922 “me gusta”
We are building a Fab Lab inside a farm, check Algarve Fab Farm on Facebook or Fab Lab network. At the moment we are renovating a ruin and building a treehouse and everything that comes with it. Such as compost toilet, shower, kitchen but also the treehouse itself.
The farm (22 hectares) is located in the western Algarve, south of Portugal, with beautiful beaches and small villages. Secluded but only a few minutes by car from the nearest village. (Barão de São João)
The project is a mix of low and high-tech. We started it on an old long-forgotten farm and we are really building everything from scratch. I started building the infrastructure of the farm in late 2016, from roads, and lakes (rainwater collection), renovating a ruin, build the lab machines to set up a solar grid. We are mostly off the grid but we still buy gas for cooking.
The idea is to farm with help of tech, or to tech with help of the farm :-). I want to create a space where thinkers, makers & farmers can learn, create and share technology to improve everyone's lives. The lab will serve farmers or just anybody; artists, inventors, surfers, hackers...
We are a family of 5 with two girls and a boy. We have 4 dogs, 3 cats, and happy chickens, all living in harmony!
So we need help in so many areas right now that you would surely fit in with what you already like to do. And if you want to explore new areas you will be welcome.
Attention: Winter in the Algarve is mostly warm during the day but it can be cold and rainy for days and then you can have a sunny afternoon and rain again at night. The weather is a bit unpredictable but temperatures are never below 8 degrees Celsius. So bring boots, work gloves, and a raincoat.
Ayuda en proyectos ecológicos
Proyectos de construcción y bricolaje
Cuidado de animales
Cocinar para toda la familia
Ayuda con ordenadores/Internet
Learn about digital fabrication as well as help build an environment that will benefit the community around us. We will explore traditional and new construction techniques. Imagine mixing adobe with 3d printing or making your own surfboard.
The help we need is very generic:
- mechanics work
- 3d design
- architecture design
- from setting up pumps to helping build a machine;
- renovate the ruin with traditional methods;
- agriculture, plant experimental and traditional crops;
- setup our website
- build accommodations for helpers and guests of the lab.
- pile firewood.
Please don't apply if you are unsure about our place or the length of your stay. Short interrupted stays disrupt the other volunteers and our routine as we put a lot of energy on each new person.
If you are going to stay with us because you are looking for a job and need a place to stay do not apply unless you can commit here to a minimum of 2 weeks again interrupted stays disrupt our routine.
The fab farm is not for everyone, some of our installations are simple and rudimentary, remember we are in a constant process of improving and we really started from scratch.
At the moment the focus is the house and general infrastructure.
Projects like making solar panels for water heating, finishing setting up the lab, or building a laser cutter are currently going on but also we have more basic stuff like planting vegetables, fruit trees, and feeding farm animals...
I have built a milling CNC, 3d printers, and laser cutters and I intend to use these machines to assist in building all these projects, also it's my intention to document every process and release it on the internet.
Chino (mandarín): Principiante
Este anfitrión ofrece intercambio de idiomas
Este anfitrión ha indicado que está interesado en compartir su idioma o aprender otro.
Ponte en contacto con él para obtener más información.
We have a very comfy caravan that should be shared with other volunteers and those with their own camper-vans are also welcome. We have a compost toilet, as well as a convenient flushing earthworm compost toilet, sink, and hot showers.
When volunteering with us, we would like that you observe the following notes about sleep, food, work, waste, etc...
- What can you expect: nice views, a quiet and peaceful place, fresh vegetables from our organic garden, physical work, dirty hands, and the use of your skill.
- Leisure: Surf and great weather most of the year. Nice small villages. Bike and walking tracks everywhere around.
- The work: should be 3 hours a day 5 days a week. From 9:00am to 12:00pm. You will be responsible to keep track of your own time and as we work on a trust basis, we won’t be looking over your time or tasks frequently. We will discuss tasks the day before or after breakfast. You should expect physical work - farm (hard) work, building work, as well as the works related to setting up the fabfarm.
- Food: Occasionally we might do a BBQ or a Pizza party together, as for the other meals you need to supply your own ingredients and cook. You will be expected to rinse and wash your dishes, and to cook in rotation with others.
- Vegetable garden: We grow some vegetables and you are welcome to take from the garden what you need but currently we are not with a large variety so you need to supplement on your own other vegetables you might need.
- Snacks: We don't supply snacks or fruits, we ask you to arrange your preferred ones at the village's shop and keep it with you.
- Waste: We separate some of our waste so we also expect you to place food leftovers in a bowl to be fed to the farm animals.
- Smoking: is prohibited inside the caravan and the house, also always have in mind that cigarettes can start wildfires, and especially in the summer, this is a very sensitive matter for the entire country.
- Drugs: It’s an uncomfortable subject that must be dealt with in the beginning. We don’t judge what people do during their time in their places but we don’t allow illegal drugs on the farm and we expect all guests to understand and respect this.
- Accommodation: Guests would stay in a caravan or a tent. The Caravan is quite new (it was my family's home for one year before I moved to the ruin) and it can fit a couple and 2 singles comfortably (in a double bed and bunk bed). So you might have to share the space with males and/or females. Smoking inside the caravan is not allowed. Keep it clean, organized, and well maintained.
- Personal hygiene: We have an outside flushing worm compost toilet, a compost toilet, a sink, and showers with hot water. We ask you to bring your towel, sunscreen, and only biodegradable shampoo/soap since we try to be as sustainable as we can/know.
- Travel and going around: We recommend coming by car or renting a scooter in Lagos, we can always give rides, since we’re almost daily coming and going to town and around :-). The village of Barão de São João is 5 min away by car or 30 min (2 km) on foot along a dirt road, where you can find bars and restaurants. There is a bus stop 4 minutes by car from the farm that can take you to Lagos where there is the nearest train station, there you will find supermarkets. If you arrive in the Algarve by Faro Airport you can take a bus or train to Lagos and we can meet at the station.
- Our Pets: We have 3 cats and 4 dogs, one is big and loves to play sometimes because of its size it can be too much and scary. If you don't like it, are scared, have allergies, or are uncomfortable with a big dog please do not apply.
Acceso a Internet
Acceso a Internet limitado
Puede alojar familias
Our internet is not superb so I suggest if you depend on the internet for income that you invest on a local 4G internet plan.
You can come with your camper-van there is space but we can't supply electricity as we are living off the grid as well and running on solar power.
Más de dos
3 hours a day, 5 days a week
Son opciones de calificación adicionales para cuando los miembros dejan sus comentarios. Se muestra la calificación media dejada en cada opción.
Precisión del perfil: