Favourited 30 times
Hi there! hope this message finds you well! below you will find a short introduction about myself, the organisation I represent and as well the goals we are planning to achieve.
I am Clive, born and raised in, Zejtun, Malta. In 2008 I did my first Degree in Art & Italian Education and since then I have been working as an Art teacher in Middle and Senior State Schools. In the meantime I have built a dual career in Education and the Tourism Industry, where my experience took me also into managing four different English language schools's customer services, activities and residence operations, at the end becoming a centre co-ordinator and as well an activities co-ordinator for events for adult learners, while still teaching Art & Design in Secondary Schools. Why I did this? because I really enjoyed meeting different cultures and it also helped me into broadening my knowledge, therefore I did not even consider tourism as a job, but as a passion. During the past two years I have expanded my knowledge by doing a diploma in Digital Marketing, an o'level in Spanish language, a Master Degree in Arts & Culture Management which included setting up a festival in Rome as a credit, and now I am sitting for another Master Degree in Tourism and Culture. These I believe are an extra asset, not for me to expand, but to expand the organisation I represent.
While doing a full-time job and a part-time job at one go, I have decided to start setting up a non-profit organisation, with the aim to address something which in Malta was not being promoted at the time... A hands-on Arts community, this was officially setup in 2012 and still going up to nowadays. The aim of the organisation includes but is not limited to bring together artists of different disciplines, create opportunities for them, and as well give educational workshops, and collaborate with local communities. I must admit running an organisation is not an easy task, whatever its size is, it involves a lot of thought and paper work... But when it is done at your own pace and time, things might feel a bit easier. Our concept is to believe in quality and not in quantity.
If you read till here and would like to send me a message please write "I read your profile" together with the subject of the message, this in order for me to help me understand whom I should take on board or not :)
One of my many projects now involves in livening up the organisation, and make use of my 'new' home as a living space, personal studio and as well as a community based workshops space for artists coming from different backgrounds. Therefore the aim is a philanthropical one and involves the aspects of the Arts & Cultural sectors.
DIY and building projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help around the house
Travellers will have the opportunity to help a likeminded person who has a hands-on vast knowledge about the Arts Sector, Social media management and the tourism industry. Therefore they will be expanding their knowledge in operations, events management and marketing. Apart from the above, they will also have the opportunity to learn the following:
- Language exchange (Italian (Fluent), Spanish (Intermediate) , French (Basic) , English (Fluent), Maltese (Fluent), Russian (Basic)
- Creating a Network with local artists and cultural minded people
- Developing their own arts workshops
- Living in a multicultural mindset of an environment
- Lifelong learning educational tasks
- Documenting via written and visual skills
- Visiting the island (Performance award)
In order to improve the concept of the organisation, this year I have decided to purchase a medium sized typical maltese townhouse situated in the central harbour district, in a sub-urban town called Marsa (For more info. about the house please check 'type of accommodation' section) the idea is to have assistants (training will be provided in case needed) helping me mainly with one or some of the following tasks:
PLEASE NOTE THE PRIORITY TASKS ARE MARKED WITH AN ASTERIX *😃
- General assistance with the organisation
- General assistance with my studio practice
- *General assistance with home works and Maintenance.
General assistance with the organisation, might include but is not limited to:
1. Assistance or replacement whenever necessary of running of workshops
2. *Assistance in updating social media, by creating social media calendar (Facebook, Instagram, Website, Tiktok, Linkedin)
3. Assistance in promoting events and expanding the artistic network
4. Assistance in writing reports or visually documenting events and workshops
5. Bringing in New Ideas
6. *Might be asked to be one of our drawing models (This at your discretion)
7. Attending Exhibitions, book launches and cultural events on behalf of the organisation
8. Help with the branding of the organisation
General assistance with my studio Practice
1. Assistance with visually documenting my work
2. *Assistance with promoting and curating my work
3. Assistance with hands-on items
General assistance with home works and Maintenance.
1. *Paint jobs
2. Tile laying
3. Upkeep and cleaning of the house
4. Cooking if needed
5. Other maintenance which might crop up.
This host offers a language exchange
This host has indicated that they are interested in sharing their own language or learning a new language.
Please contact them directly for more information.
Your accommodation will be based in a typical Maltese two story townhouse, in a quite typical Maltese street, close to the Valletta Grand Harbour.
You will be staying in a shared twin room (with the possibility that you will be on your own in some occassion) thus if you are willing to do some extra hours or you are a hardworking person, you have the possibility to be upgraded to a single double bedroom. Both bedrooms are on the first floor, and there is no wheelchair accessibility.
The bathroom is shared and can be found on the ground floor
The kitchen is still under maintenance, therefore at the moment what I can provide is a hotplate to cook your meal, an electric grill, a kettle and a fridge.
The house also have an access to a large roof terrace, and a small internal yard. It is located few minutes walk to the Valletta Grand Harbour and Valletta! while it is also close to all amenities. A grocery store can be found around the corner from the house, together with the town square and take aways are about a 20min walk, while bus stops can take you pretty everywhere.
On your first day, you will be given an orientation walk around the town in order to help you settle in!
Tips and Hints for workawayers!
1. Communication is a must, if I receive one phrase messages they will be ignored, I believe one must sell himself properly in order to have the possibility to earn the opportunity,
2. It is an added plus when you are pro-active, example, if you are asked a task to paint a door, it would be appreciated that the work is checked and if there is a second coating needed to be done, I believe one must not wait for instructions in order to do so, it is part of the learning experience.
3. If you are at the age of 23 and over and you have acquired a lot of experience or a diploma/Degree you will get priority in selection,
4. If you send a message using your own language, probability is that you will be declined, since proficiency in the English language is a must to join our experience.
During your time off, you can visit the city of Valletta which is about 20 minutes walk from my house, you also have the opportunity to take the bus to any location, considering that the house is located in a central area and the bus stops are more or less about 5-10 minutes walk from the location. You might also have the privilege to have the house for yourself most of the time.
In case of extra performance there will also be awards such as Island visits, dinners or even in case or in case if there are other volunteers in the house, and you build up the experience you would have the possibility to become a co-ordinator.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
Maximum 2-3 hours a day, 5 days a week