01/01/2020 - 31/10/2021
I am a 27-year-old french girl. I have quit my job of computer science engineer in March 2020, in order to follow my passion of sports and outdoor living, and to find a professional orientation that suited me.
I am currently a volunteer in In The Same Boat (ITSB) since March. As such, I am a part of a crew living on a sailboat, going from beach to beach to pick up plastic, in Northern Norway. I started quite early in the year, so I had a good taste of working under the snow! It is very physical work, as we run around, up and down islands while carrying heavy bags, picking several tons of plastic every day. I also passed my boat licence there I had planned to stay only two months, but I liked it so much that I am now planning on staying until December.
My plan for later is to get an education as an arctic guide. I would like to find a workaway that is in that spirit: working in the nature, if possible with tourists, in rough weather conditions. I also would like to have a workaway that involves physical work. Indeed, before leaving France, I used to play rugby and practice weightlifting; I kept on exercising while working in ITSB, and the actual work also kept me in a good shape.
The very best would be to work in a sled dog kennel.
French is my native language, and I speak English fluently. I am learning Norwegian - I can hold a basic conversation. I also speak a bit of Russian.
People describe me as chill, easy-going and open-minded.
I am easily pleased : I am used to sharing a bedroom with lots of people for long periods of times, I can sleep on any surface, and I eat anything. I am easily entertained, and I love learning new skills.
One of the atmospheres I love the most is an international atmosphere, with lots of people from around the world. I also love to be totally immersed in a country's daily life - and I think workaway is perfect for that.
Anything new, foreign or uncommon is exciting for me.
I am experienced in the culture-sharing world, as I did quite a lot of couchsurfing : I had over thirty surfers at my place during one month and a half last year - you can check my couchsurfing profile : Juliette Rouëssé.
Also, I hosted a few workawayers for two months to help me renovate my appartment (https://www.workaway.info/en/host/128149476668).
Here is the skills and experiences I think can be useful for you.
- I have a boat license
- I have played a lot of sports (amongst which weightlifting, running, and 12 years of rugby), so I'll be able - and happy ! to work outside and do physical work. I am currently in a good shape, as I have been working for more than six months picking up plastic (which includes a lot of running around uphill and downhill, while carrying heavy bags). I have also been doing workouts with the boat crew in addition to that work.
- I can speak French (my mother tongue), and English. I have already given French and English private lessons. I speak a bit of norwegian and russian.
I love using my language skills, so I would be very glad to help you with translation work.
- I can help you with basic computer problems, as I am a computer science engineer.
- I have experience working with kids, as I babysat a lot for a year, two years ago. I get on very well with them.
I also like to discover new activities, new places, new people. I am easily happy and excited.
I can play a little bit of guitare, and I love to discover new music, especially electronic music, but also local and traditional music.
There are three experiences that I would love to have as a workawayer :
- a sailing experience (done!)
- an experience in a temple (maybe a buddhist temple?)
- an experience in a farm or kennel
Special dietary requirements