I am currently
Hello! My name is Rick. I am an adventurous, positive, open minded and hard-working young man from the Netherlands. I finished my bachelors degree in applied biology in 2020, and now I am travelling through Latin America until february 2022, to learn about way of life on this continent and to have many new experiences. I enjoy hiking, fitness, nature, football, gardening, photography, and I have a passion for learning about plants and ecology.
I have a big passion for botany, and I am very interested in learning about anything that plants can do (i.e. application in building/tools, medicinal, nutritional, cultural and spiritual value). I am an aspiring regenerative farmer, and I would love to expand my knowledge regarding permaculture, urban farming, regenerative agriculture and farmlife in general. After my travels, I am going to do an 8-month regenerative apprenticeship at a farm in my home country, and after that I would love to start my own farm and feed myself and my community with food that supports life for many organisms besides humans. It is my wish to learn many new things here in Latin America, in all the various ecosystems that can be found here :).
I grew up in a semi-urban environment and I am really curious about rural life. For me, a rural environment represents freedom, nature and space. I have always adored farms and their plants, animals, tools, buildings, land and surroundings.
I am also very curious about ways of life that are new to me. I find it amazing that it is possible through Workaway to live with locals for a short while, and to share knowledge and views on life. I love new experiences and meeting new people from different cultures, as I've already learned so much from this in the past. I like to create, and to live a peaceful, healthy, and sustainable lifestyle. And of course, I love to have fun (but that probably goes for anybody) :).
So this, and wanting to improve my Spanish language skills, are the main reasons I joined workaway. If you feel like I would fit in great with you, or if you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a message!
InterestsMountainBeachNatureFitnessOutdoor activitiesHikingFarmingGardeningSustainabilityAnimalsPetsLanguagesVideographyPhotographyCooking & foodCultureHistorySelf developmentPlant care
Skills and knowledge I'd like to share or learn
I'm interested in:DIY and building projectsCreating/ Cooking family mealsAnimal CareHospitality/Tourism
Some knowledge of:General MaintenanceLife at a FarmstayEco ProjectsHelping around the houseCharity WorkLanguage practiceHelping with Computers/ Internet
Able to teach about:Gardening
More details about your skills
I am physically quite strong, hard-working, precise, caring and trustworthy. I think am pretty good at problem solving, and I simply really enjoy building, fixing and creating things. I'm not scared of physical labour, as I like to feel useful and a bit tired at the end of the day :). I also know a thing or two about nutrition and physical exercise!
I'll try to summarize my assets a little bit, so you can get a better understanding of what my strengths are:
- I have 'green fingers', as I've been very interested in (growing) plants since I was a little boy. Nowadays, I grow many different plant species at my parents house ranging from beautiful exotic flowers to carnivorous plants.
- I am educated, I completed my bachelor's degree in applied biology and I am planning to do a masters' degree when I'm done traveling.
- I love to be around animals, especially dogs. We have a Golden Retriever at home who I love to the moon and back. I also have some experience with other animals, and I am not quickly scared.
- Fluent in English and Dutch, and improving my Spanish every day.
- I always try to put at least pressure as possible on my environment. Therefore I prefer to live and travel sustainably by avoiding plastic, consuming less meat, using public transport and trying to educate myself.
- I am eager to become skilled in the Spanish language, so I will probably try to speak it as much as possible! According to me, this is by far the best way to expose myself to the amazing cultures that Spain and the many countries in Central- and Latin America have to offer.
If you have any specific questions do not hesitate to ask me!
Swahili (Kiswahili): Beginner
What else ...
I grew up in the city of Zwolle in The Netherlands with my twin brothers, my parents and my dog Tjango. During my bachelors' degree I have had some amazing experiences abroad, and I want to travel and gain some life experience before continuing my education or pursuing a professional career.
Some more information
Special dietary requirements