Bisher 80 mal gespeichert
**At the moment, we have an urgent need for help with TRAILS CONSTRUCTION JOBS, after heavy rains damaged many footbridges and steps. This requires skills with wood construction and the use of a chainsaw.**
Our project is an initiative to engage enthusiastic volunteers in our mountain village revival project. It is collaboratively coordinated by local self-organized “Creative Volunteers,” the Cultural Association of Alagonia, and the municipal authority of Alagonia. Alagonia is a small village in the Taygetos mountain range on the Peloponnese, situated at around 750m, and located between the cities of Kalamata and Sparta. As an integral part of this locally-driven rural development plan, volunteers are welcomed to participate in a wide range of projects that directly address the needs of the local community, that aim to stimulate the local rural economy, and that (most importantly) conserve natural resources and regenerate the natural environment. Activities range from mountain trails clearing, to “zero waste” event management, to public art projects, to IT help…
Hilfe bei Ökoprojekten
Heimwerker- und Bauarbeiten
Hilfe mit Computer /Internet
Alagonia is a village with a small (mainly elderly) population, tucked away in the steep mountains, away from the urban busyness, noise and pollution, but also some conveniences. Interaction with local villagers is inevitable, and they are always curious to meet new people, and share their culture and stories with newcomers and visitors. Villagers have the patience to help language enthusiasts improve their Greek. As most of the villagers do not speak much English, you will certainly pick up at least a few words during your time here.
In carrying out the wide variety of tasks, you will have the opportunity to learn about village life and self-sufficiency, community building and resiliency, outdoor activities by creating trails, conservation work, zero waste lifestyle, plus more, depending on the time of year and your interests…
H E L P
C U R R E N T P R O J E C T S
- TRAILS NETWORK
- Maintaining old footpaths, Clearing new paths, Mapping out trails, Creating & placing signage, Creating rest areas, Active trail guide for visitors
- Mapping out new bicycle path network
- SWAPSHOP (Free Exchange Shop for clothes/household items)
- Open shop every Sunday morning for a few hours, Put donated items in place, Help visitors, Sewing projects
- ZERO WASTE ALAGONIA (Catering/Event management)
- Setting up events with reusable plates/cups/etc., Clean-up afterwards, Separation of recyclable/compostable wastes, Promotion/social media
- Assisting in workshops on various topics, Organize a workshop of your own to share your craft/skill
- SEWING workshops for the SwapShop are a priority at the moment
- PUBLIC ART PROJECTS
- Propose an art project of your own, Murals, Photography, Sign making, Wood working
- Possibility of organizing an exhibition with your personal work
- COMPUTER: Graphic Design & Marketing
- Creating logos/branding for different initiatives, Contributing to/managing social media, Designing leaflets/posters, Website design
- MOUNTAIN SUMMER SCHOOL
- (Summer) Teacher’s assistant in morning weekend classes, (Rest of the year) Educators with experience may assist our teacher with preparing curriculum material for the following year
O N G O I N G T A S K S
- VILLAGE EVENTS & Organized Activities (Help with Set up/ Clean up)
- ex) celebrations/festivals, workshops, performances
- COMMUNAL/PUBLIC SPACES & FACILITIES (Help with Cleaning/ Maintenance)
- PUBLIC INFRASTRUCTURE Works
- ELDERLY ASSISTANCE (Help elderly locals with jobs around the house, or just to offer some company)
- ex) lifting up some firewood, visiting for a coffee
- PUBLIC GREEN SPACES (Planting, Watering, Weeding)
- FIRE PREVENTION & PROTECTION (Infrastructure works, Clearing, Activities, Training)
F U T U R E P R O J E C T S
- Community Garden for Seed Saving of Heirloom Plants
- Village Campground
- Old Elementary School Building (Renovations)
- Future Public Library, Communal Office Work Space, Museum, and more!
S K I L L S W E L C O M E
- *Personal Skills: Please be self-motivated, eager to learn, approach tasks thoughtfully, take initiative, and genuinely interested in the village/rural lifestyle.
- Handling Machinery (Strimmers, Chainsaw, Mulcher, Hand Tools)
- Organizing, Cleaning
- Artistry (Painting murals)
- Computer (Graphic Design, Social Media, Website)
- Marketing/Branding (Agrotourism)
E X C H A N G E
We hope to offer you an authentic Greek village experience, to share our customs and traditional skills, to introduce you to our regional cuisine, engage you in the community-building process, and guide you through some of the most beautiful natural landscapes of the Peloponnese. Through our work together, we also intend to pass on useful skills that you may use in future projects, or wherever you eventually settle down (maybe even here in Alagonia!)
