We are building a hostel within an amazing 13-hectare finca using permaculture design techniques. We plan to create a hub for activity, adventure, fun and education within a unique mountain-jungle paradise and river beach.
This is a project in an entirely unique location within the foot-hills of the Sierra Nevada, close to a neighbouring indigenous town Quebrada del Sol. We are fortunate enough to have a 2-hectare fruit forest and 700m of the Buritaca river running along the outskirts of the property, with rapids, rock pools, natural swimming pools, cliff jumps and a beautiful private beach. We are located in a valley with unique mirador views of the snowy peaks of the Sierra Nevada.
We are a team of 3 environmentally conscious people, who have fled the London lifestyle to immerse ourselves in a different way of both living and thinking. We aim to make a lively hostel whilst providing a space to learn about sustainable ways of living.
Hilfe bei Ökoprojekten
Heimwerker- und Bauarbeiten
Betreuung von Tieren
Mithilfe auf einem Bauernhof
Zubereiten / Kochen von Mahlzeiten für die Familie
On site there will be a team of Colombian builders, providing all volunteers the chance to converse with local Costeños… assuming you can understand the hardest Colombian dialect we've come across. We also plan to have volunteers from all over the globe so you’re not just stuck with brits, although I could think of worse things.
Colette has a PDC qualification where she accumulated a lot of knowledge around permaculture systems and sustainable design.
**** ENGLISH TEACHERS AND CARPENTERS WANTED****
In addition to the below, we are also looking for:
- A person whose primary responsibility is to provide English lessons to the local community. This would be both lessons to children, as well as adults who wish to be proficient in English to be able to become tour guides for the local area. There may also be other tasks to do around the finca midweek (unrelated to teaching), dependent on the number of English lessons needed.
- People with carpentry experience who will be helping with a variety of carpentry tasks that we have here to complete the construction of the house and the bar.
- We have used permaculture design principles to develop a design for the land but we are still in the early phases and our design and plans are constantly evolving, the more we learn about the land and from others. We are looking for volunteers who have experience in permaculture or agroforestry (ideally having completed a Permaculture Design Course) who are eager to put their skills in to practice, learn and share knowledge. As well as short term stays, we are interested in long term, where the person(s) will look to take significant control over the running of the garden and have plenty of time to implement ideas and see them through to completion. With 13 hectares to play with and the early nature of the project, this role has a lot of scope for creativity, experimentation and influence in the overall design. We are open-minded and always eager to learn from others about innovative and sustainable ways of doing things
- We have built a raised key hole vegetable garden and look for help in planting and maintaining the vegetables. Other jobs will include management of our 2-hectare fruit forest, general gardening and helping us plant trees from our nursery to support our reforestation target. We have signed up to a local reforestation scheme and will be working with the community to achieve our commitment to plant 1000 trees by mid 2021.
- We are in the middle of renovating and extending the existing 7 bedroom house to provide accomodation for guests in the future. We are also building a river-side bar, storage rooms, a nursery (plants not children), shower block, compost loos and a water irrigation system. To reduce our environmental impact and make use of the abundance in the region, we will be building primarily with clay using our own brick press. We are looking for both skilled and non-skilled workers, especially those with experience building with clay. Skilled labourers must have previous experience working as a carpenter, electrician, plumber or general construction, whilst non-skilled will be working on ad-hoc projects such as painting, varnishing, and helping to make the earth bricks as mentioned above. However, this is all entirely dependent on what stage of the project we are currently at, so please speak with us beforehand.
- As all 3 of us plan to take a hands-on approach with the construction and the farm, we are looking for a couple or individuals happy to take charge of the kitchen. Your responsibilities will be to cook lunch and dinner (for other volunteers and us). The rest of the time is yours! Until the kitchen is built this will be using a 2-ring gas hob or fire, progressing to a large industry sized kitchen once we are further into the build. We are looking for a competent cook who enjoys cooking vegetarian dishes.
Help with Eco Project
- We are 3 environmentally conscious individuals looking to build and live in a way that values and respects the resources available on the land whilst reducing our environmental impact. We are constantly exploring innovative ways to reduce and reuse our waste (and welcome any creativity). We are currently building compost toilets (as well as having an existing homemade compost toilet for use during the toilet construction), have a basic solar setup with a view to expand to a full solar farm in the future, as well as looking to generate gas through a bio-digester system. Experience in any of these are welcome, we always welcome new ideas around sustainability.
We are looking for people that speak Spanish to help with practice and ultimately improving our level.
If you don't have any experience of the above please still get in touch if you would wish to be a part of our project, we are always happy to welcome people with good energy and are happy to get their hands dirty :)
Dieser Gastgeber bietet Sprachaustausch an
Dieser Gastgeber gibt an, dass er dir gern seine Muttersprache beibringt oder selbst eine Sprache lernen möchte.
Bitte wende dich direkt an ihn, um weitere Auskünfte zu erhalten.
Although we are in a remote location, fortunately there is an already existing 7 bed house on site, which we will therefore be utilising as accommodation through-out construction. We have already renovated the insides, meaning that we are all sleeping comfortably in beds, you will be staying in one of our 2 recently finished 8 bedroom driftwood dorms, however there may also be privates available.
We have finished the build of our compost toilets and shower block, however the river is a stones throw away and is our preffered option for showering.
We have set up a small solar system to start with which provides power for Wi-Fi and charging.
As above, we have a temporary kitchen using a gas-hob. All food will be provided free of charge to all volunteers. We also usually have plenty of beers available which you can buy for a small fee to help cover costs.
The land is filled with natural beauty with howler monkeys, aguillas, toucans and plenty of spots for walking, swimming and relaxing.
At weekends, we often visit the local town where we often play football, pool, and drink a few beers with the locals; we have a 4x4 which we often take (with a designated sober driver of course), and you would be welcome to come with us should we be going.
Current access to the land requires you to cross the Buritaca river by foot, however it is easy to cross, with the water usually coming to knee height.
Eingeschränkter Internet Zugang
Wir besitzen Tiere
Wir sind Raucher
Dieser Gastgeber ist bereit, Reisende mit Haustieren bei sich aufzunehmen.
mehr als zwei
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week
Dies sind zusätzliche optionale Bewertungen, wenn Mitglieder Feedback hinterlassen. Es wird die im Schnitt hinterlassene Bewertung für jede Option angezeigt.
Korrekte Angaben im Profil: