About the Organization:
The Foster Care home, is a non-for profit organisation that works with child and teenage girls that have been removed from their homes due to abuse, neglect or other family dysfunction. The institution provides a comprehensive array of services such as housing, food, clothing, jurisdictional services, psychological, educational and medical support, in addition to different cultural and recreational activities.
With a humanist approach, the institution strives to deliver the adolescent and teenage girls that live within the house, an integral development, a full and productive childhood and adolescence, and the necessary tools to prepare them for their future.
In order to achieve this, the organization has an integral educational model based on six areas that we consider central in human development and that enclose different general aspects of life such as: education, responsibility, spirituality and solidarity, culture and recreation, as well as, physical, mental and emotional health.
About the girls living in the organization:
The girls that arrive to the institution are usually between 6 and 21 years old, having been removed from their homes by a government authority due to intrafamily violence, abuse, neglect or the loss of their parents and come in a vulnerable state because these painful experiences.
Babysitting and creative play
Help with Computers/ Internet
This project could involve children. For more information see our guidelines and tips here.
Throughout an active participation with the child and teenage girls in the house, and the involvement in their every day activities, the volunteer will definitely be immersed in a new culture. This will be vey enriching since it can make him or her have a wider perspective and understanding of the world.
Volunteers , will experience an encounter with social issues; encouraging respect, solidarity and reflection, values that enable social conscience.
About the Volunteering Program:
This project offers international volunteers the opportunity to get involved in a long-term project with the organization. The volunteers will help the girls with their homework, teach them english classes an develop recreational activities. Throughout an active participation with the adolescent and teenage girls in the house, the involvement in their every day activities, the volunteers will not only contribute with their knowledge, talent and time, but could also become good role models for the girls.
Additionally, volunteers will experience an encounter with social issues; encouraging respect, solidarity and reflection, values that enable social conscience.
Offer experiences that yield in participants’ personal and professional growth, while enabling the accomplishment of organizational goals.
- Help the girls with their daily homework
- Teach the girls english classes
- Develop different recreational and sports activities.
Includes without cost:
- Accommodations and 3 meals a day inside the organization in case its required. It is a medium size room only for girls. One complete bathroom, a small living room with a TV and Bunk beds. You can look at some pictures in the profile.
LOCATION: Mexico City. Nicolás Bravo, Bis Col. Santa María Tepepan, Delegación Xochimilco.
FREE TIME: Los embarcaderos de Xochimilco, Dolores Olmedo Museum, The flower and plant market.
General Volunteering requirements:
The volunteers have to:
- Have a proactive attitude, with a lot of energy;
- Have emotional strength;
- Be open minded to comprehend other realities different from its own;
- Be empathetic and have a genuine interest for the well being of others;
- Like sharing and relating to other children and young people;
- Previous experience with vulnerable people is desired;
- Must contract a travel insurance that covers accidents, loss by theft and health problems during the volunteering period;
- Speak some spanish language(50%);
- Present with your application one recommendation letter;
- Present Resume
- In case its necessary, obtain the corresponding VISA for the volunteering period.
- Present a Health Certificate signed by physician.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
More than two
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week