We are Jamie, Martha, Aiya (age 5), and Quinn (age 2). We're working to make our patch of land more sustainable and communal for the future. We live in a log cabin in rural Kent - nearest train stations Appledore (Kent), or Rye (Sussex) - along with our hens. Seeking help with physical tasks: building maintenance, gardening etc, as well as household chores.
Hilfe bei Ökoprojekten
Betreuung von Tieren
Jamie is a tree surgeon and very knowledgable about British trees. Martha is an anthropologist and qualified English teacher, so is happy to help with practicing English.
We particularly welcome Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and French speakers so we can practice with you and the children can pick something up. All nationalities, including British, are of course welcome!
We have friends and family nearby so you're welcome to join us for events we go to if there's space in the car :)
We are happy to give you lifts to local towns most days of the week but there is limited public transport.
We're looking for help with:
- taking care of the 12 hens (feeding / collecting eggs).
- The garden - Weeding, planting, watering
- Building a covered perch for the hens
- Painting our log cabin
- Help renovating a mobile home
- Outdoor eco shower (for workaways and friends to use)
- Installing railway sleepers as pillars for a new washing line and hammocks
- Ideas for an eco hot tub / eco shower / outdoor pizza oven using our clay
- Chopping wood
- Hanging out washing and household chores
- Seasonal foraging, e.g. elderflower / blackberries / sloes etc.
Life at the cabin:
- We have a quiet life at the cabin, living behind Martha's elderly grandparents. Workaways are expected to respect the evening peace, especially as we start calming down for the children's' bedtimes around 6pm. There is plenty of outdoor space for Workaways to do their own thing in the evening and we have relatively good wifi.
MUST HAVE GOOD ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND COME WITH A SMILE :)
We like good food, good people, music, and looking after our planet <3
English (native), a little Spanish, French, Portuguese
Private converted horsebox at the back of our field, with a small simple kitchen. There is a double bed inside and a double sofa bed.
Peaceful area (chickens start clucking by 7 and the farm starts up around then, but there are no early morning cockerels!).
There is space for a van/caravan, if you have one.
- Workaways have private use of compost loos - currently no showers (you're welcome to use our shower).
- Please join us for vegetarian lunches on work days. Occasionally, we might have locally caught fish. We like baking too :)
- We're happy to cook for vegan / gluten free diets, just let us know in advance. (Meat eaters are also welcome but we rarely cook it).
- Workaways fix themselves breakfast / supper as they like. On days off Workaways are expected to arrange their own food. We will leave some supplies in your kitchen and we're happy to give you lifts to the shops or you can borrow bicycles.
- GETTING TO LOCAL TOWNS
The cabin is situated between two pretty towns: Tenterden and Rye, about 10 minutes drive from each. There is also a bus to both towns and Hastings (the bus stop is a 20 minute walk away from the cabin). We also live a 10 minute cycle from the small, pretty village of Appledore which has a village shop. We can lend you bicycles (note that Appledore station is a further 15 minute cycle). There's an excellent pub 10-15 minutes walk across the fields.
- WALKS / VISTING THE SEA
There are many good walks to take in the area, which we're happy to direct you to. We also live 20 minutes from Camber Sands beach and Winchelsea (pebble) beach - and many other quieter beaches that we can drive you to on days off. These beaches are all good for swimming.
- OTHER PLACES TO VISIT We live on Romney Marsh, which is a unique habitat close to Dunganess nature reserve. Other interesting visits nearby include Great Dixter gardens and the sea town of Hastings (20- 40 minutes drive). From Ashford (a 25 minute drive), there are fast trains straight into London which take about 30 minutes.
Eingeschränkter Internet Zugang
Wir besitzen Tiere
Wir sind Raucher
mehr als zwei
About 25 hours a week (5h 5 days a week or 6h 4 days a week)