Bisher 894 mal gespeichert
Bonjour! We are Eyal and Tia. Our home on a forested hill above farmland has an ever-changing view of the Pyrenees. Glass doors light the double-volume lounge, opening onto terrace, pool and garden. We and our cats, Caramelle and Magic, want to share it with you.
Our day jobs involve programming and writing. We also host Shakespeare readings and are interested in developing creative workshops for personal growth. We value your creative, DIY, housework and gardening skills to create a comfortable and stimulating environment for all our guests, including volunteers.
We love to work hard, and to relax! We enjoy yoga, walking, cycling, swimming, and exploring local sights, gastronomy and events like the Marciac Jazz and Madiran Wine Festivals, as well as skiing in the Pyrenees.
Our local Tourist Office offers guided walks in summer. Restaurants, markets, wine farms, galleries, museums and horse-riding are nearby. Within 2hrs by car are climbing, skiing, river rafting, spas, caves, and beaches.
Heimwerker- und Bauarbeiten
Betreuung von Tieren
Zubereiten / Kochen von Mahlzeiten für die Familie
Hilfe mit Computer /Internet
CULTURAL, LANGUAGE AND SKILLS OPPORTUNITIES
- Local events include music, dance, food and wine festivals, and flea and farmers' markets.
- There are also classic car rallies, art and photographic exhibitions, walks, seminars, etc.
- We want to learn which music you like and are happy to share our favourite music too.
- You can join us when we visit local art galleries and musical events or go on your own.
- We can teach you computer, Internet and programming skills and learn from you too!
- Our books and movies include classics, drama, sci-fi, thrillers, philosophy, self-help, etc.
- We play board games such as Scrabble, Catan, Backgammon, CashFlow, as well as cards.
- You can learn to make lovely vegan and vegetarian meals, such as fresh hummus.
- Our DIY projects may enable you to learn or practise skills such as painting, woodwork, etc.
- We are in the Madiran wine region where several vineyards offer tasting experiences.
- You can practise yoga with us, and/or attend classes with an excellent teacher nearby.
We value your skills in housework, building, painting, stonemasonry, tiling, paving, electrics, plumbing, carpentry, landscaping, tree surgery, gardening, IT, or admin. We also welcome teachers of yoga, French, dancing, drumming, keyboard, recorder, guitar, or singing.
We may ask you to help clean bedrooms and bathrooms for non-paying occupants. Non-paying guests are considered part of the family, so no wages apply in these cases.
Note: We're organised. You must be able to follow a schedule, show up on time without reminders, clean up after yourself (clean and tidy your room and bathroom often, clean and store tools and equipment after every use, etc.).
We prefer you to stay for 3 weeks. The minimum is 2 weeks, including the 5-day trial. Volunteer turnaround day is Saturday (arrive p.m; leave a.m.).
Hours: Approximately 5 hours per day 5 days per week, plus help with meals (cooking, clean-up, etc.). By agreement, you can sometimes do more hours one day to free up time on another day.
We are early risers. We awaken at 06:30 and do yoga at 07:15. Breakfast/coffee is at 08:00, followed by morning chores and then whichever projects we've planned for that day. Unless we arrange an afternoon session, volunteering usually finishes by lunch, except for evening chores (e.g. dinner prep, water garden, close shutters).
So you're free after lunch to relax by the pool or explore until dinner. You can arrange in advance to skip dinner and its chores and go out all afternoon and evening, provided the house is quiet by 22:30, Sunday to Friday.
On weekends, volunteers help with any meals they eat. If we're doing anything exciting, we'll often invite you along. You can relax at home, although we encourage you to spend at least one day out to give everyone some space. Saturday eve may be late, as may Sunday morning! Sunday eve we retire early to rise fresh on Monday.
Note: If this pattern doesn't suit you because you need to party or to watch Netflix until midnight, or because you're naturally grumpy until mid-morning, then this is not the post for you!
Afrikaans: Gute Kenntnisse
Französisch: Gute Kenntnisse
Dieser Gastgeber bietet Sprachaustausch an
LANGUAGE PRACTICE - We share most meals with volunteers, with interesting wide-ranging conversations. - We speak English at home. We can teach English vocabulary, grammar and writing. - Tia has a BA in English and French, a BA Honours in English Poetry, and an MA in Creative Writing. - Tia's mother tongue is English. She also speaks some French, Afrikaans and Hebrew. - Eyal's mother tongue is Hebrew. He is fluent in English and is learning French. - You can participate in the amateur Shakespeare readings which we organise and host. - To learn French, you can practise with us, watch French TV or DVDs, and join local activities. - We enjoy reading, writing and translating poetry from English to French or vice versa for pleasure. - Join us for sci-fi, classic and foreign films or series in English and French or with subtitles.
We prefer to host couples or friends who can share a bedroom and a bathroom. Our own room and two guest rooms each have a private bathroom. There is also a separate guest WC. Some spaces in the main house can accommodate occasional extra guests. A spacious garden cabin can also hold up to four people. Those staying in the cabin use bathrooms in the main house. You might change beds, depending on guest configuration.
We eat mainly vegetarian food, mostly from a vegan cookbook, i.e. fresh salads, fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts, and grains. We try to source organic, minimise refined foods, and follow a low-gluten, low-sugar diet. Our meals are tasty, healthy and filling. Whether you are vegan, vegetarian, or omnivorous, you will be well-nourished!
- If you are vegan or vegetarian, we can happily adapt our diet to the relevant regime, and we are also happy to adjust meals for genuine allergies. However, we do not cater for picky eaters, such as vegetarians who don't like vegetables, nor do we offer multiple different meals for a single sitting.
- We do occasionally enjoy dairy, eggs, fish, seafood, poultry, pork, etc. and the region's delicious desserts, cheese and wine, so you may see these items in our kitchen, even if you do not eat them.
- We practise intermittent fasting, so we do not partake of all meals and sometimes shift our meal schedule if entertaining or going out. However, you can always have three meals a day if that makes you happier! :)
- Our 12m x 6m outdoor swimming pool is open from May to November.
- We offer good WIFI. Your use must not interfere with our access.
- We use Skype or WhatsApp for outgoing phone calls.
- We normally do laundry on Monday and finish ironing and packing away by Wednesday.
- Musical instruments include a keyboard, recorders, electronic drum set, Cajon, etc.
- Many walks and cycle rides are possible. You can borrow our bicycles, at your own risk.
- The Chemin de St Jaques—the pilgrim route to Santiago de Compostela—passes nearby.
- We love animals and our cats are friendly, but we do not usually accept visiting pets.
- The property is not suitable for children.
- Ours is a non-smoking home. We do not allow smoking anywhere on the property.
- Our house is 2.5km from Maubourguet centre (car 7min, cycle 12min, walk 30min).
- There is no public transport between our house and Maubourguet.
- We have extra bicycles and secure parking for your own bicycles.
- You can rent cars from airports, from Tarbes, or from our local SuperU, and we have parking space.
- Car time to airports (mins): Lourdes 36, Pau 52, Biarritz 110, Toulouse 118, Bordeaux 122.
- Trains run from all airports to Tarbes Station, then buses to Maubourguet (except Sun).
- On Saturdays, we can often help with lifts to and from Tarbes Station or Maubourguet.
- Compare ways of getting here and click through to providers: rome2rio.com
- Compare train and bus routes and book tickets: trainline.com
- Local bus timetable: mestrajets.lio.laregion.fr/horaires
- You must get travel insurance before you join us. See workaway.info/links-insurance.html
You agree to:
- Show us proof that you are fully vaccinated against Covid.
- Arrive wearing a mask and be willing to wear a mask whenever we wear masks.
- Heed pandemic conventions such as social distancing, hand hygiene and, if necessary, quarantine.
Eingeschränkter Internet Zugang
Wir besitzen Tiere
Wir sind Raucher
We have a good connection, but we ask Workawayers not to use the connection to stream or download videos while we are working online, to avoid slowing down our conference calls and other work.
There is room on the driveway to accommodate a small van without blocking access to the garage or the carport.
It depends on the size and discipline of your pets, and whether they get on well with cats. We have a large property but our borders are porous (fence can be crossed and our gates are often open); we cannot guarantee your pets will stay on-premises, nor can we take responsibility for their safety. Also, it is an absolute rule that pets on our premises do not eat any human food, including leftovers. Begging in the kitchen or dining room is strongly discouraged.
mehr als zwei
Approximately 5 hours a day 5 days a week
Dies sind zusätzliche optionale Bewertungen, wenn Mitglieder Feedback hinterlassen. Es wird die im Schnitt hinterlassene Bewertung für jede Option angezeigt.
Korrekte Angaben im Profil: