Chile, Costa Rica, Indonesia, Switzerland
01/08/2019 - 30/06/2020
Hello future hosts!
***update half-way through my travelling:
I am now a yoga teacher! completed an intensive 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training in Costa Rica in January 2020. I love to teach yoga and hope to get to teach on future Workaway stays.
Permaculture Design Course completed in Costa Rica in February 2020 -> I am now curious to see how it all applies on different pieces of land in different countries :-)
During Coronavirus confinment back home: making lots of vegetable fermentation and grain sprouting *****
I am taking a 1-year sabbatical to volunteer in environmental and social projects in several countries. Main ideas to look forward to this year: learning about permaculture and how to grow the food that I eat, experiencing life around dairy animals, being in contact with horses, spreading the Zero Waste lifestyle as I go, and in between volunteer time, taking time-off to reflect on my life and its meaning, connecting with people from different backgrounds, welcoming joy, music and art around me, developing my spirituality and including meditation, yoga, self-care.
I am French-American brought up in Strasbourg, France and was living and working in Basel Switzerland for the past 6 years. In this time, I made a career change from pharmaceutical drug development to environmental sustainability engagement. Environmental protection has become a passion that I live at work and at home. Being on the Zero Waste Lifestyle journey since 3 years, my trash fits in a small bag for the past year and I keep learning new things in this direction. I started the Zero Waste Basel group at the same time, organizing meetings and workshops open to all.
I love to contemplate nature and its beauty, hiking (I’ve enjoyed being in the beautiful Swiss Alps as much as I could in the past years), being outdoors. I play a bit of ukulele and guitar just for fun. I’m also quite crafty and love calligraphy and origami. The books I have been reading in the past years are mostly self-development books. I love to speak all my languages!
As a volunteer, I am very serious, reliable, enthusiastic, independent and mindful. I am social and also need time alone to recharge, journal, meditate, read. It is important for me to understand the details, purpose and background of the work so I can be sure to do the work in the right way that serves its purpose and make sure my efforts are useful to others.
Yoga Teacher: completed Yoga Teacher Training 200-hour at School Yoga Institute, Costa Rica
Permaculture Design Course completed in Costa Rica February 2020, Zero Waste ambassador since 2016, environmental awareness raising
My education is in chemistry and pharmaceutical engineering, formulating tablets as an example!
Other than that, I can do many other things and I can learn new things very fast !
My previous volunteer experience included:
- work in Lesvos, Greece (December 2018) at Showers for Sisters, providing women and their children from the Moria refugee camp with clean and safe shower facilities, I was preparing the appointment plans, driving groups back and forth from the camp to our shower facilities, preparing the facilities in the morning and closing in the evening, playing with the children while the mothers where showering, handling cases of scabies treatment in collaboration with MSF (Doctors without borders). We also handled cases of lice infection.
- Work in Samandeni Burkina Faso (December 2008), helping children with school homework and activities, helping to cook and serve food, reading bedtime stories (my favorite thing to do!), writing the newsletter to donors
Long-term volunteering included:
- Organization of a 4-day workshop called ‘Boost your Impact – How to become a Changemaker’, facilitation and logistics (it took 8months to organize, following the program by euforia)
- Green Team volunteer within the company I worked at, organizing events and publishing monthly Green Tips&Tricks.(2 years)
- Zero Waste Basel group: founding and organizing events, workshops, meetings, social media
- Volunteer at resthome for elderly in my town
- Volunteer for play evenings for children at asylum-seeker center in my town
- Volunteer at animal shelter and foster home for cats and tiny kittens
Looking forward to meeting inspiring people, learn and help making the world a better place!
Special dietary requirements