WE DEAL WITH PROJECTS IN:
Education, Health care, Environmental Initiatives, Organic and Perm-culture Agriculture, women & Youths Empowerment
A TRUST BASED TOTAL FREEDOM, FRIENDLY, RELAXED, MEANINGFUL VOLUNTEERING AND FREE LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES' ATMOSPHERE FOR ALL VOLUNTEERS.
We are Looking for Volunteers, Donors, Well-wishers, organizations to work with. if interested, drop an email to collaborate and partner with us on community projects in Mfangano and sister Islands in Lake Victoria Kenya.
I am Samuel, a teacher by profession, now 52-years old, I'm a resident of Mfangano Island in Lake Victoria Kenya
I happen to be leading registered community based organizations (C.B.Os) and groups, founded with an aim of alleviating the suffering among the communities of the Islands that have been hit by poverty, hunger and diseases.
We reach and touch needy children, widows, widowers, youths, the aged and poor starving families in the community, We strive to provide access to basic quality education, Health-care, farming gears, facilitate Environmental Initiatives and empower the disadvantaged and less privileged/Less fortunate households and families for sustainable economic development and self-reliance
In so doing we have managed to send over 200 school dropout students back to school and through micro-finance initiative we have improved the standards of living of over 30 groups' members.
I’m blessed with a Lovely, patient and a welcoming family, a family with a higher hospitality and integrity to all Volunteers, visiting my home from different corners of the world.
In our Family we normally have round table evening charts during evening meals as we get the day’s reports from volunteers and asses the situations to help decide on the following day’s Learning activities.
COMMUNITY PROJECTS RUN BY OUR ORGANIZATIONS
1. In EDUCATION We works to improve Primary Schools, high schools and postsecondary Education, We are supporting and or fully sponsoring vulnerable children's Education, We Support the girl child Education and offer Sanitary towels and other personal effects for the girl child of age 14 years and above, We Refurbishing old School Buildings and or Building new School Buildings, We are fencing School Compounds, and Donating School Lockers, desks, Chairs, Pupil's Uniforms, learning and writing materials, the plan is underway to Establish Feeding program to School going ages seven to twelve in a few schools with the Community and Volunteers Support.
2. In HEALTH CARE We fund-raise to help put up community Health facilities, equip them and charity run them to help improve services to the Communities' poorest households and helps them expand access to health coverage, We are also Supporting the Aged (the elderly persons), Widows and Widowers by Donating Food, Houses, and cloths, We also Donate Food, Houses and clothes for the disadvantaged and Less privileged/less fortunate families and those who have been abandoned by society
3. In ORGANIC AND PERM-CULTURE FARMING We focuses on empowerment and Sustainable economic development of Mfangano Island Communities through Organic and Perm-culture by offering farming gears Like garden fences, Water pumps and pipes to farmers to help Improve and develop organic and perm-culture gardens in the Community, Poultry farming projects are Established for registered groups. Plans are underway to support both Farmers and fishermen's registered groups who will be given revolving funds through Micro Finance Initiatives to use in buying farming tools like Fence Materials, Ploughs, Water pumps, Pipes and fishing gears like fishing nets, fishing boats and Engines.
4. In ENVIRONMENTAL INITIATIVES We aims at overhauling Deforestation and unsound land practices by training local farmers and the communities on sustainable agriculture and reforestation methods to preserve natural forests, We Sponsor farmers’ seminars, workshops and trainings and also help by donating for purchases of Seeds and seedlings to farmers for reforestation.
5. In WOMEN AND YOUTHS EMPOWERMENT we help registered women and Youths' groups' members lift themselves out of hunger and extreme poverty by giving them revolving fund to borrow through micro-finance initiative and improve their small scale income generating activities for economic development and sustainability for self-reliance to help them achieve long-lasting benefits.
6. We also need Volunteers with the knowhow on GRANT PROPOSAL WRITING, organizing ON-LINE FUND-RAISERS in Diaspora, MARKETING OUR ACTIVITIES, and help in IDENTIFYING VIABLE FUNDING FOUNDATIONS or approaching potential donors, organizations and funding opportunities to support the disadvantaged and Less Privileged Households and the needy children go back to school, Improve our schools and Empowering our Women, youth, Young Self-help Groups and even the Aged,
Babysitting / child care
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Help in the house
Helping with Tourists
Help with Computers / internet
HOW VOLUNTEERS BENEFIT:
Volunteers have a trust based total freedom of doing whatever they want and visiting all places they would want to, they will visit our rich shrines and see for themselves some of the tools, utensils, vessels and Caves used by our great grandparents.
1) Volunteers Working with us will relax and participate in any manual work at their own wish
they will a quire several educational opportunities including visit Local fishing industries and interact with Local fishermen for more information. We have, guided and connected Volunteers with different types of organic farms owned by different growers on the Island, Our Primary and Secondary Schools, Mfangano Island Rock Art, Our rich shrines, Spring Water sites, Mfangano Peace Museum, Our Seasonal Streams, the Soklo Plateau, Mfangano Tilapia Fish ponds, Mfangano Hills and even the beautiful view of Lake Victoria all-round the four Islands many times
2) We have experienced community story tellers of which I'm one, who normally entertain interested Volunteers and other visitors, Volunteers will get a lot of legends and memorized stories of all our cultural livings styles.
they will Get live stories and legends about our great grand parents political, Social and Economical ways of living before the coming of formal education. some of story tellers have written legends and history about all that transpired in the past to our grandparents and even their traditional way of self governance, they will acquiring aural History of our traditional and natural methods of organic farming which doesn't require use of chemicals and see how some of our people still use our traditional tools for both digging and weeding.
3) acquire our cultural and ways of Living and behavior
4) acquire the knowledge from our inherited traditional history on how our grand fathers and mothers led their social, economical and political lives.
5) admire and enjoy the Islands' good climatic condition, The most enjoyable Islands’ Climates conducive for all activities
6) admire and enjoy the Lake Victoria breeze
7) see all Species of different fresh water fish and even enjoy eating them
8) see and enjoy eating food cooked in the traditional way using traditional methods and the crops we grow for food.
9) share and Learn our traditional believes and our old ways of self-governance before the coming of the white in Kenya
10) They will learn directly and practically there and then how we do all our activities of all kinds of their interest/choice and in their field of learning even beyond.
11) The family has vast experience with all the four Islands and even the nearby parts of the mainland and their different locations meaning the volunteer will be helped to integrate in local society and interact with them as much as they can
THE FOLLOWING VOLUNTEERS' OPPORTUNITIES/POSITIONS/PROJECTS, ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE WITHIN OUR ORGANIZATION, AND WE ARE REQUESTING FOR VOLUNTEERS' SUPPORT IN ANY OF THEM OR ALL:
Applications are invited from all corners of the world, we will appreciate your choice to work with us:
1. Research & recommend funding options - Fund-raising
There are various funding opportunities for nonprofits like USAID and we need help researching and understanding the options available to us ● (Skills: Fund-raising, Research & Analytics)
2. Write funding grant proposals - Fund-raising
We need experts in grant writing to help us prepare and write professional grant proposals to relevant funding agencies ● (Skills: Fund-raising, Content Writing – English)
3. Review & amend a specific document - Content and Writing
We have written a specific document (report, grant proposal etc.) and before submitting it we would love a native English speaker to proof read it.● (Skills: Content Writing – English)
4. Create a fund-raising video for us - Fund-raising
We would like to create a compelling video about our organization in general or a specific project for fund-raising purposes. We will provide the content but we need a video expert to put it all together and tell a great story ● (skills: Video Editing, Content Writing – English)
5. Develop a responsive website - Web Work
We currently don't have a website and we would really love someone to develop a responsive, Google-friendly site; this task would need to include all back and front end development and design, a Content Management System for our internal use, content upload (we will provide all the content - text, images and videos etc.), and delivery of source code upon completion.● (Skills: Web Development, CMS (e.g. WordPress), Website Builders e.g. WIX)
6. Update our website - Web Work
Occasionally we need to update certain areas or pages in our website (content, photos, news etc.) and we would love someone to help us with this here and there! ● (Skills: CMS (e.g. WordPress), Website Builders e.g. WIX)
7. Fix technical issues in our website - Web Work
Occasionally we have bugs or issues with our website and we would love someone to help us here and there when this happens! ● (Skills: Web Development)
8. Translate our website to Other Languages - Content and Writing
Our website is in English and we would like to translate it to other Languages.● (Skills: Content Writing - English, Spanish Speakers, German speaker, Arabic speakers)
9. Write posts in English for our FB page - Social Media
We are always looking for people who can help us promote our work on social media. Even just a few posts are a great start for us! ● (Skills: Social Media Marketing, Content Writing – English)
10. Setup & optimize our Facebook page - Social Media
We do not have a good Facebook page and would love someone to set up a compelling page for our nonprofit to showcase our mission and work ● (Skills: Social Media Marketing)
11. Setup & optimize our Instagram page - Social Media
We do not have a good Instagram page and would love someone to set up a compelling page for our nonprofit to showcase our mission and work ● (Skills: Social Media Marketing)
12. Design a brochure/report layout - Design
We often need to prepare reports or brochures for our donors and partners and we would love a great design template we can use as a basis for such purposes.● (Skills: Graphic Design)
13. Design a Power Point template - Design
We often need to present to our donors and partners and we would love to have a well-designed template we can use as a basis for our presentations.● (Skills: Graphic Design)
14. Design our logo - Design
We would like to design a compelling logo that would convey the mission of our organization
● (Skills: Graphic Design)
15. We are Looking for someone ready to support and formally prepare Women and Youths micro-finance initiatives groups - (table banking, merry go round, financial and book keeping literacy, business administration and management)
16. We are in need of support and improvement of the status of our organic and perm-culture farmers( fishermen, poultry keepers, animals keepers, crop growers)
17. Help us get supportive and development conscious personnel for our environmental initiatives and Ecological projects
18. Teachers of both academic and co curriculum (Teaching academic subjects in class and sports activities).
19. There is a high need to get well-wishers help in supporting the disadvantaged and the less fortunate in the community ( widows, widowers, the aged and those disowned by the society).
20. Help in Improving computer literacy to community members and or children
21. You can also Just come, without any relevant skill to tour, relax and enjoy weather, breeze & climate around the Islands in Lake Victoria and learn the residents way of living you are welcome.
We are Looking for Volunteers, who are ready to collaborate and partner with us in a working together spirit to help us improve lives of the less fortunate children, households and families in the Mfangano and Sister Islands communities by participating as tabulated under the listed projects categories: -
• Fund-raising for the improvement of Primary Schools and High Schools Infrastructures and the Education of needy children plus the endangered Islands' girls child education.
• Teaching any class from kindergarten to high school (people with relevant experience and training)
2. HEALTH CARE
• Fund-raising for Health-care facilities, food-staff, houses, and clothes donations, for the Aged and the disadvantaged and less privileged/less fortunate families and those who have been abandoned by society.
• Help from health professionals (doctors, nurses, etc.) with running a local clinics and mobile clinics
3. ORGANIC AND PERM-CULTURE FARMING
• Help us with manual work (digging, planting, weeding) and advice if you have relevant experience.
• Fund-raising for farmers and fishermen gears (tools, water pumps, fences, pipes, nets, engines and boats) and poultry units.
4. ENVIRONMENTAL INITIATIVES
• Help with training farmers in agro-forestry, fruit tree production, reforestation, and vegetable production and encouraging all community members to help prevent soil erosion
• Help with events, editing, translating books and manuals.
• Help increase public awareness by talking with schools and other groups. Volunteers are also needed to encourage communities, churches, and civic groups to support tree planting projects,
• Fund-raising for environmental issues
5. WOMEN AND YOUTHS EMPOWERMENT
• Fund-raising for women and youths empowerment issues;
• Help with Financial literacy and entrepreneurship training,
• Help us improve the Micro finance Initiative which Support the disadvantaged and less privileged/fortunate Households and families on the Islands.
6. Help in organizing on-line fund-raisers and or approaching potential donors, organizations and funding opportunities for our community's support.
7. Help with on-line marketing for our activities and identifying viable funding foundations/organizations
8. Help with Successful grant proposal writing
9. CHARITY WORK:
All kinds of support from individual Volunteers, group Volunteers, Organizations, and even well-wishers to either the Families or community are welcome.
English, Swahili, Luo, Suba
•Volunteers will stay with host families from the local community, based in a tranquil, rural environment
•Each volunteer will have their own bed, but may share a room if belongs to the same gender or if are couples, Different gender stay in different rooms.
•Each bed should have a mosquito net
Volunteers will be provided with 3 meals a day by the host family, or receive a pre packed carry lunch if the project is far from the host family residence. OR be bought if the Hotels are around.
Food will be prepared by Host family as per the normal daily diet timetable and on the request of the visitor in case he/she is interested in a different meal,
Any visitor who comes with his/her budget, all his/her meals will be prepared on his/her order and we will require a meals time table to be prepared in a collaboration of both the visitor and the cooks.
We prefer preparing meals with the consent of all people living in the house/family and considering different interests of different house dwellers including Visitors.
1). Apart from Visiting the reach local sights in Mfangano, there are several refreshment Points around, we can always walk and meet people, refresh, chart, dance in Local social meeting points, view variety of activities around, we can as well go swimming any time we feel like and freely in Lake Victoria since we stay near the lake just 60 meters from the Lake, there are high chances of visiting various fish "Bands" and have a look at various Fish species from the Lake and types of boats used in fishing, there are several Bear-Pubs for Music and a variety of drinks, you can watch Soccer if you are a Fun, etc.
2) Visitors are free to prepare their own food if they so wish/interested in doing that, and can be assisted in preparation of the food of their choice if they wish/comfortable with that. We normally go by ones interest/choice when it comes to meals.
Mfangano Island is one of the biggest Islands in Lake Victoria but the largest Island in Kenya; with a conducive climate, it’s Bays and Natural Rocks along the Lake show attracts all Species of Fish This makes it one of the main the Sources of Fish in Kenya
The indigenous have very high profile of Hospitality and respect to visitors, it is an Island of LOVE to strangers and hence the name Mfangano, in Suba Language Meaning Reconciliation
In Mfangano all types of meals are available from fresh fish, beef, chicken, eggs, various types of grains, vegetable and all other market food types that one would like, we even eat "ugali" -bread prepared from fresh millet, sorghum or maize during banana season we prepare and cook the banana bread which is so soft and sweet it is the most convenient for the non Ugali funs.
the indigenous' main activity is organic farming from crops growing, animals keeping to fishing both for subsistence and commercial, it is less expensive, culturally oriented, and done in the most natural and traditional way, with zero chemical appliances. The three other Islands are composed of mainly fishermen.
There are several types of vessels of different sizes used for transportation to bridge the Islands to the main land, transportation means that can be used for movement to and from any destination around the Islands or from one Island to the other on daily basis and even beyond at any time of need are there in plenty, it is easy to move from any Island to the other or to the main land all times of you need, by use of any means of any size of your choice from the biggest vessel ferry, bigger fibered water boat, speed boats and engine boats alighting in different beaches of the Island, on the Island we have a ring-road going round all the Island.
Mfangano and its sister Islands makes the best sites for learning of Various African cultural practices/activities, our culture is preserved to date in all the various different styles that one may ask, we still have cultural sports during August and December Holidays,
We have the most traditional and culturally oriented Organic agriculture and perm-culture ways of farming, from Crops growing, Poultry, Cattle, Goats, keeping to fishing of various Species of fish in Lake Victoria,
Those who choose Mfangano as their learning centre for African culture and organic and Perm-culture farming have always appreciated and came out certified with the knowledge acquired:
1. Here, most people cultivate/till the land from late December to late February every year then plant with the first rains and start weeding in the month of April since most seasonal and annual crops planted either in late February or at the beginning of the month of March have grown enough, and weeds catch up with them seriously from early and mid April, almost all maize and millet crops are three feet high above the ground by mid April and the weeds are also at the same height this is the time most growers have a hell of work in their farms/gardens because they have to remove the weeds in time and let crops give out grains when they are healthy. April is the busiest month with organic farmers/growers each year in Mfangano Island.
2. April comes out to be the only month with enough rains that most crop growers depend on for them to have good harvests in august in our region.
3. Volunteers with higher interests on crops growing especially seasonal and annual crops should utilize this period beginning from March to July every year, although animals rare ring, poultry keeping, fishing, and other types of farming continues throughout the year, but crop farming/growing is done by almost every resident of Mfangano unlike those other farming methods.
4. In August most seasonal crops are harvested and their chapter is over, these are the crops most of our farmers/growers depend on for food and even for commercial in this region seconded by fishing.
5. The month of July is very cold but dry it doesn't have rains.
6. December Our most enjoyable month with all good activities of the year, most sons and Daughters of Mfangano Island take leaves to come Home and enjoy together with their relatives, families and friends, the Kenyan government also recognizes that and makes it the longest Holiday of all the other Holidays, the eve of December Holiday Days are usually in the fourth week that is from 23 December to 28 December, the way people prepare for Christmas 24, 25 and 26 December, is marvelous.
7. It is good luck that we have been getting volunteers who are willing to fund raise for:-
a) Our community health facility at Wakinga Village in Mfangano East Location in Mfangano Island which started on 3rd October 2018 and and is still going on.
b) A School for Disabled pupils in Mfangano and Sister Islands and this is going to be the first school for the Disabled pupils on Mfangano Island
c) Scholarship of some students and already some have received their scholarships and are in school right now.
We still need more volunteers to support more projects in the family and in the community we have websites to those projects which can only be disclosed to Volunteers who are ready to support in that Line
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week
In developing countries (Where most hosts are involved in charity work or community development) some of our hosts may ask for a small donation to help the host family or charity (often less then 5 dollars per day) Workaway will allow this listing when the donation goes directly to the family or charity and is just to cover the cost of the volunteer‘s stay. (This will be clearly marked on the host listing).
We will strictly not allow listings posted by agents, “middle men” or projects who we feel are looking to profit from a volunteers stay.