From: United States
13/05/2016 - 18/12/2017
My name is Hagen Mancuso and I am a recent college graduate (May 2016) with a degree in biology from Birmingham-Southern College in Alabama. I am looking to have unique and interesting experiences. I would like to participate in volunteering that will allow me to experience the world's beauty while also developing useful skills. I am more than happy to help out with manual labor (I played football in college). I also have experience cooking and can prepare a wide variety of food. Aside from this I am looking forward to tackling any challenges offered and look forward to meeting new people.
My past workaway experiences include:
- Newfoundland, Canada (Working with 22 year old with brain injuries)
- Silves, Portugal (Farm work with fruit harvesting and animal rescue)
- Marbella, Spain (Sierra de Las Nieves National Park, Helping with property upkeep such as trimming trees, mowing lawn, etc)
- Barcelona, Spain (English speaking practice with family with 9 year old son)
- Pau, France (Work around a castle, cutting lumber with chainsaw, landscaping work)
- Bayreuth, Germany (Work with artist/carpenter, learned how to tile, moved lumber, build brick wall, installed windows)
- Odessa, Ukraine (Interacting with children from refugee families from the east of Ukraine. Also various tasks at a school including installing furnaces, repairing doors, building a sandbox)
- Kyiv, Ukraine (English speaking practice with a family of 4: mom, dad, 2 girls aged 5 and 12)
- Cajon del Maipo, Chile (Helping with construction projects at a rural tourism location)
- Curarrehue, Chile (Working on a farm to help with various tasks)
- Coyhaique, Chile (Helping with a sustainable forestry project to process wood)
- Aigua, Uruguay (Working on a ranch, helping to collect and cut wood, repair fences, install posts)
- Corrientes, Argentina (teaching English and biology at a small school in the ibera marshlands)
- public health in Bolivia
in Mexico for my last workaway stint before starting med school.
- I have a thorough knowledge of the human body and am a certified personal trainer.
- I have experience doing work around the house such as drywalling, painting, renovating. Concrete and bricklaying experience as the result of dry composting latrine construction.
- I know my way around a boat as I grew up in south florida and my dad owns his own business as a marine mechanic. Experience with small engines and motorcycles.
- Experience working in the garden and other tasks on farms, such as milking animals and fence construction/repair, etc.
- Any heaving lifting or difficult labor I can handle.
- I have worked as a tutor for 5 years and recently have 4 months of experience working with a young man with a brain injury.
More details about my language interests
This workawayer has indicated that they would be interested in sharing their language(s) or learning a new language. You can contact them directly to discuss this.
I am very eager to learn willing to commit 100% to whatever tasks may be offered to me. As long as I am fed and given a place to sleep I will be happy. I'm looking forward to getting away from some of the stress of studying and working in the classroom and get outside to explore.
I have had many workaway experiences so far now and have been happy with every single one of them. Each has presented me with a different opportunity to learn and apply my skills in a new way, while also learning new skills. I have made friends that will last a lifetime and memories I hope to share. If you need any help and you see that your country is on the list of ones I am visiting please send me a message. I look forward to hearing from you.
***I have been told by previous hosts that it is pertinent to inform you that I eat a lot
Special dietary requirements