*** IMPORTANT INFORMATION ***
Unfortunately, we cannot host volunteers for the moment.
We're so sorry for this, but we live a very tense period of our life.
After two and a half year of renovations, we are currently busy with moving into our "new" 250-year-old farm house. We have no guest room yet and not enough time to share our knowledge with you, so as just spending good time with you.
The conditions are not like we would expect them to be, if we were you. So, to be in line with our deontology, we prefer not to host anyone until our new house is completely finished.
We thank you for your understanding.
Looking forward to welcome volunteers soon.
We keep our profile updated.
Mira (41), Dennis (42) and little Julian (3) live in a 250 years old renovated house in a small but lovely village called, EPPELDORF.
In 2012, we bought some land near DIEKIRCH with a marvelous view over the Sure Valley. Since then, we are busy to install an ORCHARD with 50 trees (old traditional an typical regional fruit varieties) and a vegetable garden with a permaculture design. Many projects, like tree planting & pruning, fencing, hay making with scythe and an oldtimer tractor, building of an animal shelter and a handicraft place, composting, bee keeping, installing an irrigation system, building a compost toilet,,... have been accomplished so far.
In 2014, we started an ambitious project related to the construction of a DRY STONE WALL. Passionate by old building techniques, we warmly welcome volunteers to share this old knowledge and learn how to build a wall without any mortar to bind stones together.
2014-2015 we traveled 1 year around Europe to work as volunteers at different farms. This was a great experience, that´s why we decided to be hosts ourselves.
2016 we hosted our first volunteers.
In January 2017, Julian was born and completed our family.
2018 we bought an OLD FARMHOUSE in EPPELDORF, a village not far from the city we live in. The house is currently being renovated with the help of an architect and several handicraft firms. We want to create a multiple family house and are looking for the right partner families to do so.
DIY and building projects
Babysitting and creative play
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help around the house
This project could involve children. For more information see our guidelines and tips here.
During the renovation work, we'll share our knowledge about renovation skills, architecture, handy skills, ... At the orchard, general information about gardening, bee keeping, fruit tree pruning, preservation of food, sheep, dry stone wall techniques, ... can be transmitted.
Dennis and Mira speak 5 languages (French, German, English, Luxemburgish and Dutch).
MIRA is biologist and has worked as a nature reserve manager. She has a solid knowledge about local biodiversity, geology and landscape. Used to lead guided tours for tourists and groups, she loves to tell and explain & share knowledge.
DENNIS is a part-time gardening teacher at a secondary school and part-time circus artist. He is very enthusiastic to initiate the basics of partner acrobatics and other techniques.
We are looking for
- motivated people (construction skills are welcome but not essential)
- preferably a COUPLE or FAMILY
Next to the work in the Orchard, we are RENOVATING AN OLD FARMHOUSE! This will be the first priority (especially during winter time). Nevertheless, we will do a little maintenance work at our orchard. Part of the work could also be taking care of our little boy and helping in the household, so that we have time to work at the house.
Work at the new house we just moved in (EPPELDORF):
- taking part in daily chores (cooking, washing up, ...)
- tidiying up the construction site and getting rid of stuff: debris, ...
- making preserves
Activities at the orchard (DIEKIRCH):
- get ahead with the construction of the dry stone wall
- small building and repair projects, ...
- pruning fruit trees (Winter)
- planting and harvesting (Spring & Summer)
Childcare is also possible, but only if you like to do it! Julian goes to school 5 mornings a week.
!!! IMPORTANT NOTE !!!
We have been volunteers during a year in several farms in Europe and appreciated it to work WITH the hosts and not FOR the hosts. We look for volunteers who are OK with working 20h/week and give a hand at the household chores. The rest of the week you are free to travel and discover our surroundings.
This host offers a language exchange
This host has indicated that they are interested in sharing their own language or learning a new language.
Please contact them directly for more information.
We just moved in a old renovated house in a small but lovely village called Eppeldorf. We offer a room with 2 single beds which can be put toghether and a private bath room. Meals will be prepared and eaten together.
The orchard is located in Diekrich, 7 km away from our house.
Eppeldorf, our place, is located in Luxembourg's Little Switzerland, the Mullerthal Region. This unique biotope is characterized by surprising sandstone rock formations.
Our village is connected to public transport (1 min walk to get to the bus station, 1 bus per hour). The bus goes to the train station in Diekirch.
- 25 minutes by train to Luxembourg City offering plenty of possibilities to visit the UNESCO World Heritage City Fortifications.
- 35 minutes by train to Clervaux hosting the Family of Man Photo Exhibition from Edward Steichen (part of the UNESCO's Memory of the World Register)
- in Luxembourg (country) you can find lot of castles (Vianden, Beaufort, Bourscheid , ...) and other historical sites (World War II, museums, roman sites, ...) all not further than 1 hour traveling.
- there is also a big hiking network starting at our city ("Escape Ardennes-Eislek Trail") or very accessible by public transport (like the Mullerthal Trail for example)
- a very beautiful lake with a hoover dam is also near our place (20-30 min by car) or by bus, ideal for swimming or sunbathing
- In the neighbouring countries: Paris is 2h00 by train; Brussels is 3h00 by train or 2h00 by car; Aachen, Maastricht are 2h00 by car; ...
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
This host has indicated that they love having digital nomads stay.
This host can provide space for campervans.
Maximum 25 hours a week
These are extra optional ratings when members leave feedback. The average rating left for each option is displayed.
Accuracy of profile: