Assalemalekum!/Bonjour!/hello! My name is Jessie and my partner's name is Big. We are a American/ Senegalese couple living in Dakar, Senegal. We also have a dog named Juno. We are professional musicians with a group in Dakar, Senegal. In addition to our music group we are also a socio cultural association. In the past we have gone to children's homes and played music with the kids, done concerts to raise awareness about various things, etc. This is not on a day to day basis, though.
We are located in a calm neighborhood of Dakar called Mamelles extension, in between Mamelles and Ouakam, 10 minutes from Mamelles beach by foot and the monument de la Renaissance. We live a very simple lifestyle, where we value our time and people over money and material goods. Here you will experience the famous "teranga," which means hospitality in wolof. Senegalese people are some of the warmest and friendliest people you'll ever meet, and also some of the most generous. Even people who have little to nothing will still share what they have with you and this is expected here, because the survival of the community depends on it. If you're looking to experience music scene here/ get musical connections in Dakar or learn how instruments are made, then this is a good place for you.
Heimwerker- und Bauarbeiten
Zubereiten / Kochen von Mahlzeiten für die Familie
Hilfe bei Ökoprojekten
Tourismus / Gastgewerbe
Senegal is a very social place, and you will more than anything benefit from the community life here! You will also have access to the musical commmunity here. The community here is very welcoming and will be excited to meet you. You'll get to experience communal eating around a bowl, you can learn basic wolof, practice your French, experience Senegalese culture, see Dakar, etc.
We are looking for a few different kinds of help, below are the things we could use help. Since we rent out two rooms, having a workawayer means we have to turn down clients, so we are only looking for serious workawayers who are able to contribute help that we are looking for. If you email us asking if you can stay with us and just "help out, or discover the music scene” we probably won't respond, as we get a lot of emails like that. Please be specific about what you'd like to bring or help with.
TYPES OF HELP ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Help finding funding for artists! We need help applying to grants or finding sponsors, and finding resources for where we can get funding for festival travel and transporting musicians.
- A professional quality music video / live videos for us. Ideally, we are looking for someone who can help us develop the concept, do the filming, and the post production. Only serious film makers please, or people with experience looking to develop their port folio. I already know how to do editing - we are looking for a real video artist who has experience with professional quality videos and developing a concept.
- Professional live video montages for sending to festivals.
- Professional website translation from English to French. I Speak English and French and could potentially do this myself, but I would rather it be translated by a native French speaker.
RENTAL / HOUSE RELATED PROJECTS:
- A mural artist who can paint some kind of African themed colorful mural in our house! and on the walls on roof
- Someone to clean the house and set up breakfast. (This isn’t a huge need, so could be combined with other help)
- Any other artists who have special decorating skills and can make quality decorations from scratch for the bnb. (Sewing decorative pillows, etc.)
- Help me with developing our rooftop garden/ patio space. We just got a garden going up there and want to work on expanding it
- Help building furniture and decor for rooftop (We want to set up a concert space with hang out space and a bar, maybe a fire oven? Ideas welcome!)
- Any other kind of project you can propose that involves sustainability or making it more sustainable here.
We rent out two rooms and have a shared kitchen, living room, and patio. Workawayers will stay on the roof in a tent because we don't have rooms available! it has a mattress in the tent though and its pretty cozy :). You can hang out in the house though and just sleep up on the roof
We usually spend weekends at the beach drinking tea, or going to see live music in Dakar. In your free time you can explore the city, go on exursions, visit goree island (west African slave trade port), other nearby islands, hang out with locals, jog on the corniche by the water, hang out at the beach, etc. Big has a gym that he owns so you can use that on weekdays too. A short five minute taxi away you have a great scene for nightlife, restaurants and bars. We can also organize a concert while you are here, or a grilled on the beach (grilled fish at the beach eaten communally). This does cost money though FYI
Eingeschränkter Internet Zugang
Wir besitzen Tiere
Wir sind Raucher
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week