Amazing location nestled in the foothills of Morne Fraser overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and bay of Castle Bruce beach on the east coast of Dominica.
Our site suffered severe damage during the passing of Category 5 Hurricane Maria in September 2017. All wooden structures including 2 homes, 3 guesthouse cabins and our school space were totally destroyed and our families lost everything from floorboards to solar panels including fridge, oven, furniture, mattresses, kids toys, clothes and, most heart-breakingly, all our books and 80% of our tree and garden crops.
3 years on, things are getting much better and we are focussing on WHAT WE HAVE!!
- A new concrete dwelling with open living space, kitchen, shower and flushing toilet
- An almost complete wooden cabin for rental
- Natural spring water source
- Double vault compost toilet (structure in need of some renovations)
- Tool shed and collection of basic tools, including a generator and some power tools.
- A bunch of salvaged lumber
- Seeds and some basic organic produce in the ground
- Our cow Irie-Grace, dog Gemini and cat Krishna :-)
- A fiercely motivated energy to restore our piece of paradise
- EACH OTHER!
Living on this beautiful mountainside, developing an off-grid homestead using the principles of permaculture design, is mama Sian, Mario (7) and baby Anaya (1) ☺️ so each day is busy regardless of projects done on the property!
The long-term vision is to create a self-sufficient homestead and space for an expansive educational community where travellers and residents can experience life in harmony with the thriving natural world whilst engaging in a range of yoga and mindfulness retreats, permaculture design courses and natural building workshops.
I am currently focused on:
Completing the rental cabin and restoring and maintaining the garden spaces between the cabin and main house.
Additional projects when the time and team are right ☺️
- constructing a small fishpond and natural swim/plunge pool
- building a concrete dome as a secondary rental
- rebuilding the structure of the compost toilet
- building a cob oven and outdoor bar and bbq area
- installing a simple outdoor shower
- planting wind-breaks such as bamboo and fruit trees and erosion control such as vetiver grass.
I am rebuilding the property almost from scratch on a shoestring budget... and would love support from committed, conscious, kindhearted helpers who can handle (and enjoy!) basic living conditions. Construction or home renovation experience would be amazing. Knowledge/experience of using permaculture would be ideal.
Volunteers will stay in a cabin if available, or a tent with shared bathroom facilities. There is slow internet available via my phone for checking mails (on your own device).
We are located in a fairly remote rural area surrounded by farms and forest. Beautiful river hang-out spots and some hiking trails are close by. The beach is a 25 minute walk.
Thanks for reading 💚 much respect and gratitude.
*️️️️️️ *️️️️️️ *️️️️️️ *️️️️️️ *️️️️️️ *️️️️️️ *️️️️️️
Heimwerker- und Bauarbeiten
Babysitten und Kinderbetreuung
Zubereiten / Kochen von Mahlzeiten für die Familie
Mithilfe auf einem Bauernhof
Hilfe bei Ökoprojekten
You will learn....
- to survive in the bush with very little resources
- to construct hurricane resilient concrete dome structures
- to live without limited electricity and internet connection
- to see the beauty of the natural world in its purest form
- to love and laugh no matter your hardships
Dieses Projekt schließt möglicherweise den Umgang mit Kindern ein. Mehr Informationen findest du in unseren Verhaltensregeln und Tipps hier.
We are hoping to host volunteers with some building skills, especially carpenters and people with construction experience - but this is not essential. More important to be fairly strong and physically fit, possess positive and conscious vibes and have the right attitude and work ethic.
Dieser Gastgeber bietet Sprachaustausch an
Dieser Gastgeber gibt an, dass er dir gern seine Muttersprache beibringt oder selbst eine Sprache lernen möchte.
Bitte wende dich direkt an ihn, um weitere Auskünfte zu erhalten.
In tents - if you have your own please bring it as we have limited resources. As mentioned above, all lodgings were destroyed so conditions are basic.
We share the toilet and shower located in the house.
Buses run to Roseau (capital) monday-saturday. We are close to the beach, river, hiking trails, Kalinago territory for indigenous culture, mountains, rainforest... Nature adventures to be had at every turn.
Eingeschränkter Internet Zugang
Wir besitzen Tiere
Wir sind Raucher
For the time being the WiFi is only available via my cell phone and is very slow. Fine for checking emails and WhatsApp and that’s all. However by 2021 I should have proper WiFi facilities.
Yes but I would be surprised if anyone came to Dominica that way but sure, fine with me!
Flexible but totalling 25 hours per week