We are a non-profit organization dedicated to the conservation of native species of orchids in a charming little town of Panama, El Valle de Antón. We were established on 15 May 2001 with the view of protecting endangered endemic species of orchids and thus contributing to the conservation of the amazing biodiversity of the region and the Republic of Panama. Many of our orchids are kept in a beautiful and quiet garden where many local birds like to relax and visitors from all over the world come to enjoy them and learn about them. To support these efforts, we also run a hostel with various private rooms and dormitories. Because we firmly believe that cooperation is an integral part of nature preservation, we are always looking for responsible people who are passionate about nature to come and help us out.
Mithilfe auf einem Bauernhof
Hilfe bei Ökoprojekten
Tourismus / Gastgewerbe
Hilfe mit Computer /Internet
At present, we are looking especially for help with maintaining the garden, running and cleaning the hostel facilities, and advertising our initiative and orchid garden.
Relevant tasks include:
- Receiving and assisting visitors
- General maintenance of garden and hostel facilities (e.g., cleaning, small repair work)
- Assisting with eco-projects
- Promoting our initiative and helping with fundraising
- Managing our computer systems / online presence (e.g., website, Facebook page)
Please do contact us if you are interested, in the neighborhood, and fit the following profile:
- At least 18 years old
- Good communication skills in English and/or Spanish (most preferably both)
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Keen interest in environmental protection and/or ecotourism
- Commitment for at least one month (preferably longer)
- A valid passport and/or visa to enter Panama
- A participation fee of $30 regardless of the length of internship/volunteering (This fee will be used to support our activities.)
- Preference is given to those who hold a university degree, especially one related to our activities.
- Work experience in fundraising/program management/public relations would be an asset.
- Technical knowledge about orchids/horticulture/landscaping would be greatly appreciated.
Note that interns/volunteers are not paid, but can benefit from the following:
- on-site accommodation free of charge, including lunch.
- a good opportunity to improve your Spanish in a Spanish speaking country
- the all-year Spring-like climate in El Valle
- the proximity of El Valle to both beaches and mountains
- unique opportunities for cultural exchange with our diverse international team of workers and volunteers
- flexible working hours (5 hours a days for 5 days per week (from 9 AM to 2 PM, but times are negotiable)), leaving enough time to explore El Valle
- free wireless internet access inside our center.
On-site accommodation free of charge, including lunch
As stated, our goal is to conserve native Panamanian species of orchids, many of which are believed to be on their way to extinction. Estimates vary, but it is generally considered that the Republic of Panama is home to no less than 1,500 species of orchids, making it one of the most orchid-rich countries in the world. However, destruction of rain forests, accelerated by the recent rapid economic growth of the country, is depriving those flowers of their habitat. Particularly in El Valle, poverty plaguing the local population has led some to illegally pick up endangered species in the woods and sell them on the market, posing a real and imminent threat to the wellbeing of the local orchid populations.
Concerned about such a situation, we created our foundation in 2001 in order to protect the flowers from extinction and seek for a more sustainable way of development. We therefore grow both the endangered endemic species and non-local horticultural ones in our nursery for different motives. We try to conserve the former by reproducing them, while selling the latter to visitors to raise funds for our eco-friendly activities and to make the very act of gathering wild orchids for profits redundant. Overall, we aim to conserve the local biodiversity and promote an environmentally conscious and sustainable form of tourism.
Eingeschränkter Internet Zugang
Wir besitzen Tiere
Wir sind Raucher
5 hours a days for 5 days per week (from 9 AM to 2 PM, but times are negotiable)