If you enjoy building or gardening, this project is ideal for you. A charming old stone building is being slowly transformed into an artist and music studio. Generally skilled work is the theme so anyone good with their hands or enjoy complex challenges will enjoy our project. I will teach you anything you need to learn here and there's no shortage of carpentry, wood work, masonry or gardening techniques and traditions to learn !
Interested in culture, film, philosophy, psychology, science, music and artisanal knowledge, we will share good times and enjoy the surrounding beauty of this riverside hamlet. Above all, I love to meet people and let this project grow with shared experiences and cultural exchange.
I can teach you and involve you in whichever techniques are of most interest or to your skillset. I will welcome you and make you feel at home. You can stay from two or three weeks to a few more or just play it by ear.
SOYEZ LES BIENVENUES dans ce projet d'eco construction. Avoir un interet ou être experimenté en charpente, constuction terre paille, electricité, plomberlie ou masonerie, vous serez bien acceilli dans cette dependance de moulin ancien. Echanger et apprendre à se connaitre c'est un plaisir dans le cadre de ce projet.
Help with Eco project
- I am Irish-French and have lived all over, I love to share experiences !
- Determined to achieve this renovation learning ancient techniques and using eco friendly materials, valuable lessons in building and teamwork.
- Mainly french & english spoken in the house.
- A creative environment, with many tools, instruments and space to use.
- Make short films ! Or just video and/or photography together.
Here are the general tasks I will be performing, 'I've added stars out of 5 to show difficulty level ! :
*️️️️️*️️️️️*️️️️️*️️️️️ Electric & plumbing tasks
*️️️️️*️️️️️ Insulation between floors and on walls with straw & earth or other materials.
*️️️️️*️️️️️*️️️️️*️️️️️*️️️️️ Plasterboard and wooden ceilings formed for acoustic rooms.
*️️️️️*️️️️️*️️️️️ Door framing, flooring and stud wall building, oh and also an old barn door!
*️️️️️*️️️️️ Garden landscaping and vegetable growing
*️️️️️*️️️️️ Painting and rendering with traditional lime-based paint techniques
This project is especially interesting for those interested in eco-construction or traditional and modern building techniques. A lot of creativity is required . Step one of this self-renovation project is to create three bedrooms and two studio rooms totaling around 190m2... on a tight budget. The hours are flexible and the atmosphere is very laid back here. Visitors live with us for cooking and cleaning and other basic living. I share all I can to ensure you are comfortable.
All profiles are welcome and we've enjoyed meeting many different people through workaway. If you are involved in a short film, photography and/or music we can collaborate with the rudimentary equipment we have here or take your own with you! There have been a fair few collaborations here in a spontaneous way!
English, French, Spanish, Portuguese.
- One large double bedroom which is very calm !
- Full access to the garden and living spaces, any tools or facilities you need to do what you like.
- Plenty of private space with WIFI in most areas.
- Surrounding area - Nort sur Erdre - is stunning. With river in the back garden for fishing or canoeing.
- Lots of regional sites to visit including the beaches 45 mins away.
- Nightlife with trains to and from our town into Nantes city, one of the most trendy cities to visit for music & culture.
- Local transport, trains & buses only 3 miles down road, a bike ride away or a 30 min walk
Limited internet access
We have pets
We are smokers
Maximum 5 hours a day, 5 days a week