Our project aims to help the local Oaxaquenan farmer, and reconnect to nature and the local community.
In order to manifest this we are:
- Listening closely to, forming deep friendships with and treating with utmost repect the local community; their traditions, their joys, their wisdom, their struggles, the changes they are facing today.
- Developing a space that shares initiatives that allow for new economies in the village as well as mutual education on how to reconnect more sustainably with the local environment, where old Zapotec knowledge meets more modern permaculture.
- Developing a project with animals adapted to the mountains so that the people
involved gain the maximum benefit, have to connect with the animal on a daily basis and
work with respect towards nature.
- Developing a project that can sustain and nourish us and our lives here; our minds,
bodies and souls as a community.
In everything we do, we try to always approach the land, the animals and the people of these
communities with sensitivity, humility and gentleness. This is sacred ground.
The Current Situation
Development of a small mixed farm on permaculture principles - vegetable,fruit and herb gardens, milking goats, ecological water management, natural construction of houses,
stoves (all new twists on older ideas in the village)
Working with a small constant stream international volunteers to maintain and develop the farm and the workshops. Strong effort is made to socialise and integrate with local friends.
Giving regular workshops to children in local educational institutes.
The theme workshops is always connection to nature, using dynamic, interactive
techniques involving creativity and permaculture to share it.
Hilfe bei Ökoprojekten
Betreuung von Tieren
Hilfe bei Kunstprojekten
We are based in the Southern mountain range in Oaxaca, Mexico.We live with indigenous Zapotec people.The process of cultural exchange that we offer here is rich because we live alongside, have longstanding friendships and collaborate with the locals.With the volunteers we actively encourage integration with the village socially and through the workshops we run.The opportunity to live and work in this space with its wise and special people, apart from learning Spanish is a unique one
We would be looking for assistance mainly with the development of the outdoor space, care of the farm, the workshops and natural medicine. The work involved would include…
- Helping in the organic gardens: planting, mulching, making compost, maintaining the site, sign painting
- Helping with natural construction of the site; animal housing, tipis etc..all using materials and techniques straight from the Zapotec forest.
- Helping with animal care and sometimes vet care on the site
- Helping with the natural medicine service; wild harvest and preparation of the plants, maintenance of the natural pharmacy
- Giving ideas, making materials and directly participating in the kids workshops (more active in the dry season December - june)
General volunteers are always welcome, and the Specific skills we are looking for right now are:
- Experience of solar technology
- Experience of water capture
- Experience of fundraising
Of course other healers and permaculturists are more than welcome! We always love the opportunity to learn and share more.
Also a general muck in with cooking/cleaning and caring for some rather rowdy dogs and cats would be appreciated!
A beautiful earth house with 90 year old walls in the centre of the village of San Sebastian Rio Hondo, next door to me, the volunteer coordinator. Inside the house there is space for 4 volunteers, a basic kitchen facility and a wood fire for cooking and cold evenings! The toilet is a closely situated outdoor dry system and the bathing facilities are a simple shower cubicle, also closely situated.
Bed, wood, facilities and most of the food are provided (good selection of grains , garden vegetables, oil, salt, spices.
I provide grains and garden vegetables/fruit and basic housing groceries to the volunteers
There are also opportunities to visit/help out with some of the other projects going on in the village..including carpentry, weaving, various product cooperatives, an alternative school and an organic cotton project.
There are miles of mystical green forest and fresh rivers to explore, pollution free night skies with stars and a moon to howl at/play under, and tranquil mornings and evenings to meditate, stretch and sing to..
We are sufficiently centrally placed that on days off, the stunning, vibrant city of Oaxaca and the beautiful coastline are pretty equidistant.
As coordinators we live fairly busy lives.We involve the volunteers with gatherings, healing spaces and events, and we also enjoy our personal space.We appreciate volunteers who are independent and responsible
Eingeschränkter Internet Zugang
Wir besitzen Tiere
Wir sind Raucher
mehr als zwei
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week