Come help and stay at our oceanfront Caribbean hostel/restaurant! We're located on the island of Vieques, off the coast of Puerto Rico, and right on Esperanza's main boardwalk minutes from island activities, beaches, and dancing. 21 weekly meals included!
Vieques is unique in that it is both Spanish and English speaking, blending American and Latin cultures. Volunteers can practice their Spanish, learn Latin dances at the night spots and island parties, participate in the island’s many cultural festivals, and try some uniquely Puerto Rican meals (open air pig roasts are very popular). Our hostel hosts weekly events like beach parties, movie nights and crew dinners too where you will meet guests from around the world and most volunteers leave here with the intention of meeting up with new friends in other countries. Many volunteers come with specific goals like learning to sail, getting their scuba certification, learning to ride (many locals still use horses as their main transportation), and volunteering at the local schools. We offer free accommodations in San Juan for volunteers who want to explore the main island during their days off, and history buffs will love both the ruins on Vieques and exploring the forts in Puerto Rico.
We truly cultivate a family vibe with our Worktraders and we have had several who return to us, season after season! Some Worktraders put down more permanent roots in the Caribbean, while others fly home with a sato they adopt with the help of the Humane Society :) We are confident that you will leave here having made several new friends from Vieques and all over the world.
Dieser Host bietet Unterkunft und Bezahlung.
With four 8 bed dormitories, and fourteen private rooms, we can accommodate up to 72 guests from all over the world. We want their stay here to be a one of a kind amazing experience and work stay volunteers make that happen! We do it all including taking reservations, painting, checking in guests and cleaning the hostel. While the work is rarely physically difficult it IS real work, so we're looking for people who are self-motivated, friendly, have an eye for detail, can work in a team and take pride in a job well done.
In exchange for 25 hours per week you will get a bed in our volunteer housing, free laundry, discounted or free tours/rentals, Friday night cocktail/mocktail parties, and all meals. We also have a hostel trade agreement on the mainland so you can explore San Juan on your days off and stay for free (subject to availability). AND, a tour company we partner with provides a free clear-bottomed kayak trip to each Worktrader! We can work with you to schedule around adventures, or, you can switch shifts with other volunteers to make the most of your time in the islands. Best of all, you get to work in paradise, and spend your time off on some of the best beaches in the world!
We have a competitive program hosting up to twelve volunteers at a time and we typically fill up three months in advance, so please check our calendar for availability. Applicants range from seasoned travelers to recent high school graduates and they’re into everything from cliff jumping and kayaking to relaxing in a hammock with a beer. Come join the crew!
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CRITICAL INFORMATION!
-Our Worktrader Director will be available to you via Facebook Messenger from the moment we connect. We ask that you ask any and all questions, and address any concerns you have, before you come. Once you accept the position, you will also have access to a Facebook group so that you can talk to volunteers (past, present, and future) about their experiences! The last thing we want is for Worktraders to spend money, commit to the program, arrive on the island, then decide it isn't right for them :(
-We are looking for mature, responsible, flexible, and adventurous Worktraders who can put in a full 8-hour shift cleaning and maintaining our hostel. Customer service is our top priority! Training takes about two weeks to complete (hence our one month minimum), and we do ask that each Worktrader is familiar with ALL shift tasks. You may be asked to do any of the following as part of the exchange:
1) Front desk/reception. English is the primary language of the hostel, but we truly value our Spanish-speaking Worktraders and the assistance they provide! Guests love when we can communicate in their native language, so the more you speak, the better :)
2) Laundry (with a capacity for 72 guests, we pretty much wash, dry, and fold laundry around the clock!)
3) Deep cleaning kitchen and food service spaces
4) Deep cleaning bathrooms
5) Interior/exterior painting
6) Pressure washing
7) Daily beautification such as sweeping/mopping our community porch, pulling weeds, collecting fallen mangoes, etc.
8) Flipping guest rooms
9) Checking guests in and out of rooms: giving them tours of our seaside property, recommending your favorite spots on the island, helping them setup tours...this is the part of the job most of our Worktraders really enjoy...connecting with guests, and sharing our island home with them!
10) On an island like ours, one must expect the unexpected ;) Please be prepared to complete any reasonable task asked of you. Also, keep in mind we do clean with the preferred standard of Caribbean cleanliness: bleach, hot water, and Fabuloso :)
- We ask for a one month minimum and three month maximum commitment. Extensions may be granted to exceptional Worktraders when bunks are available.
- This position is for the hostel. Opportunities for bartending, serving, or cooking at our attached restaurant are not available through the Workaway program.
- This is a RURAL Caribbean island. While all of our sleeping spaces are enclosed (and have around-the-clock air conditioning), our community spaces are indoor/outdoor. If you have issues with working in humidity, heat exhaustion/sun exposure, or a severe aversion to tropical insects, this may not be an ideal Worktrade for you. We also have a large mango tree which expands much of our property. If you are allergic, you will most likely be unable to complete the daily hostel tasks required.
- We cannot accommodate children under age 18 or pets in our Worktrader dormitories.
Our volunteers share dorm style housing with access to all hostel amenities including common areas, laundry facilities, and the communal kitchen. You can prepare your own breakfast and lunch with the staples we provide: lunch meats and cheeses, bread, condiments, rice, beans, pasta, oats, eggs, peanut butter, etc. Worktraders often prepare breakfast & lunch and eat together!
We as your hosts also prepare and provide dinner every night. You will receive a credit of $140 a week for dinner at our attached pub, which has a huge menu, and you are able to spend up to $20 a night there. On Friday nights, we host a cocktail/mocktail party for all our Worktraders. We truly appreciate your hard work, and do all we can to make your Worktrade unforgettable!
Work stay volunteers are rarely bored here on the island. Our Hostel is located right across the street from the Caribbean Ocean and within easy walking distance of Sun Bay, Coconut Beach, Black Beach, Media Luna, and Navio Beach. Swim out to Cayo Afuero, build an ocean side bonfire, hike the trails on Cayo de Tierra, meet friends at one of the many bars and restaurants in Esperanza, or catch a publico to Isabel for shopping and big town/small city feel. Snorkel enthusiasts will love Mosquito Pier on the north side of the island (sea turtles!) or the Sugar Pier and sunken sailboat less than ¼ mile from the hostel. Our attached bar and restaurant is open later than anything else on the island and at the center of island night life for locals, tourists, and expats so you'll make friends fast and feel like a local in no time. Most tours offer discounts to hostel volunteers, too, so whether you’re coming to the island for the amazing beaches, great snorkeling, bio bay, or to practice your Spanish, we can help you experience the best of Vieques!
Eingeschränkter Internet Zugang
Wir besitzen Tiere
Wir sind Raucher
mehr als zwei
8 hours per day, worked over 3 days, plus a one hour staff meeting. 25 hours/week
Dies sind zusätzliche optionale Bewertungen, wenn Mitglieder Feedback hinterlassen. Es wird die im Schnitt hinterlassene Bewertung für jede Option angezeigt.
Korrekte Angaben im Profil: