391 “me gusta”
WE ARE CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR 2-3 PEOPLE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN PLANTING TREES
When contacting us please note your arrival and departure dates (even if flexible) as it helps us to coordinate everybody. We host 4 individuals in a shared house but we have started refurbishing another house that will double our capacity.
We are registered as a French non profit (1901) association so it is perfectly legal for us to work with volunteers here in France. Our official purpose is to plant trees and restore deforested land in our area. We are in the Herault, it is beautiful here though sometimes quite rugged where we work.
It’s almost May so our tree planting season is over. There are always a number of things related to maintaining the fresh plantings and the nursery but other work will change focus with the season.
There are a number of construction and equipment maintenance/restoration projects to choose from. Normally there are many projects so it’s best to pick a project you like the sound of and then try get good at it. We do best with things we like to do but finding that which suits us is a process. This process is part of what we like to help you with here.
The project list goes from A to Z. It's all related to our forestry work but you can pick a field and stick with it so to speak.
- There is getting the next house ready to use - from archaeological excavations to masonry, electric & plumbing - This was 10th century church property but it’s a bit worn at the moment.
There's early morning irrigation with the water truck or the tractor with pump & trailer - There is also some work on some steep embankments that need ledges for little trees etc.
There are mechanical repairs and restorations like the brakes/turning system on a crawler tractor - and mounting it’s rotovator –
There's also work in the office with press releases and the subvention demands -
Tell us, what do you think?
I'll try to post a few pictures - -
Everything is financed through the artwork produced at our studio where there will be some opportunity for those interested refining or developing their skills in the crafts of art or the arts of craft. Most of the artwork is done before and after the planting season and there is a very wide variety of skills involved in this but this work is suited to people with existing skill, some experience and a lot of commitment.
In the 2022 season we will be working on a house that was dormant for some time so somebody with some construction ability who wants to learn more in that field might benefit. It will be a variety of projects so the house is a good example of what you run into as a first time home owner in France.
Longer-term volunteers are preferable because even though some tasks sound easy, most of them actually take a bit time to explain and then to figure out.
Ayuda en proyectos ecológicos
Proyectos de construcción y bricolaje
Ayuda con ordenadores/Internet
We are in the village of GABIAN 34320, in the département of Hérault.
The buses to come here are :
603-604 - Montpellier/Pézénas
The cultural part of living in a little village is the café after work or cafés in other villages on days off.
We are in a medieval village so you might enjoy its history and authenticity.
There are bikes you can use to visit the surroundings (a nice swimming place 45min by bike) and other villages are 20 to 40 minutes apart by bicycle depending on you and the incline.
If you have your own car you can discover beautiful villages, lakes, gorges around (Gorges d'Héric, village of Saint-Guilhem-le-désert, Salagou lake, the Devil's bridge/ Pont du Diable etc).
We sometimes go to the brocante/flee market so you could come along and discover the antique treasures that you really don't need.
1. TREE PLANTING and maintaining fresh plantations
Tree planting on land happens from mid-late October until April, after April it will be mainly in pots or bags until new season arrives.
Here are all the upcoming tasks (depending on the weather of course)
- land clearing (brushes/ reeds/ brambles etc)
- acorn scouting during hikes (find the most productive oak trees for harvesting acorns when appropriate time)
By end of September
- acorns harvest/ collecting
- acorn stratification (incubation to favor the germination rates)
- acorn/ oak planting (in pots/ root bagging/ on land)
- other tree planting on land or in bags/ pots in the nursery (depending on the quantity !!)
- dirt/ dead leaves harvests for planting-in-pot/bags sessions (when needed)
Process will always be the same : acorns harvest/ stratification/ planting
Other important tasks :
- Land clearing (brushes/ reeds/ brambles etc) happens BEFORE the planting of the trees and can occurs throughout the whole year, whenever it is needed (mainly before planting trees)
- Cleaning, maintenance, stacking firewood for winter
- Tree observation/ assessment : assess the growth of former oak trees planted (winter 2020) - quantify the success rate - find solutions to improve success rate
- Compost-pile make and maintenance
2. BUILDING - We have expertise in these fields and young helpers can often learn a lot.
- Help with hand excavations and opening up buried rooms.
- Help with resupporting and stabilizing ancient masonry and floors
- Help with electricity, plumbing, woodwork, maisonry, plaster and painting in the end
3. COMMUNICATION - all year-round
- Help with the promotion of the association on social media (current instagram account for the association)
- possibility of creating communication about the association's project (detailed/ less detailed presentation - in English AND FRENCH)
- further website development
- Administrative and creative writing for press releases and grant proposals (subventions)
4. FOR FRENCH SPEAKERS (NATIVES/FLUENT) VOLUNTEERS - all year-round
- communication project with the local communities (tiers/ like-minded associations locally or in the Hérault departement)
- assist in French translations, proof reading
- administrative tasks A to Z
We are financed through sale of artworks which is not quite as flakey as that might sound since the founder is well established.
The experience here is also a good way to get an immersion into the world of small non-profit association : learning and sharing with volunteers, using your vision to plan for your projects, financing your association, creating relationships with the locals (people, associations, public organisms, companies) etc.
If the volunteer wants to create his association/ NGO one day, then he will definitely find here an interesting experience while planting trees and working along with nature.
The accommodations are village houses that were upgraded and basically in very good condition. There are shared, bathrooms and toilets but separate bedrooms. The houses have wood burning heaters and gathering deadwood is generally part of forestry.
There is a small private patio with a palm tree
We ask for 25 hours of help a week for lodging and food.
We can pick you up at the train station or airport.
We are all fully vaccinated and think that's a very good idea but there is no absolute mandate these days
Acceso a Internet
Acceso a Internet limitado
Puede alojar familias
We have a fibre optic internet connection at the house if you bring your own laptop.
The accommodation is an individual house in the village only for volunteers. In the planting season this becomes a shared living situation with 3 sleeping areas, one kitchen, one bathroom and two toilets but there will be another house added to this soon.
Más de dos
Maximum 4-5 hours 5 days a week
Son opciones de calificación adicionales para cuando los miembros dejan sus comentarios. Se muestra la calificación media dejada en cada opción.
Precisión del perfil: