I am a pastor in Homabay Town. I have a wife and six children and we have adopted four other children. We live together in my house in Homabay. I also have a home in Kwoyo village, about 50 km from Homabay. Here I have an acre where I am currently planting some trees. These trees will be added to the mango and avocado trees that are already there and that we will collect the fruits of. I am also trying to realise a waterproject by pumping water out of the ground so that I can provide my community with clean water. This will give us more water for agriculture and it will help fighting problems like malaria, diarrea, typhoid, etc. Other than that we have some chickens and cows.
To answer your 6 questions :
1. The working time depends very much. Actually you will have a lot of free time you can use however you like, you can spend some quiet time with reading, studying, writing or you can get to know the school next to our home. There you could do a club or you can teach in class.
There are some things you can do in the house like helping my wife Christine to do laundry, cleaning the house, going to the market and cooking the african way.
When the kids are back from school you can cook together with them or just spend some time with them.
If we go to the village you can learn a lot of new things as well like weeding the fields together with the local workers there, how to prepare chicken, visit some local people there who are happy to see visitors and may get to know the way they organize their community projects.
2. Meals and food happen like that the visitors are free to choose to buy food for themselves or join the family meals. We will provide local meals such as green vegetables, tea, bread, lemons, fish, traditional regular bread, porridge and many others. If you are willing we appreciate if you decide to provide food for us as well at times.
3. Internet phones are allowed to be used all the times and at any times
when there is need of that. No problems. There is a internet coffee near by. Also it is posibel to buy data in the shops (about 1000 KES for 3GB) round here. We are planning to provide also a internetbox in our home so that you can buy internet data to use it.
4. Public transportation is available and private transportation hiring
will be possible when needed by the visitors. You just have to pay for fuel then.
5. Things to be seen: boat ride on lake Victoria, touring, the game park reservations, seeing people with
disability, the aged people, livestock.
6. We could also accommodate families/with children and animals as well if you let us know when you are planning to come and how long you want to stay.
Yours faithfully in Christ.
Heimwerker- und Bauarbeiten
Zubereiten / Kochen von Mahlzeiten für die Familie
Mithilfe auf einem Bauernhof
Hilfe bei Ökoprojekten
Betreuung von Tieren
Hilfe mit Computer /Internet
Stay with a local Kenyan family and learn about our culture, language and foods.
Dieses Projekt schließt möglicherweise den Umgang mit Kindern ein. Mehr Informationen findest du in unseren Verhaltensregeln und Tipps hier.
I am involved in different projects and have many different areas I need help with.
Firstly, you can help me plant trees in my village and collect the mangos and avocados from the trees that are already there.
Secondly, you can help me realize the waterproject I have started by helping to find some sponsors to realize and finish it after local workers from Nairobi already started to build access to the water source that could be found under ground. It is very important for the community that this project can be completed.
You can also help out with the animals (chickens and cows) and other farming activities.
Finally, since I am a pastor I am quite involved in the community and I can link you to schools in need of teachers so you can get involved with the local children.
Swahili (Kiswahili): Fließend
Both in my house in Homabay as well as in my home in the village I will provide the volunteers with a room. There are toilets and showers for their use.
Depending on your interests we will establish whether to stay in Homabay or in Kwoyo, but since I have a car I can easily transport you and we can even alternate between the accomodations. You will become part of the family!
Homabay is situated on the beautiful lake Victoria. There is also a big animal reservation park nearby that you could visit if you'd like. We will show you around and you will get involved in community life. As for transport I have a car and there is enough local transport to and from Homabay.
Eingeschränkter Internet Zugang
Wir besitzen Tiere
Wir sind Raucher