We are Jamie and Martha, with two young children. We're working to make our patch of land more sustainable for the future. We live in a log cabin in rural Kent - nearest train stations Appledore (Kent), or Rye (Sussex) - along with our hens and Stan the doggo.
Seeking help with physical tasks: building maintenance, gardening etc, as well as the occasional household chore. Accommodation is simple and eco friendly in a renovated horse-box or caravan. You very much have your own space, separate from the main house so lots of freedom. We are not looking for childcare help, though they will love to meet you!
Hilfe bei Ökoprojekten
Heimwerker- und Bauarbeiten
Betreuung von Tieren
Jamie is a tree surgeon and very knowledgable about British trees. Martha is an anthropologist and qualified English teacher, so is happy to help with practicing English.
We particularly welcome Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and French speakers so we can practice with you and the children can pick something up. All nationalities, including British, are welcome!
We have friends and family nearby so you're welcome to join us for events we go to if there's space in the car :)
We are happy to give you lifts to local towns most days of the week. Your own car is extremely useful, but not essential - we have space in the car for two passengers maximum! No local public transport, 25m cycle to nearest station.
COVID-19: Depending on the situation, you may need to quarantine up to 14 days on arrival. You have your own outdoor, compost loo and a simple solar shower (you're welcome to use our hot indoor shower too!).
We're looking for help with:
- taking care of the hens (feeding / collecting eggs / clearing out).
- The garden - weeding, planting, watering, laying out woodchip
- Building an outdoor perch for the hens
- Painting out buildings
- Ideas for an eco hot tub / outdoor pizza oven using our clay
- Chopping wood
- Hanging out washing and household chores
- Seasonal foraging, e.g. elderflower / blackberries / sloes etc.
- In the summer possibly building a haybale swimming pool!
Life at the cabin:
- We have a quiet life at the cabin, living behind Martha's elderly grandfather. Workaways are expected to respect the evening peace, especially as we start calming down for the children's' bedtimes around 6pm. There is plenty of outdoor space for Workaways to do their own thing in the evening and we have relatively good wifi.
We like good food, good people, music, and looking after our planet <3
We have space in our car for two workaway passengers in our car and are happy to take you out :)
Dieser Gastgeber bietet Sprachaustausch an
Dieser Gastgeber gibt an, dass er dir gern seine Muttersprache beibringt oder selbst eine Sprache lernen möchte.
Bitte wende dich direkt an ihn, um weitere Auskünfte zu erhalten.
Renovated caravan: Double bed and possible use of a separate room with just enough space for a single bed, small kitchen with appliances, mains electricity and wifi.
Converted horsebox (summer only): two small doubles inside, basic kitchen, no mains electricity.
Workaways have private use of outdoor compost loos and a simple solar shower.
Peaceful area (chickens start clucking by 7 and the farm starts up around then, but there are no early morning cockerels!)
There is space for a van/caravan, if you have one.
- Please join us for vegetarian lunches on helping days. Occasionally, we might have locally caught fish. We like baking too :)
- We're happy to cook for vegan / gluten free diets, just let us know in advance. (Meat eaters are also welcome but we rarely cook it).
- Workaways fix themselves breakfast / supper as they like. On days off Workaways are expected to arrange their own food. We will leave some supplies in your kitchen and we're happy to give you lifts to the shops.
- GETTING TO LOCAL TOWNS
The cabin is situated between two pretty towns: Tenterden and Rye, about 10 minutes drive from each. There is also a bus to both towns and Hastings (the bus stop is a 20 minute walk away from the cabin). We also live a 10 minute cycle from the small, pretty village of Appledore which has a village shop. We can lend you bicycles (note that Appledore station is a further 15 minute cycle). There's an excellent pub 10-15 minutes walk across the fields.
- WALKS / VISTING THE SEA
There are many good walks to take in the area, which we're happy to direct you to. We also live 20 minutes from Camber Sands beach and Winchelsea (pebble) beach - and many other quieter beaches that we can drive you to on days off. These beaches are all good for swimming.
- OTHER PLACES TO VISIT We live on Romney Marsh, which is a unique habitat close to Dunganess nature reserve. Other interesting visits nearby include Great Dixter gardens and the sea town of Hastings (20- 40 minutes drive). From Ashford (a 25 minute drive), there are fast trains straight into London which take about 30 minutes.
Eingeschränkter Internet Zugang
Wir besitzen Tiere
Wir sind Raucher
We have wifi in the caravan and can park the horsebox near it where it can also pick wifi. Some networks have good 3G here, other networks have none! Phone reception is poor, so wifi calling is better. Happy to be flexible with work hours for digital nomads.
Plenty of parking space, including shady and private areas. Use of compost loo / outdoor tap. No hook up for electricity.
Some pets may be ok...but we are not fully fenced in so unsuitable for most dogs...
mehr als zwei
About 25 hours a week (5h 5 days a week or 6h 4 days a week)
Dies sind zusätzliche optionale Bewertungen, wenn Mitglieder Feedback hinterlassen. Es wird die im Schnitt hinterlassene Bewertung für jede Option angezeigt.
Korrekte Angaben im Profil: