We are a registered charitable, non-profit and non-partisan human rights organization that is working with the youth, children, and women at Nchalo in Chikwawa district in the southern part of Malawi. We were registered in 2013. Our vision is to have a Malawian society where the most vulnerable children and women attain the right to survival, protection, development, and participation.
We work in close cooperation with the regional courts, prisons, police stations, schools, and community leaders chiefly in the following areas:
- Child Protection (Conducting crime and trafficking prevention programs.
- Access to Education (Sponsoring school fees and supplies, especially for street children, orphans, and girls.
- Youth and Women's Empowerment (Keeping girls in school through female teacher trainings and sanitation programs.
- Skills Development for Youth and Rehabilitation of Youth Involved in Crime (Visiting prisons and conducting life skills trainings for behavior change to children and youth in prisons.
- We work as social aids to unaccompanied children offenders in Police stations, Courts and Prisons (these are usually orphans, street children, neglected children, children who have suffered hardships and running away from abuses who are often in conflict with the law )
- Community Outreach to End Child Marriages (Involving the police to uphold the existing laws against early marriages.
- Teaching and supporting 10 Community Based Children Care centres
- Teaching and supporting 2 resource centres for children with special needs.
Learn more about our work at: .
We are also a member of a global partnership with Girls Not Bridges to end early, child, and forced marriages. Our Executive Director is the national recipient of the Children's Justice Award, awarded by the Chief Justice and High Court of Malawi in 2015.
Malawi, also known as the "Warm Heart of Africa," is one of the most attractive countries in Africa with mountains, national parks and game reserves, and beautiful lakes. Malawi is a very peaceful nation with very welcoming people.
Cuidado de niños y juegos creativos
Ayuda en proyectos ecológicos
Trabajo de caridad
Ayuda con ordenadores/Internet
Malawian people have a very rich in cultural heritage. Volunteers will be working in a well-established local NGO, living with a local Malawian family, eating local foods, and learning some Chichewa, the national language of Malawi. There are almost no other foreigners in Nchalo, so you really get to experience the heart of the country and live like a local.
En este proyecto podría haber niños. Para obtener más información, consulta nuestras directrices y consejos aquí.
Volunteers have the opportunity to advance themselves professionally and personally through their help here.
Volunteers can help with existing programs, such as:
- Visiting the district prison to work on rehabilitating children and youth offenders and providing life skills trainings for behavior change
- Conducting home visits to better understand the needs of the community and beneficiaries
- Working with female teachers to educate students on reproductive health
- Help with monthly outreach programs in surrounding villages to end child marriages
- Teaching in schools and in Community Based Children Care Centres
- Help as social aids to the unaccompanied children and youth offenders in the local police, courts and prisons
- Conducting crime prevention outreaches and trainings
- Fundraising and grant writing to support the rehabilitation of children offenders through technical skills in prisons, to support 10 Community Based Children Care Centres and to support the 2 resource centres for the children with special needs.
- Donations to support the rehabilitation of children offenders through technical skills in prisons, Donations to support 10 Community Based Children Care Centres and Donations to support the 2 resource centres for the children with special needs.
Or they can work on developing new projects, such as:
- Developing a new microfinance project for community women
- Creating income-generation strategies for and community members
- Conduct skills trainings in the community, especially in the trades
- Bringing new ideas for job creation
Chichewa, Chewa, Nyanja: Fluido
Volunteers will be given standard accommodation per Malawian standards in a homestay setup. We will provide 3 meals per day, accommodation, water and electricity, to the volunteers as part of the exchange. They will be living in good houses with electricity and running water.
Please note that free wifi is not available in Nchalo and volunteers should plan on bringing their own computers for working in the office as well as an Internet USB with a few GB of data for working (available in any major city of arrival in Malawi).
Things To Do On Your Time Off
If you would like to explore other parts of Malawi while you are here, there are a variety of things to do on your time off.
The people of Malawi are very caring and welcoming, thus sometimes volunteers can even take walks in the villages and chart with the people. In Malawi volunteers are held in high esteem and are support in their activities through the cordial friendliness they get from the local people. You can also experience village life and culture and enjoy the music, dancing and traditional cooking of Malawi.
Wildlife Safari: Majete Wildlife Reserve and Lengwe National Park are both easily accessible from Nchalo in Chikwawa - wildlife viewing can be done from the comfort of a game viewing vehicle or on a bush-walk for the more adventurous.
Climb Mount Mulanje: Mount Mulanje is the highest mountain in Malawi (over 3000 m) and is one of the most beautiful mountain areas with its dense green valleys and dazzling waterfalls. There are a number of 2/3 day hikes you can undertake in the area.
Visit Lake Malawi: Spend a weekend in Mangochi on the shores of Lake Malawi - relax by the lake, go kayaking or snorkeling!
Explore the Zomba Plateau: Go hiking in the Zomba plateau - with wild vegetation, criss-crossed by streams with tumbling waterfalls and still lakes. There are a number of trails to be explored and guides can be hired.
Acceso a Internet
Acceso a Internet limitado
Puede alojar familias
Más de dos
Maximum 4-5 hours a day, 5 days a week
En los países en vías de desarrollo (donde la mayoría de los anfitriones que están involucrados trabajan en obras de caridad, programas de desarrollo, educación entre otros), Workaway permite que algunos de nuestros anfitriones bajo este perfil, pidan a los voluntarios una pequeña donación para ayudar a la familia con las que se quedarán, a menudo menos de 5 dólares por día. Workaway permite el cargo solo cuando la donación está dirigida directamente a la familia o programas de caridad y es sólo para cubrir el costo de la estancia los voluntarios. (Todo anfitriones que haya declarado algún cargo estará claramente marcado en su listado).
Workaway NO permite listados de agencias e intermediarios o proyectos que consideramos están buscando sacar provecho de una los voluntarios.
Son opciones de calificación adicionales para cuando los miembros dejan sus comentarios. Se muestra la calificación media dejada en cada opción.
Precisión del perfil: