19.06.2015 - 19.08.2020
Hello! I decided to join Workaway when I was 22 (so long ago ahhhh!) and travelling around the world. I had some of the best experiences staying with locals, families and working on a range of different projects! As well as WOOFing and working for accommodation from ads on gumtree etc it was definitely one of the best things I did within my travels.
I graduated in July 2014 from Exeter University with a degree in Microbiology and Infectious Disease. Since then (after two years of solo travel and various jobs in-between) I studied for my masters at Falmouth and most recently have been living in London as a freelance graphic designer and events manager. Just before lockdown began I decided that London life wasn't for me and have been living in East Devon since March. I am starting a new job working for Falmouth University (been keen to head back down to Cornwall since I left two years ago!) and am now looking for some accommodation nearby.
I am looking to share experiences, meet new people, make friends and experience rural Cornish life. Having grown up in the countryside with a ranger as a Father and a biology teacher as a Mother I am really passionate about the natural world and conservation.
I am an outgoing person and enjoy challenging myself. I'm enjoying myself if I am with friends, be that at a music festival or having a day at the beach. I love camping, cooking, sea swimming, cycling, climbing, riding scooters, attempting to surf and actually love manual labour (couldn't be happier chopping wood for the fire, getting some DIY done, or doing building work).
I have had a job since the age of 13 and tried to support myself as much as possible through college and my time at university. This means I am lucky enough to have a variety of jobs that I have experience in.
Previous jobs include:
- Lab assistant
- Research assistant
- Beach warden
- Waitress/bartender/cold chef/front of house/barista
- Sales assistant
- Baby sitting
- Painting and decorating
- Club Promotions
- Graphic designer
- Events coordinator
I have also been lucky enough to have some great work experience which includes:
- Teaching English to children in Cambodia
- Working with Greenpeace
- Sailing in Australia
- Teaching children with learning difficulties
- Leading guided walks and educational activities for both children and adults
- Working in a veterinary lab
- Shadowing doctors and surgeons in Exeter and Bristol
- Car mechanics assistant
- Working with artists and musicians to put on events
- Film Extra (Bollywood) :)
My experiences through WOOFing have given me so much and I hope to gain the same from more Workaway placements too. It's so important to learn anything you can from other people and their way of life.
- RYA level 2 sailing
- STCW95 certificate
- First Aid Certificate
- PADI open water
- Adobe InDesign
• Social Secretary and committee member of Exeter University Rowing Club (EUBC)
• Training and competing at BUCS (Bronze medal winner) as part of the University of Exeter Rowing Club and managing this with studies and a job.
• Taking responsibility for groups of conservation volunteers at Slapton Ley Field Centre.
• Excellent communication skills with the general public from confidential telephone reception work to front of house, customer care and educational guided walks as well as organising large scale events for the Rowing Club and liaising with Alumni.
• Mentoring students with learning difficulties and mentoring fellow students at University, building relationships and confidence in others.
• Public speaking at national level.
• Leading large groups of the general public (including adults and children) in educational activities and teaching about the flora and fauna of Slapton.
- competent with mounted electical wood saw
- angle grinder
- hand held wood saw
- chopping wood
- gardening; weeding, clearing, mulching, watering, digging
- bike maintenance and basic mechanics
- pulling pints
- waiting tables
- preparing starters and desserts
- painting and decorating
- preparing B&B rooms
- taking cash and card payments
- driving license - including driving long-wheel base Landrover Defender, mopeds.
- I.T. skills - including extensive knowledge of the Adobe creative cloud and graphic design
- social media marketing
Looking forward to meeting new people and making meaningful connections.
Penicillin and randomly Shellfish! :'D
Not really but I try not to eat meat or dairy products often