From: United Kingdom
05/10/2020 - 30/08/2021
Hi there! My name is John Barnes and I am a 19-year-old student born and raised in London currently on my gap year very keen to experience being immersed into different cultures around the world.
I work for a farmers market stall and have worked on a farm for some time, I have a lot of interest in agriculture so working on a farm or doing gardening would be fantastic. I speak Spanish at an intermediate level, although I do not study languages, I would love to learn as much as possible whilst travelling. I am also a great animal person, I had a dog for a few years which I loved and looked after. I would love to volunteer to help as much as possible on my Workaway experience and learn from my hosts!
Travelling has always been a passion of mine and I am very excited to embark on some more journeys in 2021. This winter I spent 2 months travelling through Norway doing workaways which was beautiful, and now I am really keen to travel through Central America! A beautiful place of the world which I cannot wait to learn all about.
- I have over three years experience working at a farmers market stall selling fruit and vegetables, thus I have strong social and interpersonal skills from working in the customer service industry.
- My current job along with work on a farm means I have developed a passion for agriculture and working outdoors. I have strong skills working in gardening and farm work. I have also done work experience as a landscape gardener which reinforces this, I am keen and passionate for any outdoors work!
- I have been brought in an environment where contributing at home is very important, cleaning and cooking is a must at home. I have been cooking a few meals a week for my family for a long time now and love to be able to cook for others. Looking after the place I stay at is very important to me, I am always happy to do the cleaning around the house.
-In previous workaways I have worked with hunting dogs so I have a strong relationship with working with animals, also have a lot of woodwork and carpentry so any DIY and renovation work required is great for me!
- I have done volunteering work for a homeless shelter in my area, setting up accommodation for rough sleepers and also interacting with them, thus I am comfortable living and learning from people I have recently become acquainted with.
- I have A*s and As at A-Level for Maths, History and Economics. I have a great interest in historical and economic discussions whilst my Mathematics skills are very strong.
More details about my language interests
I would love to improve my Spanish and also help teach English.
I am a huge fan of sports and cuisine! I would love to have discussions with my hosts over local sports and cooking of the area I will be travelling in.
Special dietary requirements