Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand
01/12/2017 - 20/05/2019
My name is Maja and I just finished my masters in Social Pedagogy. I am coming from a small town in Slovenia.
Last year I have been traveling around South East Asia (Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia) for 8 months and had the time of my life, exploring new places, getting new friends <3 teaching English and making the best memories.
I fell in love in Indonesia, so this year I decided to explore more of Java, Sumatra and Kalimantan! I also know some Bahasa Indonesia and looking forward to learn more of it
along the way :) I am also learning Slovenian Sign language and Dutch. I enjoy running, cycling, hiking and long boarding. My great passion is traveling, emersing in different cultures and meeting new people :) I also love playing guitar and singing :)
I am reliable, helpful, honest, optimistic and positive person. I am happy to share my knowledge and also eager to learn! I love meeting new people, sharing stories and learning about new cultures and its customs. I am also a big animal lover and love to spend my time in nature.
Experiences with Workaway: teaching English to children, youngsters and adults in Indonesia. Babysitting and helping around the house in Kuala Lumpur. Teaching English to children, youngsters and adults in Vietnam.
My wish for the next few months while traveling around Indonesia is to share my English knowledge, hopefully also improve my Bahasa Indonesia skills :D and get to know the different cultures around the islands.
My past experiences (Slovenia): working in a Youth Centre with children and youngsters from aged 5 to 20 for six months. I helped them with homework, learning, I ran different social, educational and fun activities. I volunteered in a kindergarten with children who have autism. There was six boys in my group and they were true sunshines. I learned a lot about autism and how people perceive the world, helped them with basic tasks and most important help them with developing social skills. I was also a mentor of a 12-year boy with Aspergers. I was a menthor to children at summer holidays at the seaside.
Babysitting / child care
Cooking / shopping
Help in the house
- Social skills: Since I study Social Pedagogy I am good with working with people. I am caring and encouraging person and happy to work with children, youngster, elderly people, just people of all ages. I know how important is for children to feel excepted, not judged but encouraged and be praised for their hard work. I know some fun social games who are also really good to connect the whole group together and promote relaxed and fun climate.
- English skills: I am fluent in English and can share that knowledge with people who would like to learn this language! It is not my native language but I have been learning it from 3rd grade.
- Music skills: I play a guitar and piano and can therefore share some knowledge about music :) I really love to sing and I am sure music can make you let go of worries and promote happy environment.
- Working with animals: Geckos are cute. Dogs rule. I really love animals. They are just addorable<3 (sees a snake and runs away)
- Cooking: I am vegetarian and enjoy cooking veggie meals. I could for sure share some recipes but also love to lear about Indonesian cooking! That would be really exciting :)
English, Slovenian, learning Bahasa Indonesia, Dutch and Slovenian Sign language
Special dietary requirements