Costa Rica, New Zealand
30/09/2017 - 01/06/2018
Hi there! My name is Sierra Lianga, I am 21 years old, and I am from Toronto, Canada. Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to read and look over my Workaway profile.
To begin really, I have always had a keen passion for people and the planet, and have actively sought jobs that could provide me with opportunities to work outdoors. I am always trying to figure out who I am in this world, and the responsibilities that come along with being this person. This passion has led me to study Indigenous Environmental Studies at Trent University in Peterborough, ON, as well as to have worked for Ontario Parks, and as a farmhand working with 100 cattle and 28 horses. I lead an active lifestyle, and find myself outdoors more often than in.
I am outgoing, self-directed, and enjoy embracing new challenges and experiences. I started putting up flyers for dog-walking services when I was 10 years old, and my past work experience demonstrates my eagerness for adventure and new experiences. After high school, I took a gap year in order to work for, save, plan, and follow through with a backpacking trip across Europe.
Over the past couple of years, I have begun to become very interested in Food Systems, and the processes required to get food from the farm to the table. I have also begun to disengage as best I can from the contemporary/industrial food system, and to seek out farming alternatives that are better for the planet, animals, and ourselves. For my Workaway experiences, I am hoping to have the opportunity to learn about and engage with different types of farming (e.g. cattle or vegetable gardening or beekeeping etc.), and to perhaps see how farming varies in different cultures, in varying countries. Really, I am trying to better understand what I am studying, and to expand the range of my knowledge. I am trying to gain some life experience! And so, I am taking a year off from school to do this. I am not only interested in plant and animal care, but the many tasks that come along with farming such as canning/preserving, cooking/baking, building, and general tinkering. Building and mechanical work are skills that I would really love the opportunity to learn and improve on.
I have been traveling for a few months now, and have had the opportunity to volunteer on 3 farms. The amount of knowledge out there is endless, and I feel quite privileged to be able to learn about farming from so many different types of people. I am looking to learn and experience all that I can, and I am up for pretty much any task. I love animals, the outdoors, food, learning, working hard, and meeting new people!
Thanks again for taking the time to read this :) If you need any further information (e.g. Resume, references etc.), or just have a few questions, then totally send me a message and I will answer right away!
Babysitting / child care
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Helping with Tourists
Help with Computers / internet
- Computer skills (Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Powerpoint, Prezi, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel);
- Animal care: my whole life's worth of experience in taking care of animals!;
- Childcare: 10 years as a babysitter for multiple families;
- Cooking skills;
- Customer service skills;
- Lots of experience in manual labour and heavy lifting;
- A bit of gardening and lots of weeding skills!!
- Self-directed: I take no issue in working independently, and can take instruction well;
- Listening skills: I love to listen to the knowledge that others hold and share, and I try to apply this knowledge as best as I can within my own work ethic;
- Strong work ethic: I understand that there is a great deal that I do not know. However, I come with the skills that I have, a good attitude, and an open mind, in the hopes of acquiring new skills and understandings respectfully and responsibly.
I like to work hard; I enjoy physical labour and getting my hands dirty. I am small but strong!;
- Patient and Attentive: Having worked with animals for most of my life, I know that the work is unpredictable, but extremely rewarding as well;
- Open-minded and personable: I love meeting new people and trying new things.
English, French, and in the process of learning Spanish
Shellfish (I have an epi-pen)
Special dietary requirements
Vegetarian, but pretty flexible depending on comfort level of the host!