From: United States
Canada, Germany, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom, United States
01/09/2018 - 31/10/2018
Hello. My name is Karen.
First, my thoughts about Workaway/Help-X. It is a wonderful way to connect, learn, and most importantly help your hosts / receive help from workawayers. I have hosted workers in my house before. I understand that work-exchange can be great if the workers works as agreed (this is not just a free place to stay), and also if the host is understanding that the helper should have some free time to enjoy themselves with things to do. (not just free labor). I believe the the helper/host relationship is 50/50.
I am very independent and I realize that it is my responsibility to enjoy myself (not the host's responsibility).
I believe that the following would be my strongest assets as a workaway.
1) Teaching English (I have a Master's Degree in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages).
2) Helping out in a hostel or Bed & Breakfast. (I was an Airbnb host, love it and have been rated a Superhost since I started over 2 year ago.)
3) Assisting exhausted single parents with childcare/cleaning, etc. (I promise, non-judgemental if your house is not always clean. I can help there. I'll clean your refrigerator, etc., and make life easier. I understand!!.
Also interested in learning more about gardening, weeding, etc. Show me what to do and I'll do it. I am not afraid to get my hands dirty.
4). Organization projects: I have simplified this past year after I sold my large 4br house, and moved into a small condo. Very liberating and I can help you declutter.
I feel that I have a strong work ethic and it is important for me to do a good job with whatever my tasks are, and I would do my work with energy. I am very adaptable. I have no problem sharing a room in a hostel. I have plenty of customer service experience. I volunteered at the Ronald McDonald House and checked families in, provided assistance, (These were families with very sick children who needed a place to stay near the hospital). Cleaning, no problem. (good exercise). I do not use my cell phone when I am working. I am in the moment and focused.
My background. Retired from the U.S. Air Force, currently a substitute teacher for one great school in Buffalo, New York. I am early 50's, active and healthy. Optimist, non-phone addict (never when working). I plan on doing Workaway a few times a year in the future.
I love to travel and meet people from other countries. I am a very active host in a hospitality exchange club. I have also hosted workaways at my home (with HelpX).
If you are interested in learning English and want to see if we are a good match, I can give you a lesson on Skype first.
IMPORTANT: I would do a job the same way that I would expect a helper at my house to do it.
My opinion on successful work exchange is when:
1) There is good communication
2) The helper is willing to work, is low-maintenance, and is not more of a burden than is worth for the host.
3) The host explains the expectations and hours before the committment.
I have participated 3 times in a program in both Spain and Germany where I volunteered teaching English.
Painting, cleaning, weeding, teaching English,
I also like helping out an exhausted single mothers so she can have a break.
Special dietary requirements