Our community project is a non-profit organisation based in the rural villages of the wild coast , transkei in South Africa. It is mainly ran and managed by the local people,the population in the area is uneducated and lack motivation to uplift their skills and knowledge for a better future.
As the project we work in community upliftment and early childhood development,through teaching young people permaculture skills and having a pre-school for children 2-5 years.
We are based 10km away from coffee bay which is a tourism attraction, and the beautiful landscapes of our surroundings is what makes staying with us an experience of a lifetime
Our project has looked into the fact that 98% of local children in grade 4 cannot read/write with understanding. The pre-school provide a solid foundation for children but after they move to government school, it gets difficult because the is lack of study material and resources. Looking at this disadvantage for our local children the projects decides to act in helping the children. Most young people in the village are uneducated and we hereby seek any help from people out side the region.
If you would like to help us help the community, please drop us an email. From there we can trade details such as: your arrival/contact info/what we cater for/your minimalist living conditions here/fun activities and sight seeing's here
Peace & Happiness!
DIY and building projects
Babysitting and creative play
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help with Eco Projects
Help around the house
Help with Computers/ Internet
This project could involve children. For more information see our guidelines and tips here.
Being part of our project will expose you to the Xhosa culture, the way xhosa people live their lives. You will get to attend community meetings whereby the people meet up and resolve their issues without going to the police.
The village is ruled by the headman, and he is also a committee member at our project. During free time we take our volunteers to see a famous Hole-in-the-wall, natural Jacuzzi and caves, dolphin and whale watching. We teach Xhosa language and Xhosa dancing, how to make drums and also play them.
Working together in shaping the future of a village child, knowing that one day they will be grownups that know how to take care of themselves.
DOING IT FOR FUTURE LEADERS!!!!
1. We need people that are qualified or have knowledge with farming and maintaining a greenhouse
2. Someone who can work well with children even if they do not speak the same language, be able to play educative games and sport.
3. Travelers can help with the contraction of new beds for the garden, painting on our buildings and also teach children painting skills.
4. We need volunteers to help with our after school activities:
help rural children know how to read and write
Teach art and crafts
improve their English language
Play games and have fun with local children
Teach recycling techniques
how to grow vegetables
We provide accommodation, and volunteers can bring their own food.
1. separate dorms for males and females, they have 4 beds each. The accommodation is based in the project premises, kitchen and lounge area shared by staff and volunteers.
2. Being in deep villages we do not have flushing toilets, we use long drops that are treated every month. We use rocket showers that are operated by paraffin.
3. We prepare traditional meals for tea time and lunch, dinner you can cook whatever you like.
4. During weekend or public holidays we do arrange visits to the near by hostels and backpackers (they are 5 in total), you can stay for free and others give discounts.
5. water is limited so we try refrain from showering, instead using a plastic bath bucket to stand in and little water to wash yourself.
6. water is limited so showering everyday is not possible.
We provide a local guide that takes you around the area to see local sights.transport can be arranged but mainly we do hikes around the village experiencing the landscapes.
Most of the young people in the village cannot read or write, that is the result why children cannot read or write because there is lack of motivation. That is the reason we ask volunteers to help us build a future for the next generation, motivate children to learn and have interest in education.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
More than two
Maximum 3 hours a day, 5 days a week (no food)