We run an organization in Uttarakhand where we run a chain of homestays/ sites across the state, along with having our own FMCG brand of indigenous grains and pulses from the hills sourced from local farmers. We aim to bring social benefit to Uttarakhand, have resulted in reverse migration to ghost villages with a steady livelihood, conduct training and workshops for villagers, conduct goat gene-pool evolution seminars and events, help with modern farming practices etc.
We are looking for a farm volunteer to work on our Hideout in :
%Chidiya-Gaon (Birds Village), Marchulla, Uttarakhand %
Chidiya-Gaon (Kopi) is a small village in Almora district, a sparse village with few houses.
Chidiya Gano, or The Birds Village.
Happy to announce our first opening in Kumanu, under the Hideouts management and Mad2Mud affiliation in Village Kopi, district Almora. With this association, we set our footprint in India's biggest National Park. The site is fully functional with 8 cottages. Besides the usual suspects of an abandoned village, the site houses amazing varieties of birds and mammals, except elephants owing to its altitude as compared to rest of the park. It's a biodiversity hotspot owing to a rivelute (tributary of Ramganga River) passing through the site. Although Durga Devi safari gate is just half an hour away, but sticking to our anti-establishment positioning, we will run a campaign called 'We DON'T do Tiger Safaris'.
Besides strengthening our supplier and buyer base for Bakri Chhap, we also will undertake an initiative called Walk the talk, in the lieu of dissuading guests from doing sterio types jeep safari. Walk the Talk will be an interpretive infotainment experience with blend of humor, environmental education, flora, fauna, local cuisine and culture.
An initiative of the women, by the women and for the women (of CTR)
We will be training girls from Kopi and the neighborhood village to create the first ever female guided village tour experience in CTR. It is an initiative to support the women in local landscape of Corbett, lessen the burden on traditional wildlife safari experiences and create a unique walking tour for guests visiting CTR. .
In our humble attempt, we are collaborating with some known Naturalists from the country to train and prepare our girls.
Please note while 'reverse migration of humans' was our social responsibility plank in Garhwal projects, 'Reverse migration of Wild Creatures' will be our champion cause there. Instead of focusing on done to death, over glamourised big mammals like tigers and elephants, we will be focussing of bottom of the food chain like birds, bees, butterflies, earthworms, reptiles, fireflies etc. We will be doing quarterly 'Before & After' audit in terms of biodiversity count to ascertain our commitment towards nature.
*नदिया किनारे 🌳पेड़ों की छाँव
पर्वत के पीछे, एक चिडिया गाँव 🦅
There is an ample amount of mobile connectivity with decent internet on most days (Jio 4G- Network). You can use your mobile internet. The site has a functional camp and electricity (again on most days and times). You will be working alongside locals on the farms or sometimes on your own.
The Hideout- Birds Village can be reached by a 1km trek from the nearest village.
A Hideout is an attractive place for people looking for -
1. Develop the patches of land for permaculture/ agriculture if you have prior experience on this.
2. Take initiative as a Guest Experience Manager, Interact with them to curate and engage with the guest experience.
3. Taking guests on walking safaris/ Village walks.
4. Help in the kitchen if you are interested in cooking your own food. We would love to taste it :)
5. Lifestyle shift in the tiny hills of Uttarakhand.
6. Lots of time for self-introspection - your neighbors are few and you will have a lot of time to hike around, watch beautiful sunsets, sip warm tea by the bonfire and reflect.
6. House Keeping.
7. You can hike around to the mountain ridge, to the nearby villages/ valleys to get fresher views and/or interact with local communities(Speak only Hindi & Garhwali)
5. Eat delicious local food.
6. Be a storyteller, content creator, and warm host to our guests at the Hideouts.
Help with Eco Projects
DIY and building projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help around the house
Help with Computers/ Internet
Chidiya Gaon (Birds Village) Kopi:
-The soil of Kopi is a haven for growing - We would love to host you if you have prior experience in farming and can develop a patch of the land on your own by growing a variety of everything from fruits to herbs to veggies etc.
- You get to experience true-blue Garhwali hills and beauty, live in the wild, understand lifestyle as a pahadi (mountain human)
- A good place for introspection and reflection, movement and mind therapy by taking gentle swim in the private river bed.
- Experience local delicacies / local food 3 meals a day + chai(tea).
- You are expected to work 5 hours a day 5 days a week at least. Most volunteers usually welcome more work to stay warm and engaged, but that's up to you.
- You will be trained to grow, plough, seed, harvest, prune etc under the guidance of local farmers and work alongside local staff / farmers.
- You will host guests at our home-stay and double up as story teller, content creators and hosts.
- You will be expected to contribute towards general maintenance of the house if required.
Chidiya Gaon (Birds Village) Kopi :
Since it's a site which we are still developing The volunteer accommodation with the regular staff will be camping. You will be given blankets and quilts for the cold. There are all basic utensils and you are free to cook for yourself if there is no house full situation or peak hours of guest breakfast. You might have to share your room with one other volunteer when we are hosting 2 volunteers.
The immediate vicinity is full of our farm and very few neighbors alongside a personal riverside bed. You can go to nearby villages to chat up the locals, visit the school, etc.
How to Reach -
Kopi Village (Marchulla) Ramnagar:
From Delhi to Ramnagar:
Catch an early morning bus from Delhi to Ramnagar, which is 240 Km (approx 7 Hrs). From here, catch a bus to Marchulla, which takes a little over 1.5 hrs (35 km). Once you reached Marchulla you can get off the bus and call us from the point will come to pick you up.
Dehradun to Ramnagar:
Catch an early morning or night bus from ISBT Dehradun to Ramnagar. It will take 7 hrs (216 Kms) to reach Ramnagar. From here, catch a bus to Marchulla, which takes a little over 1.5 hrs (35 km). Once you reached Marchulla you can get off the bus and call us from the point will come to pick you up.
We are living in a remote set-up and trying to undergo social change by providing livelihood through tourism and farming; care about the planet and people are at the basis of your project. We are looking for lively hosts who will consider the site their own and work alongside us to create slow and valuable tourism. It is going to be a slow and remote life, we hope that you come prepared.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
Yes, we can host digital nomads and have a secure connection for them as well
Campervans can be parked on the upper edge from where it is 15 minutes walk to The Hideout
Yes, we would love them <3
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week