From: United States
15/10/2017 - 15/04/2021
AT A GLANCE: Teaching English as a Foreign Language, Horse Training, Animal Care, Outdoors/Hiking and Backcountry Backpacking, Hospitality/Hostel Work, Learning New Skills, Cooking, Being Friendly in English
Some Experience: Building/Construction (Bamboo), Gardening/Farm Work, Painting, Being Friendly in Spanish
Currently traveling in the US as the government does not have the resources to renew passports right now and mine JUST expired! I have traveled to almost 50 different countries with that passport, and look forward to international adventures in the future. For now, I have my focus set on beginning a 2021 PCT thru hike in April and readying my mind/body until then.
Anyway, hi I'm Louisa! I grew up basically free-roaming in the mountains outside Seattle. I've always had love for nature and a curiosity for the world around me which has led me to live in 8 different states all over the US (mostly working with horses) since I graduated high school, and to travel abroad in between jobs. I have since retired from the horse world to travel the real world as much as I can. Apart from my Eventing career, I also trained/cared for dogs as I was putting my self through college and trained my own Retriever through the levels of Obedience, Rally, and Agility. I play instruments and love music, and more recently picked up a passion for plants/gardening. Since traveling I've become quite a good cook, my specialty dish is making something from nothing. I am also handy as ever with a knack with knots and "jerry rigging" which has proven infinitely useful. I truly believe there is a solution to every problem.
- I've had the pleasure of hosting (and staying with!) many travelers through CouchSurfing. You can read my references to hear about their experiences with me in the links provided below!
- Since leaving the horse industry I've worked seasonally in upscale restaurants and resorts all over the West Coast of the US.
- Worked at multiple Hostels and BnBs through Colombia and Ecuador.
• Bamboo Construction
- From previous Workaways I learned about building chairs, bunkbeds, green houses, and other structures, using both hand and power tools.
- What I don't yet know, I LOVE to learn! Please teach me your ways.
- Guitar, piano, singing, teach me something new?
• Horses and Eventing Career
- I've worked at upper level barns up and down the East Coast of the US, as a rider, manager, and trainer. I spent a year working at Overlook farm for 4*️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️️ rider Sara Kozumplik Murphy and her husband Grand Prix Show Jumper Brian Murphy, which is where I met upper-level rider Madison Foote, whom I then went on to open a farm with in Michigan. After that I also worked for Olympian Jane Sleeper in Pennsylvania and managed her winter farm operations in South Carolina.
- Experience breaking young horses and retraining OTTBs.
- Adept in day-to-day farm operations and management
- Experience starting a barn from the ground up.
- I enjoy teaching both horses and riders!
Special dietary requirements