20/09/2020 - 31/12/2021
Welcome to our profile, WorkAway Hosts!
We are Chris & Maia, an Australian/Swedish couple, returned to Australia in December 2020 from a 2 year long exploration of life in Europe. Our plan is to settle in Australia permanently and hope to actualise our dream of building an eco-dwelling of sorts, and becoming self-sufficient when it comes to energy and food (at a minimum).
Recently, we finished our Permaculture Design Certificate at Byron Community College and are still exploring the Northern Rivers area of NSW. We hope to connect with hosts who are doing/interesting in one or more of following:
* Regenerative and/or Syntropic farming
* Life in Community or M.O.
* Holistic animal husbandry
* Equine Assisted Therapy (Maia is very interested in this field)
Or maybe, you're just living on a piece of land in the Northern Rivers and can offer accommodation in return for help working your land and property.
Reach out to get to know us better and vice versa!
Maia & Chris
We have a few volunteer experiences under our belt and during these we’ve gained experience in various areas:
* Gardening & Working the land - Maintenance of annual and perennial crops and orchard, chopping down trees, prune, harvest, sow and so on in a regenerative fashion with a permaculture mindset.
* Land Maintenance - Weeding, devils fig bashing, whipper snippering, digging and clearing
* Domestic Animal Care, esp. Equine and Canine - Together, we've experienced horses and dogs with special needs and are comfortable to administer medications and look after wounds. Maia is comfortable around all types of horses and a confident rider. We LOVE animals.
* Help around house - Cleaning, cooking, change of compost toilets, minor painting jobs and fix-ups around the house.
* Art projects - We’ve helped jujing up festival areas, garden beds and house facades by painting, sowing, laying stones or creating nice things out of trash.
* Tech: Chris is a computer whiz
Lastly, we have experienced many communal living situations and know how to share a space respectfully!
31 & 30
Australian / Swedish
It is important to us that our host-destination is mindful about the surrounding environment and community. We are pro regenerative practices and do not promote spraying of pesticides or the use of chemical fertilisers.
Special dietary requirements
We are locavore omnivores, however, would not consume animal products on vegan properties.