Bisher 115 mal gespeichert
Dear All Volunteers,
We all wish you safe and well wherever you are in the world. We are sorry for the extreme delay in replying to your message.
We received many messages on interest to volunteer with us, however due to COVID-19 Pandemic and travel restrictions, we regret to inform you that the school is now close temporarily and the route to school is not open to public.
We will inform on this page when the school starts to open.
I wish you well and the very best in your future.
Our school will open starting 2 Jan 2020 until end of November 2020. All volunteers are welcome to be part of the project to inculcate the English language with our students.
The recent result for final exams (UPSR), we have an increase percentage of passing from 0% in 2018 to 50% passing marks in 2019. That is an incredible success for the school. We hope with this program, would better attract the students to learn English in an interactive ways.
Many thanks to the previous volunteers who has been part of the success journey for our school. We thank you for your support and initiatives.
We are a small school in a rural area of Sabah, Malaysia, (Borneo) with limited access to the city. Currently there are 12 full time paid teachers and 3 staff and all of them are local. The teachers here teaches the children according to the syllabus given by the Ministry of Education.
We need help with volunteers who can come to the school and teach the children of basic English communication for daily conversation. There should not be any protocol or specific syllabus, but we want the children to be very familiar with basic conversation. Greetings, asking for help etc. Volunteer can also help with playing board games or other tools by speaking with the children. Each volunteer who comes in and volunteer with us will be reviewed according to their deliverables. We really hope you could teach us the best, simplified and fun way to learn English. We want your stay with us gives positive impact to the students, school and the communities.
Apart from that, volunteer can also help with our eco project around the school area.
Hilfe bei Ökoprojekten
Volunteer will learn about the communities of the aboriginals of rural Sabah. It's best to understand how the communities in the area do for their living. Explore the places and get to know the children, and understand their culture. It's beautiful mixed of ethnic culture here in Borneo.
Dresscode in Malaysia, particularly in the school where you will be interacting with children as follows:
- preferably long skirt/pants/jeans (except torn jeans). Anything short (pants/skirt) can be accepted if its knee length. Anything above the knee length will be considered as inappropriate.
- T-shirt (collared or round) is fine, but please no sleeveless neither strap shirt. Please be mindful of the transparency of your shirt or the wordings & graphics on it. We want to give good impression and influence to the children.
- When you are inside of your room/house, you could wear anything that's comfortable to you.
- long pants/jeans (except torn jeans) is preferred, however if you must wear short pants, kindly ensure it's decent (towards the children and local people)
- appreciate if you could keep your shirt on while teaching, or interacting with children or local communities. If it's too hot, you could take off your shirt inside your room/house.
Child Protection Act
- Do not be in a closed room alone with any child at any particular time.
- Do not snap a selfie or a photo with any particular child/children, and upload in any social media revealing his/her name, place of where it's taken or anything personal.
- Please ask for permission (non verbal gesture at least) from the children/guardian before taking photos of any children. Respect them if they do not wish to be photographed.
- Do not engage in any physical contact with any children that may lead to any suspicion from the teachers/communities, (e.g. hugging, kissing, patting on their head, ask them to sit on your lap, etc). High-fives and hand shakes are permissable.
Volunteer required to be speaking English and help with daily conversation with children. They are the aboriginals of Sabah and the school is in the rural area. Children does not speak English, hence we want to inculcate the atmosphere of speaking English in the village. Volunteer can also bring some educational tools or games to play in English language. Daily conversation with the children will be more helpful in getting the children understand English better.
School children will be assessed on their English prior to your arrival vs post departure. We hope to have a significant improvement on their English, especially in communication. We want the volunteers to be very helpful in addressing ways to help children learning English. This way, we know that by opening up the school to international volunteers will give positive impact and add values to both parties.
For the time being, there will be a small hut, with mattress, pillows and blanket provided. To ensure the cleanliness of the pillow, blanket and mattress, please use them whenever you have already cleaned up yourself. There's also bathroom and toilet available with fresh water supply. We are currently progressing to improve the facility here.
Your shoes and sandals should be placed outside of the house - it is local customs here in Asia especially Malaysia.
The internet access is limited in the area and no wi-fi available at this place. The nearest point for internet access is at the town, accessible via 30 minutes train ride.
The school will provide 3 daily meals for the volunteer. Please let us know in advance if you have specific diet - Vegetarian, Fruitarian, Allergy to Peanuts etc.
At your arrival, we will give you a form to fill up your particular information, especially on the type of medicine that you are familiar with / allergic to, any specific diet or allergy to food, any previous injury or health condition, your blood type and your next of kin or relatives/friends. Our school is in a rural areas, so we need to know this information in advance, in case you require medical attention. While you volunteer with us, your safety and wellbeing is our concern.
The only access to the place is via local train, so it will be a valuable experience going in to the area via classic train with a view of a beautiful river.
The school only operates 5 days a week (Mon - Fri), you may need to go out of Pangi during weekends as no one will be available at the school. So during this off day, you may explore Borneo and its attraction around Sabah. You could plan for a hike at Mt. Kinabalu, or enjoy the beautiful corals at Samporna. But the problem is that all these places are far away and public transport is much limited. However during your time off when you are in Pangi, you could go for swim in the river behind the school. There's also a popular White Water Rafting activities next to the school. A few trail available for trekking and hiking. You could explore the areas, but this requires local people to go along with you.
Eingeschränkter Internet Zugang
Wir besitzen Tiere
Wir sind Raucher
mehr als zwei
Maximum 4 hours a day, 5 days a week
Dies sind zusätzliche optionale Bewertungen, wenn Mitglieder Feedback hinterlassen. Es wird die im Schnitt hinterlassene Bewertung für jede Option angezeigt.
Korrekte Angaben im Profil: