05/05/2020 - 20/10/2020
I have recently returned from a trip to Chile, South America, in which I engaged in several workaway projects including an organic garden in southern Patagonia, a spiritual retreat centre, a yurt project on a small island off
the coast of Chiloe, a music conservatory and an isolated campsite in Cochamo valley. Since returning, I have realised that its not necessary to travel half way across the world to meet interesting and inspiring people. Therefore, I am searching for workaways closer to home. For example, I recently volunteered on an organic farm in north Mayo, helping some gorgeous people realise their dream, while learning from the experience myself.
I am a forester by profession and I have recently been awarded a research masters in this field. I have a passion for wildlife, birds in particular, and sustainable living. I love to experience different cultures to understand their ways of living, which helps me to develop as a person. I have a deep respect for consciousness, and would like to explore different aspects of spirituality through yoga, meditation, and by other means. I'm also a musician and I play Irish traditional music on the flute, which accompanies me on most journeys.
As I mentioned previously I'm a forester by profession and I have both practical and theoretical skills in this respect. For example, I spent 5 months in Iceland cutting down trees for forest management purposes using a chainsaw. I can also use software such as ArcGIS, and I have the ability to write in a manner that is both informative and easily eligible.
I have had many experiences to develop my people skills including:
- I have presented multiple presentations regarding college work and my research project, and i have presented about climate change in rural Kenya to local NGO staff and villagers.
- I have worked in several hospitality jobs such as in a vegetarian hostel along the Camino de Santiago, where I cooked, and served food and drinks to pilgrims. In this same hostel, I also worked in the garden, tending to vegetables and landscaping.
- I have volunteered at festivals, Celtica, for example, is a celtic festival at the foot of Mount Blanc, in Italy, where I participated in construction activities such as the taking down of wooden stalls, sign posts, building fences, cleaning, etc.
- I also have taught the tin whistle and the Irish traditional flute to classes and individuals in Ireland and abroad. For example, I gave flute workshops whilst playing at the Glenfleadh festival in Tesserete, Switzerland in 2018.
- From my volunteering experience in Chile I worked in many different circumstances. For example, in the organic garden in Torres del Paine, they use a biointensive system, and so I learned how to create seed beds, cultivate seedlings, transplanting and maintenance following this system. In the spiritual retreat centre I worked with bees and several other activities, from painting to shingling and landscape gardening. On the yurt project, I helped with the construction of a house and organic gardening. I further carried out maintenance work in a music conservatory and helped to run a campsite in Cochamo, which involved working at reception and engaging with customers.
- Ongoing workaways in Ireland. I recently volunteered on a small (25 acre) organic farm that produces sheep cheese as well as organic eggs in North Mayo. Activities included feeding animals (sheep, pigs and chickens), clearing vegetation using a strimmer, filling a drain with gravel using a small tractor, and flailing fields, among other general maintenance.
I am interested in wildlife photographing and I particularly enjoy taking pictures of birds. I love gardening, and I help my parents in their allotment when not workawaying. I love to cook, and I enjoy tasting all types of food. I am also interested in trekking, - I have trekked in the Himalayas and the Andes, as well as several mountain ranges in Europe, and I have been to the Amazon in Brazil. I also like to rock climb. Other hobbies that I do to keep fit include jogging, cycling and yoga.
Special dietary requirements