COVID addendum: We're fortunate enough to have 3 Pfizer vaccines! Excitrd to resume our travels onward with our friend Maytal (who is connected below) eastward!
Hello! We are an American/Israeli couple living in our backpacks! We previously lived in Baltimore, MD, and embarked on our incredible journey in June 2019. At the end of our travels we're relocating Sweden where Madeline will begin medical school, and Matthew will pursue law school. Madeline grew up in San Francisco, CA, but has traveled all over Europe. She has a strong interest in sustainable farming, community, and thru-hiking. She loves the snow and she loves animals. Matthew comes from Philadelphia, PA, and really grew up in his grandfather's sign shop. He loves making a difference in the lives of children, caring for animals, and immersing himself in nature. Since we've left the states and won't be returning, becoming workawayers is perfect for our lifestyle. We love backpacking, making friends, living new cultures, trying new things, and doing meaningful work. We're lively, humble, considerate, kind, adventurous, and passionate (and we come as a set!). We're traveling all around the world for a two years and are open to going anywhere!
InterestsMountainBeachNatureCampingHitchhikingAdventure sportsWinter sportsFitnessCyclingOutdoor activitiesHikingCharity workFarmingGardeningCarpentryAnimalsPetsLanguagesArchitectureArt & design
show moreDrawing & paintingDIY & craftsBooksPhotographyLGBTQPolitics / Social justiceCultureHistoryEvents & socialPlant care
Skills and knowledge we'd like to share or learn
We're interested in:GardeningBeing an elderly companionHelping around the houseCharity WorkTeaching
Some knowledge of:DIY and building projectsGeneral MaintenanceLife at a FarmstayEco ProjectsHospitality/Tourism
Able to teach about:Babysitting and creative playCreating/ Cooking family mealsAnimal CareLanguage practiceArt ProjectsHelping with Computers/ Internet
More details about your skills
- Dairy farming. Operating milk machinery, manual and mechanical milking, strict adherence to sanitation, setup/clean up, loves cows!
- Gardening and yard work. Household care (cleaning, laundry, cooking, general maintenance).
- Childcare, nannying, CPR certified.
- Previous work in teaching ocean conservation to children
- Experience with horses. Rode competitive endurance racing for 10 years. Familiar with English tack. Grooming, paddock maintenance, lunge work.
- Animal rehab experience
- Long distance hiker who can help with trip prep (food, maps, ultralight packing) and can lead hikes or participate in trail maintenance.
- Can skin/tan hides
- Film photography hobbyist!
- Has had multiple preceptorships with physicians in hospitals and private practices. Basic laceration repair, abscess i&d, and has a strong foundation in anatomy and pharmaceuticals.
- Dairy farming. Operating milk machinery, manual and mechanical milking, strict adherence to sanitation, setup/clean up, also loves cows
- Building, basic carpentry, painting, cladding, window installation
- Household care (cleaning, laundry, cooking, general maintenance).
- Extensive teaching background (taught children from ages 2-18 math, English language, English as second language, writing, reading comprehension).
- Advised and mentored youth. Focused on teaching gender equality and bridging gaps to high school and early college young adults.
- Live-in nanny (feeding, changing, bathing, entertaining).
- Manual labor, building, assembling.
- Filming and editing.
- Creative, academic, and professional writing.
- Gardening and yard work.
- Professional organizing and arranging.
- Strong swimmer, life guard skills, CPR certified.
- Maintain water treatment system.
More details about my language interests
This workawayer has indicated that they would be interested in sharing their language(s) or learning a new language. You can contact them directly to discuss this.
26 & 27
Some more information
Shellfish, Nuts (but not peanuts! they are a legume (-: ) and only if consumed, Cherries, Pineapples, Melons, Bananas, and Avocados
Special dietary requirements
My kids loved them and we were all sad that they weren't able to