S C H O L A R S H I P
If you are an active university student or academic, and are interested in conducting research or writing a paper about Alagonia, please contact us about our Scholarship Program. Journalists and filmmakers are also encouraged to reach out to us.
W O R K I N G S C H E D U L E
In general, the working schedule is flexible, except for days with organized events or activities with other volunteers.
D U R AT I O N
We ask that you commit to a minimum of 1 or 2 weeks, as it takes some time to adapt to a new environment and routine. Longer period stays are also welcomed, if it suits everybody.
Dieser Gastgeber bietet Sprachaustausch an
Dieser Gastgeber gibt an, dass er dir gern seine Muttersprache beibringt oder selbst eine Sprache lernen möchte.
Bitte wende dich direkt an ihn, um weitere Auskünfte zu erhalten.
- Shared dorm-style BEDROOM with other volunteers (Max 3 total). Access to wraparound balcony from bedroom.
- Shared BATHROOM and KITCHEN.
- BUILDING in the center of the village. Stone’s throw away from café, tavern, main church, amphitheater, picnic area.
- Everything will be PROVIDED: sheets, towels, soap, spare/work clothes, gloves.
- As a COHABITANT, you are also expected to contribute to the daily chores of keeping living spaces clean and tidy.
- FOOD: Food supplies (vegetarian) will be provided to cover all meals. Volunteers may organize meal planning with each other if desired. [Supplementary meals or items (such as meats and dairy) can be purchased from one of the three taverns in the village, the local shepherds, or the mini-market in the next village.]
- WATER: Alagonia has very good drinking water from nearby springs.
- LAUNDRY: Hand or machine wash and sun-dry. Washing powder provided.
- NATURAL LIVING: Please avoid using non-biodegradable products as much as possible. Natural olive soap will be provided.
- WASTE: Food waste is composted, and recycling/landfill waste is separated, but limited as much as possible.
- SMOKING: Not allowed within the building, please.
- INTERNET: Unlimited WiFi
ALAGONIA is located in the Taygetos mountain range, along with several other villages, including Piges, Artemisia, and Machala. They are within walking distance, and are beautifully SCENIC ROUTES, whether by paved road or trail (monopati). There are also some longer marked TRAILS that run through the area, including one that makes its way all the way to Kalamata (about 6 hours). There is a ROCK CLIMBING PARK in the nearby village of Nedousa. In Alagonia, there are a couple of CAFES, guesthouses, and three TAVERNS. The surrounding villages also have cafes, taverns, and a MINI MARKET. There is an open football (soccer) and basketball COURT. CULTURAL EVENTS and activities happen very often in the summer, though less so throughout the year.
On your time away from the village, you may choose to go to KALAMATA city. The beach, port, boardwalk, park, and center are all located within a 15-minute walking radius. Bicycles are available for rent. Kalamata has plenty of cafes, taverns, museums, and many cultural events.
There is a bus that runs between the village and Kalamata twice per week (Wednesday and Saturday). It is very possible to hitch (or find) a ride (40 min) down into the city. Cycling down to Kalamata is another option (1 hour down, 2.5 hours up for experienced cyclists).
SPARTA and MYSTRA are another option for a day trip. There are no buses directly from the village, however it might be possible to find a ride (1 hour).
Some of our local volunteers have an extensive BOOK collection on many topics, mainly about sustainability, including books on Natural living, Organic farming and Vegan cooking. If you read Greek, there is a library’s worth of books available to you.
OFFSITE PAID WORK: Opportunities may arise for paid local work, beyond your volunteer hours, if you are interested, such as: cleaning fields, collecting wood, harvesting crops, etc.
Please make sure you take a self-test before you arrive in Alagonia, or before your arranged pick-up. The test can be purchased at any pharmacy.
Mask use is mandatory when working in contact with the elderly and when working in closed spaces.
Eingeschränkter Internet Zugang
Wir besitzen Tiere
Wir sind Raucher
Dieser Gastgeber nimmt gern Digital Nomads bei sich auf.
Dieser Gastgeber bietet Platz für Wohnmobile.
mehr als zwei
5 hours a day, 5 days a week (OR 25 hours/week total)