01/09/2020 - 30/11/2020
Hello there, my name is Madi! I just finished a degree and am in the classic 'what the heck am I doing with my life' state. However, I am far from keen on falling into a oneway career for the rest of my life. I am incredibly passionate about life, adventure, connection, nature and doing what you love. My goals are unclear but they revolve around a sense of community, connection to nature and a genuine satisfaction with my daily life. I am kind, helpful, easy going and happy to meet this world and its inhabitants.
I just finished my 4-year degree off with a semester on Haida Gwaii in British Columbia where I was taught about an astounding culture and environment. It was best experience of my life and has helped shaped me as a human being. It has reaffirmed that I want to be immersed in nature, human connection and learning at all times.
I absolutely love camping, ecology, foraging, hiking, bored games, star gazing, chatting, learning, lakes, kayaking, gardening, live music and of course, dancing, even though I would not call myself skillful at it. I'm hardworking and cooperative!
I spent many years shy and unsure of myself, now I am ready to meet the world with open arms. Much love.
4 years of environmental studies and ecology
Work for a sustainable/food/native-plant based garden company
- basic gardening skills
- used to working in sun/ shovelling/ pulling weeds etc.
- have helped convert lawn to 'food forest'
- Plant ID (not an expert)
- Mushroom ID (not an expert but better than plants)
- Have done a little fish ID
- Have done a little benthic invertebrate ID
- have designed and taught 2 mushroom ID seminars to various students/grad students/ professors
- vegetation sampling protocol
- identification of 'monumental trees' on Haida Gwaii
- created and carried out undergrad. thesis project on fungi presence and diversity
- various small field studies though university
- good social skills through life and various work/ volunteer experiences
- have had some cultural safety training
- introduction to GIS
I am currently healing my knees from a little injury, however I still am able to do most work, I just take extra good care of them. I work currently in landscaping and shovel, pull weeds and wheel barrow for hours. I mainly cannot kneel and just have to treat my knees well but it hasn't been an issue with work.
Special dietary requirements
Mainly vegetarian who tries to avoid dairy and sometimes eats fish