***We are currently looking for 1-2 helpers for a 2-month stay in May-June 2022. Please contact us if you're interested and have been fully vaccinated***
We are a couple who lives near Whitehorse, Yukon with our dog, cat and chickens. We are starting our small farm on a 15 acre property overlooking the Takhini River valley. Our goal is to offer free-range turkeys and eggs to our community, within a 200-km radius of our farm. We are looking for help building, painting, gardening, taking care of the animals, etc. We are starting from scratch so there's lots to do!
Heimwerker- und Bauarbeiten
Betreuung von Tieren
Mithilfe auf einem Bauernhof
- Learn about chicken keeping, farming in cold climates, how to start a farm from scratch, etc.
- Explore the tourist attractions during your stay in Whitehorse (learn about the Klondike Gold Rush, First Nations history of Canada, natural history of the Beringia strait, etc.)
- Lots of hiking, paddling, moutain biking, etc. under the midnight sun! (Lots of trails by the house including the TransCanada Trail).
- Get a glimpse of the local life in the North
- Get tons of local advice for your travels in Yukon/Alaska
We are Emilie and Tyler. We are starting our small farm by the Takhini River, 30 min. outside of Whitehorse.
We are looking for about 4 hours of work/day in exchange for accomodation.
We are starting a small farm from scratch so there is LOTS to do!
- Maintening the garden (watering, weeding, etc.)
- Caring for the animals: chickens/turkeys (pick-up droppings with a shovel, changing the water, feeding, picking up fresh eggs, painting the chicken coop). Taking care of the pigs (feeding, watering), dog and cat (when we are away).
- Building a barn to accomodate turkeys and goats next year.
- Building/maintaining a fence
- Other: If you have any special interest or talent, please let us know.
The work shouldn't exceed 4 hours/day. Most of the work is done outside, so you will need proper clothing. The schedule can be somewhat flexible; you can work either in the morning or in the afternoon.
Our dog Meeko is a rescue dog who is very affectionate with us humans, but is reactive and doesn't like other dogs. Sorry, for this reason we can't accomodate families or people traveling with pets.
We are looking for someone :
- honest and reliable
- active and outdoorsy: you need to be OK with camping in bear country, dealing with the elements, starting a fire, etc. (We can't emphasize this enough!)
- with a good sense of initiative, self-reliance and good judgement.
- who will take all Covid precautions seriously, including being fully vaccinated before their trip.
- most importantly : with a nice positive attitude!
You will need your own vehicle as there is no transit outside city limits. We live in a rural area with not much traffic.
You will have your own private off-the-grid accomodation (no electricity/running water/Internet) in either a Mongolian yurt or a prospector tent. Blue jugs for water. Lots of privacy and beautiful views from our property. Nice hiking / biking trails nearby.
Cooking: we would prefer if you cooked your own meals. Propane stove available for cooking.
In your time off, you can explore the local trails, go paddling (we have a canoe you can use) or whatever floats your boat!
Whitehorse is a fun town with lots of tourist attractions, a few micro-breweries, interesting museums and mountains all around. It is the perfect basecamp for anyone who likes the outdoors.
Eingeschränkter Internet Zugang
Wir besitzen Tiere
Wir sind Raucher
There is room to park campervans/motorhomes but no service provided - you need to be self-sufficient with water and power.
4 hours a day, 5 days a week