We're a family of 4 (a couple and two children), living off the grid in a self built wooden house in the middle of the forest. Alice is a mother, an artist, doula and herbalist that spent the last few years dealing with the question of being a woman - and helping lots of them - in a predominantly patriarch society. She is among the few true wortcunners and spagirists, permanently building her own relationship towards the plant entities that surround us. André is a father and also an artist, an engineer (agronomics) and an aspiring mycologist. He became a self taught carpenter after building the house their family presently lives on. He spent the last few years dealing with the question of agriculture in its broad sense. He is a lover of soil and a fanatic for life. He is a devoted forest architect in the most intensive and fashioned way. Aldo, 4 years old and Celeste 1 and a half, are the two blossoms of our family. We are mostly vegetarian (more on that and other conditions down below). We manage a 4 hectare valley applying many principles of landscape restoration. We grow food, wood and medicinal plants in a very unique and complex agricultural community. Animals are also about to be integrated. We produce several different things mainly from the plants around us: from cosmetics to herbal formulations. We organize different public events here at the farm regarding many things. From farming to education, from parties to retreats. Long story short, our dream is to raise our children while bringing forth the stability provided by mature, healthy ecosystems. For that, we care. For that, we nourish. Come do that with us!
Ayuda en proyectos ecológicos
Proyectos de construcción y bricolaje
Cuidado de animales
Ayuda en una granja
Cuidado de niños y juegos creativos
Ayuda con ordenadores/Internet
Here you can connect deeply into the forest. Not only learning in which ways you can strategically manage it but also about all the different species that are a part of it, including mushrooms. We are native Portuguese so you can also get to know our culture better. We can offer you a guided tour to Amarante, Porto or any other nearby town or place. We do complex agriculture and there is a lot on that too, in fact, only trough a one year internship could someone really learn the true overarching of the cycles in agriculture and most of the technics they're associated with.
First of all, the help needed this year is all about setting up the foundations for an off-the-grid family homestead so we are not a business yet and can't, at the moment, pay for the help provided by volunteers.
Workawayers will also not be helping towards any business task or selling produce from the farm.
With that in mind,
The help welcome in Spring/Summer 2022 shall be:
- Recovering of two abandoned water sources;
- Hand-tooled raw wood manipulation for use in different constructions, from animal sheds to a greenhouse and fencing poles.
- Access establishment throughout the property using hand tools for selective clearance and soft pruning of certain trees and bushes.
- Viticulture (summer pruning and other in-green interventions).
Help welcome in Fall/Winter 2022:
- Agro-forestry (pruning; planting; animal care)
- Viticulture: vintage and winter pruning.
- Gathering of wild edible mushrooms for different purposes. (André has been the guide for several public regional mushroom identification walks after doing a one year internship titled "Mushroom biodiversity of Northern Portugal and their applications in gastronomy, medicine and agro-ecology". The work was done in University of Trás-os Montes e Alto Douro with the supervision of an expert mycologist. So, nobody will get intoxicated, on the contrary, they will get to know better a fantastic but largely despised kingdom.)
- Deep, Structural forest stratification pruning, with the chance for volunteers to learn some methods of harness and rope arboriculture. (Though the actual work-in-height is only to be made by host André, for safety purposes).
- Access establishment and the continuing of building of support structures like fences or slabs.
- If you like children we would also appreciate for them being taken care of.
- wood gathering.
Este anfitrión ofrece intercambio de idiomas
Este anfitrión ha indicado que está interesado en compartir su idioma o aprender otro.
Ponte en contacto con él para obtener más información.
You can stay at a caravan that has lighting installation and 220v up to 300 watt. (enough for cellphone and computer charging, though if more power is needed volunteers can use our house). You can check the photo and see the caravan but keep in mind that we are right now building a more solid and comfortable roof over it, with walls. We also have tents available. The bathroom is presently the one at our place (near the caravan) and it has bathtub with shower and hot water permanently available. We offer you Breakfast, Lunch, afternoon meal and dinner, mostly vegetarian (although we can cook meat or fish up to 3 or 4 times a week if volunteers prefer. Besides that, feel free to cook your own meals in the caravan, which has a tiny kitchen with running water, dishes and a stove that runs on gas.
In your spare time there is a lot to do. We have a river and there's a nice beach just ahead of our property. Amarante is a beautiful town, built around amazing river Tamega and full of culture and history. Porto is only 50kms away (there is bus and train). There are also several natural reserves around us and a lot more. Through a good conversation (which naturally occur at our place) we can certainly and gladly indicate volunteers the best suited places for them to visit.
Acceso a Internet
Acceso a Internet limitado
Puede alojar familias
must be friendly towards kids and other pets (dogs and cats) and not a garden destroyer!
Más de dos
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week