10/02/2019 - 15/02/2019
Hi, my name is Famke, 45 years old, from Amsterdam and ready to go. I am a positive person who tends to wake up happy.
When it comes to work, I'm very flexible. It's usually the people I work with that make my day.
As much as I like the city, more and more I love to spend time out in natural surroundings.
Thrice before did I venture out with Workaway, once at an amazing place in the north of Argentina Patagonia next on a lovely natural farm on the beautiful island of Evia (Greece) and more recently I worked an enjoyable five days at a green oasis in my own country, Holland. On all occasions the work entailed outdoor work, which I truly love.
On the farm in Greece we had chickens, goats, sheep, two pigs, three dogs and two cats. It was part of our work to make sure they got fed and watered. I was given main responsibility over the 60 or so chickens. I grew fond of them. They are so funny, like how they will pick at anything that is presented to them. Or how they can be very relaxed or very cranky and the way they all perch on a stick at dawn. I learned that chickens snore!
Another thing I loved at the farm was the food that we were eating. It was all fresh, straight from our land. So tasty and exciting.
Back home I have currently gone back to work as a waitress. I have recently started my own business as an English and Dutch teacher. Both with the very effective and fun method called TPRS.
To me Workaway is a very rewarding and inspiring way to travel. I look forward to my next Workaway address!
- Fluent in Dutch and English. Can manage pretty well in Spanish and German. And I can get around in French.
- I have a diploma as a Coach for Children, I attained this by following a one year course. Coaching children means helping them find their own ways to deal with situations and emotions. These situations can be bullying, divorce, arguing etc.
I help the kids through listening and creative activities and games.
- I love kids and get along well with them.
- I have an English teacher degree.
- I dare say I'm pretty skillful at working with tools and enjoy doing so.
- I know the drill when it comes to painting. Meaning I know about cleaning, sanding, taping, base-layers etc. woodwork etc.
- Know the basics of working with a sowing machine
- Know basic knitting
- Enjoy cooking
- I am good with Office software
- I have lots of experience with working in bars and restaurants. So I can easily serve from a tray and I have developed an eye for cleanliness in a restaurant/ bar. I am very service minded.
- I am a basic horse rider
- I have a driving license
- I have experience with being on the water. Love it. Have never been seasick.
- I enjoy sports; amongst others squash, tennis, cycling, hiking.
- Love dancing
I love music. Many different types of music. E.g. JJ Cale, Nina Simone, Nick Drake, Nielson, Crazy-P, Ramsey Lewis, Tony Allen, ABBA, Adele, Van Morrisson, Dr. Jon, Doe Maar, Douwe Bob, Barbra Streisand, Claptone, Mercedes Sosa, Hugh Masakela, Andre Hazes, Harry Belafonte, Elvis Presley, Loyle Carner, Celia Cruz, Jorge Drexler, Amy Winehouse, Tom Waits and many many more.
With music comes dancing, another thing I love.
Special dietary requirements
I have very recently decided to mainly eat whole foods. Where possible unpacked. Less plastic and better health at the same time.