I'm originally from Mauritius - a small tropical island in the southwestern Indian Ocean. I'm open-minded, easy-going, a good listener and curious to discover and learn more about different cultures. Above all, i really value meaningful and lasting friendships.
I studied electronics and computer programming in Denmark for the past 3 years and now, i am taking a break to travel and explore Europe for several months. I am eager to help in many different ways to make a positive impact around me. This approach also gives a lot of meaning to my travels.
After volunteering at several hosts in different countries, i have realised that the best experience for both volunteer and host is truly centered around these few key aspects; honesty, respect and gratitude.
I prefer slow travelling as i believe that it allows a deeper appreciation of the local people, culture and location. I enjoy hanging out with the locals and experience their way of living.
I am motivated and hard-working. I am always willing to improve or learn something new. I enjoy working alone and also as part of a team. I have several different work experiences that i would be happy to utilise while volunteering. I am very interested to participate in DIY projects, especially if they have a meaningful impact in people's lives, help communities and protect our natural environment.
I can help or assist with electronic DIY projects.
I speak and write fluent English and French. I can teach these languages. I can also speak some Hindi. The native language from my island (Mauritius) is Creole and i could also teach it as part of cultural exchange.
I have experience as a private tutor in maths for primary and lower secondary education. I could teach based on the school syllabus or assist other teachers in the classroom. I am also very interested in exploring alternative education programs.
I worked as a computer technician in the past. I can help to teach IT and also fix Windows computers.
I was a freelance website designer. I created a computer sales website, a fashion and design school website, as well as a painter's gallery and blog. I can design basic websites, including Wordpress.
I can assist and help elderly people. I helped my grandparents in their daily lives for several years. They were both above 80 years old and they had trouble moving around. For example, i would go to the shop to get their groceries and i would also help around the house.
I love pets and i like to take care of them. I have always had pets ever since i was born. I've had many dogs and cats who all lived long and happy lives.
I feel naturally inclined to get involved in community projects, especially to help the less fortunate among us. I volunteered in my country (Mauritius) to help poor communities by distributing collected donations to kids, such as clothes and books.
A few of my volunteering activities when i was living in Denmark:
1. I helped at a local meditation centre to prepare and organise the venue before big events. I felt motivated to contribute to a peaceful cause aimed at helping the local community.
2. I managed a friend's apartment which he put on Airbnb while he was travelling for several months. I welcomed new guests arriving every few days and i would give them a tour of the apartment and provided them with helpful information, such as, interesting places to visit, etc. I was also cleaning the apartment.
3. I hosted many interesting people via Couchsurfing, which is a popular website used by travellers. Here is my profile: https://www.couchsurfing.com/people/shakeelgo
I shared my meals with them and i did my best to make them feel comfortable. If i had extra time, i would also offer to take them around the city to visit some of the tourist areas.
4. I took care of my friends' Chinchilla pets for several days and on many occasions when they went away for vacation.
And my other volunteering activities while travelling in Europe:
1. I worked for 2 months on a self-sustainable and eco-friendly farm in Algarve, Portugal. I helped to design an automated water pump and irrigation system with WiFi configuration. I also learned how to operate a Bobcat to collect and carry stones which were used to build a wall. Additionally, i tutored one of the farmer's children in maths in the evening.
2. I worked as a painter for about 2 weeks in Tarifa, Spain. I helped to renovate a hostel.
3. I worked for six weeks at a no-kill dog shelter in Pula, Croatia. I helped to take care of rescued dogs who were abandoned. I worked as part of a team whose ultimate goal was to find those animals a loving home through adoption.
4. I worked for 2 months as a gardener in Labin, Croatia. I did a bit of everything from weeding to building support structures for the plants. I also did general work in the yard, including using the grass cutter machine.
5. I did house-sitting on several occasions while in Croatia. I was alone for several weeks and in charge of the house as well as garden maintenance and taking care of several pets.
6. I worked for almost 2 months to revive an abandoned property and make it into an ecofarm in Hrvatska Kostajnica, Croatia. I participated in various building and repair tasks with a DIY approach. I took care of the dogs, cat and i was also active in the garden with a focus on permaculture.
Haitian Creole: Fluent
I can adapt to almost any diet, so i'm not picky and always curious to try new kinds of food. I enjoy drinking hot tea. In my spare time, i love reading books, magazines and online articles. I like to listen and share personal stories about life and travel experiences. I really enjoy long daily walks in nature to relax, feel peaceful and stay healthy. To capture all the beautiful sights and experiences while travelling, i have taken a keen interest in photography and i also try to make short videos to immortalise the many precious and unforgettable moments.
I am a bit lactose intolerant, so i try to avoid drinking milk.
Special dietary requirements