Albania, Bulgaria, Costa Rica, Georgia, Guatemala, Mexico, Montenegro, Nicaragua, Serbia, Turkey
15/03/2021 - 02/04/2022
Once upon a time…we promised to pack our stuff and just go - looking for whatever is hidden behind the horizon.
Well, add a world wide pandemic, travel restrictions, cancellations and re-planning... and here we are.
Finally in on the road :)
Hiring someone (especially a couple) you have never met before must be quite tough. Offering them to live, hang out and eat with you every day makes it indeed crazy... It's gotta be something between trust, gut feeling and insticts that you have to rely on - making workaway such an interesting and refreshing platform.
In order to make your decision easier, we'd like to tell you some general things about us, our dreams and purposes, our background and skill set (see description below and pictures).
We are Katy and Archie from Germany. Both of Russian descent, living in Alemania for the better part of our lives.
We are now seeking inspiring people and experiences while doing some meaningful work along the way.
We love trying new things and are not afraid to put in manual labor ("getting the hands dirty").
We'd be happy to help and contribute in any way we can, share our experiences and in the process hopefully extend our skill set and perspective (learning from you).
We like to surround ourselves with good energy and people in a positive environment.
We are nature enthusiast and enjoy all different kinds of sports, generally relishing to be outdoors.
Well....we really hope to have the opportunity to meet you soon!
...Joint Workaway experiences...
***Dog shelter (San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico)***
- daily dog-food cooking on fire (plus wood collecting)
- feeding of 41 dogs in shelter
- giving love to the dogs all day
- washing, brushing, caring
- forest cleaning and burning of leaves for natural composting
- repairing and building of dog houses
- repairing of volunteer cabañas
- construction of wood place and tool room
- recycling of materials on the property
- organization of funding project and planning of its spending
***Eco resort (Sian Ka'an national park, Quintana Roo, Mexico)
- beach cleanup
- collecting, cutting and burning of palm leaves (in self made burn pits around the property) for natural fertilizer
- cleaning of guest cabañas and common areas
- kitchen duty for up to 20 people
- building of water conservation system
- fixing broken waterpump/-system
- tool room fix-up, sorting and arranging
- help with ceremonies
- help with art project (3m statue out of recycled jungle materials, metal and concrete)
- "DJ'ing" in the evenings
...About her in general...
Well, she really is the kindest, sweetest and most loveable person I've ever met. A beautiful emotional soul with empathy for people and attachment to animals and nature. Constantly spreading unique enthusiasm and good vibes. Always eager to learn new things and help wherever she can. Values the simple things in life and enjoys making people around her happy.
- trained industrial management associate (procurement know-how)
- customer service (couple years of experience)
- waiter in a busy restaurant
- animal care (owner of hamster and cat; succesfully milked a cow once)
- teaching English (2 weeks workaway in Indonesia)
- playing with children (2 nephews; 1 niece)
- decoration (a good eye for details and beauty in general)
- manual labor (taking care of plants/garden and admittedly quite handy when it comes to assembling furniture)
- telling jokes (good ones - in her opinion)
...About him in general...
Archie is a perfect mix of organized, caring, communicative and adventurous.
He loves being among people... deep talks about phylosophy, love and dreams as much as having a good laugh. He is also the most caring person I know and is always ready to help with anything. He is relishing every single moment in life with his whole big heart while appreciating everything he has. Generally a hardworking person who already worked at many different postitions in his life.
- project & process manager (not only professionally, but can help you with nearly every organisational topic in your life)
- housekeeping & facility management (big hotel in Banff, Canada)
- host, busser, kitchen help (Steakhouse in Canada)
- boat cover crafting (no education in this field...learned by doing it in Vancouver)
- event and field trip coordinator (working with international students during his university days)
- managed a lot of house movings including successfully installing washing machines, lamps, painting walls, organizing beers for helpers, etc.
- living on a farm (grew up in Siberia, Russia...his grandparents lived on a self-sustaining farm)
- great story teller and listener
- not getting tired of fixing stuff i manage to break somehow
***Most recent things we did/learned before the travel***
During pandemic times in Europe we decided to buy a van and use the additional time to convert it into a driving home.
We love the outdoors. Sometimes it's not easy to find pure nature when living in an urban area, but we became proud co-owners of a small piece of land close to the city where we plant vegetables and spices. We try to learn how to plant, grow, harvest and dispose our own food from Archie's (experienced) parents as much as we can.
Moreover, we are always improving the place (maintenance and painting of a small cabin), building of a treehouse for our nephews, installation of hammocks, cooking (bbq) with self-grown veggies, etc.
We have not grown into professional farmers yet, but we are always eager to learn and apply self-sustainable techniques in a world where people simply unlearned how to - incl. us...
More details about my language interests
This workawayer has indicated that they would be interested in sharing their language(s) or learning a new language. You can contact them directly to discuss this.
29 & 26
Special dietary requirements