To give you an idea of what life is like at our retreat as a member I will tell you what I did on my first day as a summer intern. I started out the morning in the hot tub with the owner, Heather, training me on phone etiquette as we siphoned out dirt. Later, I played videographer for a small wedding on the grounds, and finally I finished out the day sitting behind the wheel of a '73 Mercedes as the fix-it-man, Jay, towed me down the street by the moonlight. No two days are ever the same; the only constant being the endless stream of energy flowing in and out of the front doors. Always on the move, you must be adaptable with an ever-present easy smile and good humor.
You will be mentored by brilliant minds and giving hearts at a highly unconventional social venture. Constantly brushing shoulders with fascinating people, each with a diverse skill set to share under the umbrella of a revolving door of movers and shakers (colorful guests at the retreat from fortune 500 CEOs to cyber attorneys; from grade school sweethearts celebrating their 60th anniversary to national geographic penguin photographers). This is not a place that hosts your cookie cutter, standardized guest; in fact nothing is standard about this place except exceptional service and adventure.
This internship is a lifestyle, not for someone looking to punch a clock, but for someone who is invested in what our retreat stands for - building relationships by creating a welcoming space for guests. All activities stem from this mission. The lines between work and personal become blurred, and you may be asking yourself if mushroom hunting, cherry drying, trail blazing, or sharing pizza and wine with guests is work or pleasure. We like it when it's both. A certain richness and uniqueness comes with such an arrangement.While we understand that this internship is not for everyone, for some it is everything you could want in a job and in a home but did not know could exist together.
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Helping with Tourists
Help with Computers / internet
You will be mentored by brilliant minds and giving hearts at a highly unconventional social venture. Constantly brushing shoulders with fascinating people ( new WWOOFers, inn keepers, family members, interns) each with a diverse skill set to share under the umbrella of a revolving door of movers and shakers (colorful guests at the retreat from fortune 500 CEOs to cyber attornies; from gradeschool sweethearts celebrating their 60th anniversary to national geographic penguin photographers). This is not a place that hosts your cookie cutter, standardized guest; in fact nothing is standard about this place except exceptional service and adventure.
This work trade is not for someone looking to punch a clock, but for someone who is invested in what TRR stands for - building relationships by creating a welcoming space for guests. All activities stem from this mission. The lines between work and personal become blurred, and you may be asking yourself if stimulating conversation, trail blazing, or sharing pizza and wine with guests is work or pleasure. We like it when it's both. A certain richness and uniqueness comes with such an arrangement.While we understand that this internship is not for everyone, for some it is everything you could want in a job and in a home but did not know could exist together.
While you are here, you may help with a multitude of different things - and every day is different!
- providing administrative support for innkeepers
- taking phone calls
- making reservations
- sending out reservation confirmation emails, thank you feedback emails
- compiling guest details in the reservation system
- being present for the guests! (always with a smile, free for whatever they are needing in that moment, with respect and kindness)
- general maintenance of grounds (weeding, weed-wacking, mowing, shoveling snow - season dependent)
- gardening (planting veggies, spreading mulch, weeding, harvesting, preserving- season dependent)
- occasionally cleaning rooms and common spaces in the retreat
- checking in guests and generally being around to help guests
- running errands around town as needed (i.e. picking up groceries)
- keeping an ongoing to-do-list of things needed to be done around TRR
- working on marketing strategies-blogging, Facebook posts, etc
- updating the Documented Procedures folder as new tasks arise
- creating/organizing documents for better institutional memory
- being ready to take on any hat, any project!
- Noticing what needs to be done and doing it
- Great communication (your needs, wants, asking questions/asking for help, what is working, what isn't)
- Customer service skills
- Ability to self-manage (such as keeping your own list of things that need to be done, and using time wisely to work on them. Also, keeping track of and managing your time.)
- Basic cooking skills or more is a plus.
- Attention to detail, taking pride in your work.
- Team player
Experience in these skills would be a PLUS:
- Experience in marketing and entrepreneurship
- Wordpress web design
- Social media marketing
- Email marketing
- Event planning
- Prefer long-term commitment, minimum of one month with a trial period of four days.
- Work 25 hours/week
- Possibility of full-time work during busy months, if desired.
We need someone who can fill in the gaps when and wherever needed. Someone who embraces flexibility and diversity of tasks, with a personable and outgoing demeanor. Some days may be spent helping out in the garden, visiting with guests, setting up for an event, occasional days will be spent full-on cleaning, helping to get the retreat ready for a full house rental - you never know the day will have in store! The owners of the retreat also own two veterinary clinics and manage house rentals which can always use helping hands. We love to take interns and volunteers along for the adventure of traveling to different locations such as North Dakota or Butte as extras helping hands.
In this very unconventional setting, we need someone who is a great team player who can get along well, living and working alongside the team. At the same time, there may be plenty of time spent working alone, so the person seeking this position must be able to enjoy their own company and manage themselves. We live and breathe customer service here. There are always guests in the space, and we value personable relationships with them and strive to make them feel at home, so you MUST be a people person - and if you are, you will LOVE it here!
This host offers accommodation and payment.
*️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️As beautiful and comfortable as the retreat looks, accommodations available for workawayers may not be the right fit for everyone, so please read below and make sure that it sounds okay for you!*️️️️️️️️️*️️️️️️️️️
- living accommodation (either a shared tiny home with a loft bedroom and bathroom or a shared small cabin on the property with a wood fire stove.)
- free breakfast (when you help with cooking the guest breakfast)
- access to fresh fruits and vegetables from the garden when available
- food staples (i.e. flour, oats, rice, beans, eggs, milk, meat, butter, oils, spices)
- unparalleled hands-on experiential learning with a breadth of knowledge not found in many other work environments!
You can enjoy use of amenities at the main house including bathroom, shower, hot tub, pool, pond, wifi, kitchen, utilities, etc., plus 18 acres of wilderness playground. Co-existing in a healthy, safe, alcohol and drug-free environment conveniently located only one mile from downtown Sandpoint. Camping also available, with shared use of amenities in the house.
We live in one of the most gorgeous places on Earth! Here we live on 18 acres with forest to explore and are only a mile from the vibrant small town of Sandpoint, Idaho (a two minute drive, or five minute bike ride away). We have bikes here you can take off with to go into town and drop by City Beach on beautiful Lake Pend O'reille! In your free time you can enjoy the shops and wonderful restaurants, the vibrant farmers market, and local music. Sandpoint is a heaven for people who love the outdoors - surrounded by mountains, with many rivers and lakes to kayak, boat, and fish on and vast wilderness for hiking and exploring at your back door. In the winter, Sandpoint turns into a ski town and there is all kinds of fun to be had in the snow, with the local ski mountain village only 25 minutes here. We also have a vibrant community with a lot going on and some of the most friendly, loving people you will ever meet.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
Maximum 5 hours a day, 5 days a week