From: United Kingdom & Slovakia (Slovak Republic)
Indonesia, Laos, Nepal, Thailand, Vietnam
01/05/2019 - 30/04/2020
We are Donna and Mat - an English-Slovak couple currently traveling the world. After two years of saving every penny, we left the UK in May 2019 to spend a year exploring our planet.
We believe Workaway is the perfect platform to meet local people, to learn about their lives, and to stay away from busy tourist areas. As experienced Couchsurfers, we have loved meeting people from all over the world, however, we feel the time has come to use our days more productively by volunteering our time, and in exchange broaden our knowledge of the places we are visiting.
Babysitting / child care
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Helping with Tourists
Help with Computers / internet
- I have experience working with children and have qualifications in childcare and education - I have previously worked as a nanny,
- I have worked with Elderly people to support their needs to live independently in their own home,
- I have just left my job in the UK (for 12 months) working for a mental health charity - specifically working with individuals with mental ill health in their local communities and in their homes,
- I am very passionate about working with animals and have a dog (Lola) who is currently living on Mats farm in Slovakia,
- I have supported local dog rescue charities to re-home dogs,
- I have worked as a cleaner previously so know how to take care of a household,
- I am a keen hiker.
- I have a degree in English and Russian + experience teaching English, so I am happy to assist with language learning,
- I grew up on a farm in Slovakia, which has prepared me for any manual tasks from looking after animals to construction,
- For 4 years I renovated houses in the UK, so I am familiar with precise use of various power tools,
- I have rich experience working in tourism and services (summer seasons in Greece, Slovakia, and the UK),
- Photography is one of my passions + I am competent in computer skills.
Donna - English native speaker, Mat - native speaker Slovak, Czech, fluent English, intermediate Russian, beginner Greek/German
31 & 31
Donna - I love hiking, so everywhere I go, I try to be close to nature, preferably national parks with a lot of hidden places. We're both keen readers and board-game players ( we especially enjoy beating everyone in Catan or Risk). I love playing cards often, much to Mat's dismay.
After last year's knee surgery, I am trying to get back to full strength doing Yoga whenever I can.
Mat- I like moderate walking (what Donna calls walks, I call hikes :), but I do appreciate her dragging me out, since it allows me to take pictures and videos. My favorite pass time is watching tonnes of films, mainly history related. I also love reading - mostly philosophy, which started with Henry David Thoreau's Walden years ago.
Donna - dairy
Special dietary requirements
We're vegetarians, however we're not militant about it :)