We are a family of four living in the Washington, D.C. Metro Area. Kim is a Conservation Biologist working for the Federal government and also has a start up business offering eco-travel to teachers and families. Frank is British and is a Software Engineer and IT Manager for a conservation non-profit organization. We are outdoors people who like to camp, kayak, and travel. Our daughters are in a French immersion program and are fluent French speakers.
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Help with Computers / internet
We live in the Washington, D.C., Frank is British, and our girls speak French. We feel that our location offers easy access to the Smithsonian and everything in the capital area. We travel to England and Scotland every other year and sometimes to Quebec on off years. We also manage other trips away and would love you to travel with us.
We are interested in meeting new people and always enjoy meeting people from other cultures and countries. As Kim works full time, is starting her own Ecotravel business, our family could use help with some of these things --
1) managing some of our routine activities and schedules, such as groceries, scheduling, driving kids from place to place
2) daily house cleaning and tidying
3) occasional child care. Both our girls are in school so we don't have a big need for child care, but back up is always good, especially for days when they are off school but we have work.
4) we do not require a French speaker, but if you do speak French it would be nice to have someone who speaks French to the girls at home and can help with homework, as neither of us is fluent.
5) if you speak a language other than English, we would love it if you could speak with our girls in your language to teach them
6) Assist with maintaining our BnB when it is booked (washing bedding, towels, etc.; cleaning bathroom; dusting; sweeping/vacuuming floors, etc)
7) Helping with homework, such as reading, math, science, and social studies
8) Cooking dinner; making a meal plan, buying groceries
9) driving or cycling the kids to or from school
10) picking up the kids from the bus stop on certain days
11) packing school lunches
For our small start up Ecotravel business:
1) helping with website design
2) social media and marketing
3) some trip design
4) translation if you speak a foreign language, possibly guide a trip or help design one, to a country or place you know well
Other desired attributes:
1) someone who enjoys active outdoor activities and willing to engage in activities such as cycling, swimming, kayaking
2) someone with initiatives and can work independently and 'take charge' when necessary to get things done
3) positive attitude is a must
4) must be a positive role model for children
5) must be flexible
6) strongly prefer someone who can drive
7) mature and super, super safe. Safety is always first and foremost in our home
8) willing to pitch in like one of the family, as an equal, and help out with daily chores, such as washing dishes, making dinner, tidying up, etc.
We need someone who will stay with us full time. Occasional weekend trips to NYC or other local areas totally make sense, but we are not interested in Workawayers who wish to stay with us on weekdays and live away on the weekends.
Schedule / philosophy:
We don't actually have a rigid schedule because we are looking for someone who wants to live with our family as part of our family and become close companions and friends with our girls. Of course we want you to go out and enjoy yourself -- sight see, visit friends, and go out in the evenings, etc., but we do not feel comfortable with Workawayers who want to use us to check a list of assigned jobs for a prescribed hours of 'service'. Our situation is that you are here with us, you will want to go out and see the area while the kids are at school and sometimes on the weekends, and that you would go out in the evenings when you want, but that you are part of the family and will want to do things with us as well. We don't think of your stay as "free time" and "non free time". It's more about integrating with us and doing other things you enjoy while you are here too.
We encourage you to ask us any questions you have about this arrangement, our philosophy, and our needs so we are both clear and comfortable with the arrangement! :-)
English, French, some Spanish
We have an apartment in our basement, which we rent out for BnB. You are welcome to sleep there when it is not being used. It has a separate shower, toilet, and sink and a separate entrance from the outside. We have a private bedroom for you in our upstairs and you would share our bathroom upstairs. We have a half bathroom on our main floor.
Historic sites around Washington, D.C., such as the Smithsonian Museums, Capitol, White House, Theatres, pubs, night clubs, and natural areas and parks. We are on the Metro line and have rail and bus transport throughout the city.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Maximum 3 hours a day, 5 days a week