We run an organization in Uttarakhand where we run a chain of homestays across the state, along with having our own FMCG brand of indigenous grains and pulses from the hills sourced from local farmers. We aim to bring social benefit to Uttarakhand, have resulted in reverse migration to ghost villages with a steady livelihood, conduct training and workshops for villagers, conduct goat gene-pool evolution seminars and events, help with modern farming practices etc.
We are looking for a farm volunteer to work on our Hideout in :
1. Kumali, Tehri Garhwal, Uttarakhand
Kumali is a small village in Uttarkashi district, a sparse village with few houses. Kumali has a beautiful landscape of mountains, forests, farming, valleys etc. Bamolaji, our host has a tiny traditional house up in the hills. The house is a traditional mud and wood structure, and has basic utilities like bedding, bathroom, water, kitchen etc.
Kumali is a haven for farming- the rich soil allowing us to grow everything from apple trees, cherry trees, apricots to green veggies like Spinach, Lettuce, zucchini , to herbs like rosemary, mint etc. There is ample amount of water flowing in. There is ample amount of mobile connectivity with decent internet on most days. You can use your mobile internet. The house has a functional bathroom and electricity (again on most days). You will be working alongside locals on the farms.
The hideout can be reached by a 1km trek from the nearest village.
The hideout is an attractive place for people looking for -
1. Lifestyle shift in the tiny hills of Uttarakhand.
2. Interaction with our hosts who are passionate about reviving glory to the mountains.
2. Learn some knowledge on farming and get hands on experience under the expert tutelage of our hosts.
3. Lots of time for self-introspection - your neighbours are few and you will have a lot of time to hike around, watch beautiful sunsets, sip warm tea by the bonfire and reflect.
4. You can hike around to the mountain ridge, to the nearby villages/ valleys to get fresher views and/or interact with local communities(Speak only Hindi & Garhwali)
5. Eat delicious local food.
6. Be a story -teller, content creator and warm host to our occasional guests at the Hideouts.
DIY and building projects
Creating/ Cooking family meals
Help with Eco Projects
Help around the house
Help with Computers/ Internet
-The soil of Kumali is a haven for growing - if you want to understand farming, this is the perfect place for you with a variety of everything from fruits to herbs to veggies growing.
- Bamolaji is an excellent host - he is a hustler with numerous stories to share about life in the hills, Kumali, his experiences at work, and at the same time guide about farming, the terrain etc.
- Enjoy a short 2d2n vacation at any of our other locations in Uttarakhand (depending upon availability) and experience our hospitality as a goodwill gesture at the end of your tenure.
- You get to experience true-blue Garhwali hills and beauty , live into the wild, understand lifestyle as a pahadi (mountain human)
- A good place for introspection and reflection, movement and mind therapy.
- Experience local delicacies / local food 3 meals a day + unlimited chai(tea).
- You are expected to work 5 hours a day 5 days a week at least. Most volunteers usually welcome more work to stay warm and engaged, but that's up to you.
- You will be trained to grow, plough, seed, harvest, prune etc under the guidance of Bamolaji and work alongside local staff / farmers.
- You will host occasional guests at our home-stay and double up as story teller, content creator and host.
- You will be expected to contribute towards general maintenance of the house if required.
The house is a one storey structure of wood and stone. The ground floor is low and dark. The upper floor has more space and opens out to the valley with a balcony. Stepping out from that darkness into sunlight that fills your eyes so you cannot immediately see the low branches of apricot and apple trees, but they are there to welcome you.
You will be given a room to yourself, and the bathroom is outside the house (about 25m away). You will be given blankets and quilts for the cold. There are all basic utensils and you are free to cook for yourself. You might have to share your room with one other volunteer when we are hosting 2 volunteers.
The immediate vicinity is full of our farm and very few neighbors. You can go to nearby villages to chat up the locals, visit the school etc.
- Simply walk out the door and trek into the forest of dense pine and oak trees, otherwise, across the valley to the east stands the peak of Kharthara, which can be hiked in a single day without too much difficulty.
- Enjoy Nothingness
- Enjoy a short 2d2n vacation at any of our other locations in Uttarakhand and experience our hospitality as a goodwill gesture at the end of your tenure.
How to Reach -
Catch an early morning bus from Dehradun to Barni Ghat, which is 80 Km (approx 3.5 Hrs). From here, catch a taxi (shared or private) to Deval Bend, which takes a little over an hour. Here the road stops and you must complete the last 1 km of the journey to the house on foot, although it is possible to hire a mule for ~ 500 INR which will take your luggage.
We are living in a remote set-up and trying to undergo social change by providing livelihood through tourism and farming; care about the planet and people are at the basis of your project. We are looking for lively hosts who will consider the house their own and work alongside us to create slow and valuable tourism. It is going to be a slow and remote life, we hope that you come prepared.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Can host families
Yes we can host digital nomads and have a secure connection for them as well
This host can provide space for campervans.
This host has said they are willing to accept those travelling with a pet.
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week