I have just returned to Canada for two more years of life adventures and experiences.
During my various visits to Canada I have worked mostly in hospitality; in hostels, lodges, cafes and for ski resorts. I also have some years experience in customer service, having worked in sports retail both in Canada and the UK. I realise that I liked these roles because I enjoy helping people and want to contribute to a good experience. I’d like to apply these skills and others, to jobs that are more focused on strengthening our communities. As a (sort of) new-comer to Canada, I think WorkAway is an excellent opportunity for me to immediately be of use to someone and at the same time get to know a community. Pre-Covid, it was my intention to be a bit more settled. Although I would love to be cycling about with a little tent again, the time to move around less is now.
Some of my most rewarding jobs were volunteer opportunities. The most recent being a volunteer coordinator for Rossland (BC) Winter Carnival; which I did for two seasons. Another was the front of house for a busy community hub in Bristol UK. I am used to learning on the go, then training others and finding ways to do it better or make the job easier for the next person!
I am happy to do a variety of tasks, inside and outside. I have looked after a couple of vegetable patches back in the UK, but growing up in London, I do not have much experience in agriculture or permaculture. I’m ready to muck in and learn how we can become more resilient. I enjoy cooking and the occasional bake (if at sea level!).
If there is a French speaker I'd be keen to practice french language.
(If it is the winter I am very keen to learn about mountain safety and ski touring/split boarding. I have done some courses (Avalanche Safety/Wilderness First Aid) and have most the equipment. For me the mountains are my favourite place to be.)
I look forward to meeting you soon :)
Skills and knowledge I'd like to share or learn
I'm interested in:GardeningCreating/ Cooking family mealsGeneral MaintenanceLife at a FarmstayEco ProjectsHelping around the houseAnimal CareLanguage practice
Some knowledge of:Charity WorkArt ProjectsHelping with Computers/ Internet
Able to teach about:Hospitality/Tourism
More details about your skills
- My experience working in retail and hospitality has developed customer service and inter-personal skills
- I am computer literate and have good communication skills.
- Being creative was something that came naturally to me before university, where writing skills became more important. I still have a passion for art and textiles, but now regularly miss opportunities for these. I would therefore gladly help with any messy art project!
- Cooking and preparing healthy meals is something I enjoy at home and would be happy to share.
- I am a well organised and tidy worker.
- I enjoy working outside and doing garden tasks; equally happy to potter on by myself or with company.
Some more information
Special dietary requirements
Joanne and Dale
Joanne and Dale