Bisher 353 mal gespeichert
►►►►►►►► Check our calendar for availability :) We'll set the "Last-Minute" setting if we have less than a week to find someone.
Due to COVID-19, we're doing things a little differently. We ask for 25 hours of help a week (5 days/week, 5hr/day), and we include in your exchange every morning a healthy fresh shake from the shake station (we have about 5 varieties, vegan options) or a supply of food of 1 weeks worth of breakfast. We also are very aware that this is a stressful time, mental health is really important, and we try our best to make sure you feel at home.
Of the 5 hours per day, 5 days a week, your schedule will likely include 3 or 4 morning tasks and 2 or 3 afternoon or evening/night tasks. You days off likely may change every week, but once they're set, we would never change them unless there's an emergency.
►You may have a bed in the volunteer room, the staff room, or a dorm room with guests. In all cases, we will let you know before you agree to the exchange, as we know it's of utmost importance that you feel comfortable.
We are a cozy hostel on the Penthouse (4th Floor, no elevator, but with an awesome rooftop) of a historic building, placed in the historic centre of Mexico City - everything is near. You will have quick access to all kinds of public transportation and can get almost to all the hot spots walking.
We opened as a group of 3 best friends, accommodating about fifteen guests and we have expanded to the rest of the Penthouse, accommodating about forty guests. Thanks to all of our staff's hard work, we are lucky to consistently be one of the best rated hostels in the city. We have about ten staff members, receptionists, cleaning staff, security staff. We value everyone's individual journey and love to have day-to-day contact with guests, reception staff, volunteers, cleaning staff, security staff, and the neighboring businesses.
We have worked with volunteers for a few years and always try to work with them to make the experience the best possible. We have 2 kitchens, 1 for all, and 1 only for vegetarians! We now only own 1 cat (the only white cat in the building) but he doesn't hang out at the hostel very often; don't let the neighbors' cats fool you into giving them food or a bed (they love to use our plants as bathrooms). Most of our staff speaks English and Spanish, though we communicate with our cleaning and security staff, and providers in Spanish. We're moving to be more eco-friendly within the city and supporting our local economy as much as possible. We are excited to meet you and see how we can work together :)
Hilfe bei Ökoprojekten
Heimwerker- und Bauarbeiten
Zubereiten / Kochen von Mahlzeiten für die Familie
Tourismus / Gastgewerbe
Our hostel is located in a local street within the touristy area of the Historic Center. If you're looking to get a real feel for the city but still like some types of comfort and chill, our hostel is perfect. Our whole staff is either from Mexico City, Mexico, or has lived in Mexico for a while. We speak English and Spanish (some of us French and other mixes of languages) and if you are looking to improve your Spanish, we will help you :) We are located 3 blocks south of the Alameda Central on Revillagigedo Street, 1 block away from Balderas which is full of tasty, real, street food, and 2 blocks away from Independencia, which is also full of restaurants, cafes, and .... more street food. We are within walking distance of so many hotspots, located right in front of the police museum, and have a 24-7 guard for the building. We are used to helping guests plan their days on a budget and help them navigate the chaos of this city and would love to help you feel like this place is your home. We each have our own set of unique tips in the city, and we're diverse enough to have some useful recommendations for everyone. As mentioned, we have 1 white cat who sometimes hangs out; we try to stop the neighbors' cats from wandering into our hostel/pooping in our plants - oh yes, it's a real issue, but funny and strange at the same time. We are working on our eco and homegrown garden, which you can grab citronella and rosemary (working on getting the tomatoes to grow again, the neighbors cat sneaks in to use is as a bathroom; he's really sneaky). Our rooftop is one of the best places to chill, there's even a little corner for when you're not feeling social. We're excited to include you in our team and learn together, from different backgrounds and experiences.
