We have a 12 hectare site in Abruzzo, Central Italy on the doorstep of the magnificent Majella Mountain. On the site, we are developing a campsite/events centre of nomadic tents (mainly yurts), renovating an old Italian house, recultivating abandoned orchards and olive fields, growing organic food and...endless projects!
The wider project is working to regenerate and repopulate the abandoned lands around the local village: helping local farmers diversify and grow biological food, maintaining olive fields which have been left, implementing sustainable tourism projects e.g. clearing the old walking paths for hikers, creating green campsites, preserving the ancient buildings of the area, and enabling the old ways of living and agriculture to not disappear.
Cooking / shopping
Help with Eco project
Helping with Tourists
Living in wild nature in a small tribe with the communication and interpersonal skills needed. Learning skills in all the mentioned activities : yurt making, land cultivation, permaculture, organic food production (including olive oil), rural house rennovation. Sustainable local development. Some Italian language practice (although we mainly speak English), learning about Italian rural mountain life, history and traditions.
- yurt making: going into the forest to coppice wood, wood working, peeling and sanding poles, steam bending wood, tying yurt trellis, canvas cutting and sewing
- land cultivation: clearing undergrowth, pruning, mulching and watering trees, creating micro ecosystems using permaculture methods, discovering new areas of the land
- organic food growing: making raised beds, planting seeds and seedlings, mulching, weeding, threshing and winnowing of grain, researching and sharing information of methods and knowledge about organic food production, traditional vegetables of Abruzzo, ancient grains of Abruzzo, harvesting and preserving fruit, saving seeds, olive harvesting
- site maintenance and development: putting up and taking down the yurts, building structures and stone walls, maintaining wells and water supply, collecting and chopping wood, maintaining compost toilets, lighting fires, maintaining road down to the site
- old house rennovation: plastering, laying concrete and tiles, designing and building wooden staircase, restoring old windows, designing and making wooden furniture
English, Italian, Hebrew
Yurts (canvas nomadic tents) with mattresses and pillows (you will need to bring your own sleeping bag). You may have to share the yurt if there are others coming to work. There is a communal kitchen tent for cooking: food is organic, vegetarian and delicious. Bathing is in a wood-fired bath, a hot bucket wash or jumping in pool or river.
What to bring: sleeping bag, bio-toiletries, towel, torch, work clothes, boots suitable for mud if there is a lot of rain, open attitude,
We are 2 people in the core with other people at various times. Our place is isolated so be ready for silence, nature and being alone sometimes. (If this seems too intense, it can be good to come with a friend!) We live quietly and simply, no alcohol or drugs or non-bio toiletries. No tobacco also, if possible. We expect people to be respectful of this amazing land and each other, and to take responsibility for themselves and their work, as a part of the whole. This is not a place for just doing a job and getting paid with food and accommodation but a project which we are all creating together. If we get along working together, there are possibilities to stay for an extended time.
We are situated in a really beautiful place in the Majella Mountains, at about 400m altitude, and there are endless hiking opportunities in the surrounding area through wild nature and lots of wildlife: deer, foxes, wild boar, badgers, falcons...
From time to time we have a sweat lodge ceremony which we prepare and go through as a group.
There are buses from the local village, Torricella Peligna, 2km away, from Lanciano and Pescara. The local area has many medieval hilltop villages, museum of Roman excavations with a complete amphitheatre, many churches and ancient springs and the beach is only 20 minutes.
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
More than two
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week