Are you a good horse rider? Would you like to help take out rides and school and train our horses for Dressage and Jumping? Do you enjoy riding in the countryside? We have had volunteers helping us for over 10 years now.
We need your help exercising horses, taking out rides and improving our stables and farm, making it more self-sufficient and eco-friendly. There are over twenty horses and other animals on the yard.
Our riding centre is a family run business that was opened in 1988. We offer our clients a wide range of activities suitable for novice to experienced riders from one hour to all day rides and also lessons on basic riding, jumping, dressage, TREC and horse care and management.
Please be aware that we appreciate volunteers to stay and contribute to our farm for at least ONE MONTH or longer! IN THE SUMMER MINIMUM STAY IS TWO MONTHS. When applying as a volunteer with us, please include your hoped for start and end dates in your initial contact.
Hilfe bei Ökoprojekten
Betreuung von Tieren
We hope that during your stay with us that you will enjoy meeting and socialising with local people as well as improving your public relation skills by meeting other volunteers and our clients from all over the world.
Our ethos is to be Ecological so you will learn how to save water, live with natural energy, produce your own food and Re-Cycle waste in order to reduce your carbon footprint.
Dieser Host bietet Unterkunft und Bezahlung.
We are looking for happy, friendly volunteers, with a great attitude to life, who can ride horses (English style) and want to stay for more than a month and are willing to assist us with all aspects of our riding centre in the West Algarve. There will be plenty of riding for capable riders.
We require your help with the following:
- general care of horses and other animals,
- preparing horses for rides,
- helping with lessons,
- schooling young and competition horses,
- helping take out rides (experienced riders),
- riding centre maintenence including weeding and painting buildings,
- caring for our other animals,
- gardening and watering plants.
- cleaning and tidying the communal areas of the riding centre.
This project is suitable for volunteers traveling on their own, come join us and make new friends. Unfortunately we cannot accept any volunteers with pets due to the amount of animals we already have on the farm.
Other projects we may require your help with on the farm are:
- Our permaculture garden with raised beds. It is our hope that the family and volunteers will be able to grow enough vegetables, fruit and herbs for the whole year. We have free range chickens that give us eggs. More veggies need to be planted as do fruit trees and a herb garden.
- Smoking, curing and preserving food for later use.
- Rebuilding another outbuilding that is slowly falling down and next summer (June, July and August), if we can get hold of the building materials, we would like to remove it and re-build a straw bale house consisting of one bedroom and a bathroom. Anyone that has any experience with this type of building technique please contact us now!
- We have 4 hectares of scrub land with rocks that needs clearing and turning to better use. Our project for this land is to plant Carob Bean trees and put a flock of approximately 50 sheep and some beehives on it. There is also another building on this land that needs renovating in the future.
- We have 23 horses, 9 dogs, 3 sheep, 2 pigs and lots of chickens, turkeys and ducks that require our daily care. Most of our animals are kept out in the fields, they need feeding everyday and the few animals kept in stables or sties need mucking out everyday. When we need more manure for the gardens we bring more horses/animals into the stables!
- The family is Anglo-Portuguese, my sister and I have been living on the farm since 1983. Originally our parents bought the farm and retired here with the idea of becoming self sufficient.
- As we are quite gregarious, at various times you might be invited to impromptu meals and get-togethers at the main farmhouse. We also enjoy visiting local cafes and car boot sales.
- We re-use and re-cycle as much as possible - vegetable waste is given to the pigs or worms or even composted, manure from the horses and other animals is used in the gardens and fields. Any old planks, pallets or other materials are turned into woodsheds, firewood or framework for other constructions. Rubbish is separated into plastics, glass, metals and paper and goes to the recycling bins in the village.
English, Portuguese and a little German
ACCOMODATION IS SHARED:
We have two separate buildings that our volunteers stay in: Eco and Casota. Recently renovated the accommodation has a new fresh outlook. You are expected to keep both the inside and outside of your living space clean and tidy with a pleasant convivial atmosphere in all the communal living areas.
Volunteers can also bring their own live-in vehicles and in the summer months volunteers can put up and stay in tents should they wish. Volunteers with their own live-in vehicle or tents use the Eco-house amenities.
ECO-HOUSE bedroom sleeps four volunteers (normally Girls) in bunk-beds. There are power points at the Eco-house to charge mobile phones and laptops. It has its own well where water is brought up by hand in a bucket, there is an outdoor patio with fire-pit, chairs, table and a lounger, the kitchen is used and shared by ALL the volunteers and has a dining area, a fridge and electric hob. The Eco-house also has its own outhouse with composting toilet. There is an open air shower with solar-water-butts and an old Portuguese scrub tub for washing clothes.
CASOTA is Off-Grid, it has a bunk-bed for two volunteers (normally Boys) there is solar lighting and a wood burning heater, it has its own outhouse with composting toilet and solar-water-butt shower.
A wide range of food is provided for you to cook for yourselves (we welcome omnivores, vegetarians and vegans).
Vegetables and fruit are grown on the farm. Eggs come from our chickens.
The Outhouses have compostable toilets that are to be maintained on a fortnightly basis by the volunteers.
Wi-fi is available in the local village, THERE IS NO WI-FI AVAILABLE ON THE FARM.
We have a NO smoking policy within our houses, outbuildings and near our animals.
Situated one kilometer from the village of Almádena (5/10 min walk) the farm is on the local bus routes giving easy access to beaches and local towns. We also have bicycles for our volunteers to use.
This is an incredibly beautiful and tranquil area within a stones throw of the natural park. We have scenic horse riding, walking and fantastic surfing, with great night life in Lagos, Luz and the nearby villages.
As there are lots of opportunities to get on a horse, please make sure your travel insurance covers horse riding and farm work. All our riders wear riding hats and if necessary they will be supplied.
We would be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Eingeschränkter Internet Zugang
Wir besitzen Tiere
Wir sind Raucher
mehr als zwei
maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week