A volunteer will generally help 5 days a week, for 5 hours on average. We try to keep it at least a little varied and work with you to understand what are the things you like to do and are good at. While you may not have experience in an assigned task, we'll work with you so you feel supported. We need folks who are friendly with guests as they arrive for the first time in the city, be empathetic, and generally excited to be in Mexico City. We need someone who has at least intermediate English and Spanish. If you have a special skill that you enjoy working on, let us know!
► Our minumum stay is at least 1 month, but we are flexible if you're bringing skills that we are in urgent need of. Here's what you'd probably work on in different schedule combos:
- 🌤 morning shifts: checking the facilities (making sure the boilers are on, the lights are turned off, the hostel looks clean and safe); preparing the day for the guests.
- afternoon maintenance shifts: painting doors or a mural; gardening (weeding plants, watering plants, planting new plants, moving soil, helping pick out which plants can work best in the environment; carpentry project (building structure for the 🌶 organic garden/green house or ♻ compost area, putting up a roof on a terrace); revamping some old walls (removing old paint, identifying humidity sources, waterproofing, repainting, etc); helping the cleaning staff clean tough spots to reach (i.e. above the lockers, doors, some parts of the windows); applying products to clean old, hard to get out stains; doing preventative cleaning and maintenance.
- afternoon activities based on skills: teaching yoga, meditation, fitness, Spanish; accompanying staff on a walking tour of the neighborhood
- evening activities: ♫ AV support during the bar nights (setting up the music and subwoofer, helping select music for the night); teaching a salsa class; hosting karaoke.
- day trips: supporting staff on an outing e.g. if it's the right season, the Floating Gardens (having fun, but helping manage the mood, guide the guests to the best food spot, make sure everyone feels comfortable, speaking with guests and practicing English/Spanish/other languages) or visits to Tepoztlan (a magical town outside of the city)
- reception shifts (if you're here for at least 1 months): one or two shifts, depending on what we need (speaking with guests so they feel at home; helping guests find restaurants; showing guests their beds, around the hostal, and where they can keep their food or cook; using a software system to keep track of guests in the hostel and 💰 charging them; bringing up and down the laundry; answer the phone with incoming requests).
- building out a tour
- helping the owners think about new ways to engage volunteers and how to improve the hostel/decoration
- working on marketing strategy
- taking over a sub-department to build out plans
- anything else that you can think of that we may need (it's all about priorities :) ) and you'd enjoy working on!
You will usually stay in a room with another volunteer/or staff member and use the same facilities in the hostel (though we have a hidden toilet just for staff!). The room has bunk beds and fits 2 people total. You may stay in a dorm room with other guests, but we'll always make that clear before you even accept coming to the hostel. We have a healthy shake every morning that's part of the exchange (or we may instead provide 1 weeks worth of breakfast food for you - this is still a work in progress, ot understand what's fair), and access to a massive kitchen and an exclusively vegetarian kitchen, often with some ingredients to cook. We're working on providing meals to each person on shift.
On your time off, enjoy what this massive city has to offer. We can help you figure out what to do! We are located right next to the metro, metrobus, bus, and can also walk to lots of place. We love this hostel and have had great experiences with our volunteers so far :) We're pretty chill folks, but are very committed to giving our guests the best experience. For us, it's important to think socially and globally about our eco footprint and how was can be an eco-friendly hostel in the middle of Mexico City (do our part and more to help local economy and environment). We work on mutual respect and learning from the work and the people we work with. We try very hard so that everyone on our team (including cleaning and security staff) feels they can have open communication with the rest of the staff and managers, so please keep the communication open if there's something you don't like!
Eingeschränkter Internet Zugang
Wir besitzen Tiere
Wir sind Raucher
We have spaces where you can get amazing WiFi, different spaces are better on different days, depending on the flow of guests.
mehr als zwei
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week
Dies sind zusätzliche optionale Bewertungen, wenn Mitglieder Feedback hinterlassen. Es wird die im Schnitt hinterlassene Bewertung für jede Option angezeigt.
Korrekte Angaben im Profil: