From: United Kingdom
Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Norway, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
01/05/2018 - 22/08/2018
I'm 23 years old and taking some time out of university before returning to complete the final year of my degree in Law at Northumbria University in the UK. Therefore, I'm looking for a Workaway placement that will be stimulating, challenging and memorable. Although I'm a British citizen, while growing up I lived for eight years in Cairo, Egypt and five in Al Ain in the United Arab Emirates. This means that I'm no stranger to travelling, mixing with people from different countries and backgrounds and experiencing new cultures. Upon returning from a trip to Nepal where I spent a month hiking the Annapurna Circuit, I had my first workaway placement at an eco farm in Estonia called Ulgumaa. I was there to help them with their sled dogs during the sledding season and was meant to spend around 2 months there. However, I got on so well with my hosts that I ended up staying the better part of a year, and was trusted with helping them with building work and was left alone in charge of the establishment for up to a week on multiple occasions, in addition to my duties with the dogs. I ended up developing relationships with all 20 dogs on the farm, and still follow their progress keenly. I'm sure my hosts will be happy to provide a reference on my behalf.
I'm a very active person and like to keep myself in good shape. I'm a boxer, as well as a keen footballer and runner and have trained for events such as half-marathons. I'm a member of the university boxing club, as well as an MMA gym where I recently began Thai boxing and Brazilian Jiu jitsu. Whilst at school, I completed the Gold and Silver International Duke of Edinburgh Awards which included a trip to Nepal where I helped build an orphanage. For the past few years I have also participated regularly in the restoration of an old farmhouse in the Marche region of Italy, which has involved clearing land, felling trees, laying paths and caring for hens and goats.
My hobbies include reading, watching films, and playing guitar. I've been playing since I was thirteen years old and am absolutely passionate about it. I love animals, especially dogs, and am hoping to find a placement that involves caring for them.
I pride myself on being a realistic and mature person. My degree course has been a demanding one and has taught me to apply my academic discipline and commitment to other areas of my life. My international upbringing means that I am good at finding common ground with people, regardless of nationality, culture or religion. I will bring enthusiasm, complete commitment and a good sense of humour to any placement I am offered.
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Helping with Tourists
Help with Computers / internet
- Fit and healthy, with plenty of stamina: completed demanding month-long hike in Nepal, trained for two half marathons and have done a lot of strenuous physical labour on building restoration project in Italy
- Good with animals (dog experience, especially with Greenland dogs/Golden retrievers in Estonia, and Salukis in the United Arab Emirates. Experience includes familiarity with handling, cleaning, and feeding large, wild dogs, handling litters of puppies, rigging sled equipment)
- Good time management and organizational skills (meeting academic deadlines and handling the workload of a demanding degree course)
- Good oral and written communication skills. As part of my legal studies, I regularly acted as group leader for various group projects which involved presenting information before an audience and coordinating the members of a six-person group. Also presented cases in a mock court, and led tours of the eco farm when there was a language barrier between my hosts and the tourists, introducing the dogs, explaining the sledding technique, and how the equipment worked
- Native speaker of English; also speak passable Spanish, basic Arabic and a few words of Italian and Estonian
- Computer literate
- Commitment and willingness to acquire new skills
English, passable Spanish, basic Arabic and a few words of Italian and Estonian
Special dietary requirements