From: United Kingdom
Jordan, Nepal, New Zealand, Sri Lanka
08/04/2018 - 20/12/2020
Hola! We are an English couple on an open ended trip through South America looking to learn new skills, improve our Spanish and experience new cultures and environments. We are both hard working, enthusiastic people who are not afraid to get our hands dirty!
Before this current adventure, we spent 2 amazing years living and working in Australia. We spent the majority of that time in the hospitality industry in both huge, high capacity venues and small, intimate bars/restaurants. We love nature and the great outdoors and so chose to work in remote locations in Aus [in the outback and on islands] to allow us to explore the area like the locals do, slowly and in depth! We also enjoyed our 4 months of farmwork and would love to get stuck in with some more whist in SA!
After Australia came 3 months in India, where we truly got immersed into the vibrant cultures of the country. Whilst here we volunteered at an animal shelter, helping to feed, wash and walk the animals as well as socialise the tiny pups. We both love animals and so jump at any oportunity to work with them.
And now we are 4 months into our South America trip, we can't wait to get into the world of workaways in Peru, Colombia and Ecuador! We look forward to meeting you :)
We both have extensive experience working in bars and restaurants including:
- Preparing and serving food
- Making coffees [Barista trained]
- Bartending [Making drinks and changing kegs]
- Cash handling
- Customer service
- Event work
During our 4 month of farm work we gained some experience in:
- Picking fruit and vegetables
- Pruning plants
- Preparing the soil for and planting passionfruit vines
- Packing shed work
- Seeding, planting + tending to avocado plants
- Planting and maintaining macadamia trees
- Planting and picking pumpkins
- Building sheds, fences and irrigation systems
- Machinery work; tractors, cherry pickers, power tools
- Manual labour, digging and weeding
Other skills and interests:
- A university degree in Fashion Journalism [although choosing to put a pause on a career in that field to experience the world, some of the skills could be put to use during a workaway]
- General DIY [Painting and decorating, building furniture, gardening, deep cleaning]
- A keen interest in learning more about building techniques and increasing skills in this area.
- Animal care [having dogs, cats and other small mammals and rodents from childhood and loves to care for them]
- Working well with young children [4 young siblings under 10, helping to look after them since they were babies]
- Pretty handy with a pair of clippers [not trained in mens haircuts in any way, but is a dab hand assuming you want a short back and sides!]
- Cooking and baking [just getting into the world of vegetarian cooking and always looking to learn new things]
- Working with children and young adults
- Teaching adventure activities [qualified in archery, rifle shooting, rock climbing, abseiling, kayaking]
- Teaching sports [qualified football coach]
- General maintenance [assisting in construction, roofing, flooring, painting, forestry and landscape gardening]
- Cleaning and upkeep of hotel accommodation
29 & 30
We are looking forward to trying our hand at everything and anything that we can and making amazing memories doing it!
Special dietary requirements