From: United States
Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru
01/01/2019 - 31/07/2019
I usually go by "Art" from my middle name. I'm an online English instructor and I teach beginning and intermediate Spanish too. I've spent my post-college life traveling, teaching and learning. My past workaway experiences have been times of growth and learning for me. I enjoyed working on other people's projects and learning the things they're so passionate about.
My goal for 2019 is to make as many connections as possible and learn what new things I can along the way.
Things I'm particularly passionate about:
- Languages - learning languages, teaching languages, sharing fun facts about languages, empowering speakers of endangered and undervalued languages
- Beverages - I've never been much of a foodie, but I love great coffee, tea, kombucha, beer, and all sorts of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks
- Crafts - I've always been the sort to figure out how to make something rather than buy it, and to improve an existing idea to make it more aesthetic or functional. I'm limited in my personal life to small crafts because of my urban living space, but I live off others' enthusiasm for their projects and love helping with everything from renovation to decoration to creating arts and handiworks
- Botany/Agriculture - plants and ecology inherently interest me, from their beauty to the amazing processes that go into their growth and reproduction, and I would love to learn more about their care and uses.
During 2019, I plan to continue growing my online English community while on the road, so for most of my volunteering experiences, I'll ask to use wifi at least a few times a week to videoconference my students and maintain my website. My personal work and teaching schedule is flexible and will amount to no more than a few hours per week. I can potentially participate in a few short-term projects (1 or 2 weeks) that have unreliable internet or internet that don't support videoconferencing so long as it's agreed beforehand and I have time to make arrangements with my clients.
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Helping with Tourists
- Teaching - I have loads of experience in language instruction in almost every setting, from formal to informal and classroom to private, both online and in person for children and adults, professionals and students and enthusiasts.
- Hospitality - I've had various jobs in hospitality and restaurants from Dollywood Family Theme Park, to two jobs bartending and two jobs waiting tables and two Workaways managing hosts' Bed-&-Breakfasts. I love the opportunities for connection that Hospitality jobs offer and have made so many rewarding connections with people by being open and personable while serving them
- Gardening - I have experience gardening from volunteering with the Organic Horticulture club at my university and two Workaways tending hosts' gardens. I've used many manual and power tools in tending gardens and yards. I know proper harvesting methods for common fruits. I can weed properly, in a way that discourages further weed growth. I'd like to expand from these skills and experiences into small-scale agriculture.
- Language - I'm a native speaker of English and a very high-level speaker of Spanish with lots of cultural knowledge about South America and Spain. I'm conversational in French and have enough Danish to communicate rudimentary information.
- Renovation - I have some experience with home improvement and renovation through projects my family have undertaken over the years including: interior and exterior painting, demolition, reframing a structural wall (studs, insulation and drywall) and building a chicken coop and car port. I'm teachable and can handle power tools. I'm skilled with using/modifying blueprints, taking measurements and making cuts.
English, Español, Français, Dansk
Special dietary requirements